Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
I had an iPhone 3G and the first time I applied an InvisibleShield I was too rough while trying to get the bubbles out and I apparently damaged it because even after several days it looked awful.

After receiving a new InvisibleShield I was able to apply it nearly perfectly and it looked great. However, with my new iPhone 3GS I've tried applying the Invisible Shield (to the back only) and after 3 hours it looks HORRIBLE.

Take a look:

(Click for more pictures)

Is that normal? Will it look "flawless" after 2-3 days like the box says?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
did you squeegee it?
you may see some bubbles but will disappear within 24 hours

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Yeah, I sprayed a ton of the water solution onto the cover, and the phone, and my fingers. While I was laying the cover onto the phone I was trying to gently squeegee the water out to the edges but the thing seems really difficult to apply because it sticks/dries very, very quickly.

I'm not sure if I'm seeing bubbles or damage though...

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
It's bubbles. Possibly the worst installation I've ever seen. Sorry, that won't fix by waiting. There're too many bubbles and the bubbles are too big.

If I were you, I'd get another one and try again. If the shield was sticking making it hard to align, then you didn't use enough fluid. If you feel that you used more than enough, then the fluid sucks.

It's best to make your own. I recommend Best Skins Ever. They are cheaper, the same material as Invisible Shields, and don't come with shield spray. Add a few drops of Dawn dish detergent to a bowl of water, submerge the entire shield in the soapy water, apply to iPhone.

Make sure that when you put your fingers in the water, pull them out, and rub them together, it feels noticeably soapy compared to just regular water.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Yeah, I sprayed a ton of the water solution onto the cover, and the phone, and my fingers. While I was laying the cover onto the phone I was trying to gently squeegee the water out to the edges but the thing seems really difficult to apply because it sticks/dries very, very quickly.

I'm not sure if I'm seeing bubbles or damage though...

You don't have to spray it on your phone :eek:
only at the IS skin, and your fingers - just to protect the water sensors from tripping

And just wait, if it doesn't go out after 3 days or more then there's a problem.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I still think in 3-4 days that will look pretty damn good. Those bubbles will dissipate in time.

Next time make your own solution of clear dish soap and water. Zaggs spray isn't soapy enough and doesn't allow for much movement of the skin to position it right. It also makes the skin stick right away which makes squeezing the water out with the rubber thing very difficult.

Seriously, their solution sucks.

If you just did it you can carefully peel it off, resoak it in your own solution and slap it on there again.

Also when you are all done wrap that phone tightly in saran wrap. I have a post in here somewhere with some tips for installing these.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
those bubbles will slowly disappear. smaller ones obviously will be sooner than the larger ones. use your nails to kind of scratch it until they're pressed against the phone and you're all set. i still have a few big bubbles on my 3GS, but most of them are gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.