Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
A friend of mine is looking for a computer for college, and according to the computer requirements it does not allow a mac bootcamped with windows. They want a Windows PC period. I am wondering if there is any differences in the way a mac bootcamped and running Windows works vs a regular Windows Computer. Does certain software not work? Are there certain things that do not work? Does anyone see any major concerns with having a bootcamped mac vs a Windows PC?

Thanks

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
There is no difference, but unfortunately, some colleges just will not allow Macs. The powers-that-be have no clue what they are managing. Welcome to life.:eek:

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
I'd bring in a pc running osx, just to really piss them off.

I totally agree, I would if I were him. It probably is some computer illiterate dean or something that is making that call which means it is made without any regard to how things actually work. Thanks for the quick responses.

dlo604

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Vancouver
What college is this? I mean can you really ask for something like that considering the fact that it's really a personal preference? Besides, what if your friend already owned a Mac. I'm sorry that's like taking away freedom of choice. I thought the USA was all about democracy?

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
It's about viruses. Ignorant administrators think that a computer without virus protection will compromise their network. Running Windows, of course, will.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Bootcamp Windows, there is no difference. However, I find that Windows runs better on a comparably equipped Mac than PC.

(That reminds me that I saw a new laptop hunters ad last night and a few times this afternoon. I'm surprised it hasn't been on MR yet.)

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
What college is this? I mean can you really ask for something like that considering the fact that it's really a personal preference? Besides, what if your friend already owned a Mac. I'm sorry that's like taking away freedom of choice. I thought the USA was all about democracy?

University of Dayton...I agree with you, but they really do have a requirement not only a suggestion like most universities. I guess he is going to call them to see why on earth they are so weird about computers. Here is the page they have about the computers see if you guys can make heads or tails of it.

Attachments

• computer requirements.jpg
    computer requirements.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 675

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Bootcamp Windows, there is no difference. However, I find that Windows runs better on a comparably equipped Mac than PC.

Yea...wasn't that the joke when Windows Vista first came out...the only computers that could run it without like freezing, taking forever to load, etc were macs

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
There requirements make no sense except for one, examinations.

Maybe they have Windows based software for their examinations that lock down your computer. So if you have an Apple laptop then it would be possible to run Windows XP or Vista using VMware or Parallels and thus circumventing their system and have access to the Mac and it's features such as Safari during the exam.

I can't think of any other reason why they would restrict you this way.

If I am correct, maybe a possible solution would be to keep your Mac and then get a cheap Windows laptop that meets their minimum requirements for testing purposes.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
There requirements make no sense except for one, examinations.

Maybe they have Windows based software for their examinations that lock down your computer. So if you have an Apple laptop then it would be possible to run Windows XP or Vista using VMware or Parallels and thus circumventing their system and have access to the Mac and it's features such as Safari during the exam.

I can't think of any other reason why they would restrict you this way.

If I am correct, maybe a possible solution would be to keep your Mac and then get a cheap Windows laptop that meets their minimum requirements for testing purposes.
But one could install Slax and run XP via virtualisation too. Though to most of the world linux is still a nerds-only OS.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Well, not entirely....

There are some very discrete areas where you NEED a PC. Here are a couple I can think of off the top of my head:

1. If you are planning to utilize AutoCad in a college class, well you'll need a PC.
2. If you are attending a Law School that uses a Windows only test-taking software package (and there are MANY), well you'll need a PC.

You MAY be able to run these applications under bootcamp or Fusion/Parallels but, I would check with enrolled students at your school who use this software to see how they address this. I know for a fact that some Law Schools say you are on your own from a support standopint if you use the test taking software with either Bootcamp or a virtual machine on a Mac. And believe me, a law school prof will have zero compassion and just won't give a ***** if you are having compatibility problems on a test day.

Sometimes you need to go along to get along so be very well informed before making your purchase.

:cool:

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
With bootcamp, Windows is being run natively so you can run every windows program you would normally run on a windows pc on your bootcamped mac correct? So if there is a testing software like that you should be able to use windows on your mac just as easily (and with the same compatibility) as any other windows computer right? I do realize that you could have some problems with a virtual machine (aka parallels), but running bootcamp, it should be the exact same as a normal windows computer right?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
With bootcamp, Windows is being run natively so you can run every windows program you would normally run on a windows pc on your bootcamped mac correct? So if there is a testing software like that you should be able to use windows on your mac just as easily (and with the same compatibility) as any other windows computer right? I do realize that you could have some problems with a virtual machine (aka parallels), but running bootcamp, it should be the exact same as a normal windows computer right?

Yes. In boot camp it becomes a Windows PC.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
I'd say it's time to find a new school! :p
But seriously, that's a pretty ridiculous rule!

It is hard to make your college choice based on something like that, but you are right in that it is a real irritant. I would also think it hampers your education to limit you to having one specific (virus prone, slow, unreliable...otherwise known as windows) computer. I mean I have heard of schools requiring a specific calculator, but a computer is a bit much. And get this certain departments actually require a macbook and do not allow a windows computer! What on earth?!?

Attachments

• requirements other.jpg
    requirements other.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 272

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Yes. In boot camp it becomes a Windows PC.

I thought so, thanks for the reply. So the statement about not being allowed to have a bootcamped mac as a replacement for a Windows PC is completely ignorant basically. You would think an institution of "higher learning" would use some of that education when demanding a kid buy a computer. I guess not...

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Maybe its a hardware thing. Maybe they will be using peripherals which require a BIOS and not EFI.

toxictrix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Texas
If anyone says anything he can say he was one of those other majors then changed. I really doubt they would force you to buy a new computer because of changing majors... I really think he will be fine with a mac though.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
If anyone says anything he can say he was one of those other majors then changed. I really doubt they would force you to buy a new computer because of changing majors... I really think he will be fine with a mac though.

Good point, I agree...just stupid how a college requires a particular computer like that.

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
Pardon my ignorance . . . ;^)

University of Dayton...I agree with you, but they really do have a requirement not only a suggestion like most universities. I guess he is going to call them to see why on earth they are so weird about computers. Here is the page they have about the computers see if you guys can make heads or tails of it.

I'm running VMware with XP Pro and Windows 7 RC, and I guess I don't
consider this a "dual boot" (as they describe it) - that is, I don't have to
reboot my iMac every time I switch into PC mode. If I want to share files,
I leave them on the Mac desktop and they are instantly visible on the PC side.

As I understand things, if you do get some sort of "bug" on the PC side, the
whole VMware approach essentially "quarantines" the PC environment so
there would not be any cross-contamination out of an infected PC VM onto
MacOS.

Anyway, that probably doesn't help getting through the thick skulls of the
university IT folks . . . Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.