PDA

View Full Version : New to logic express and have a question!

derek1984
Jul 8, 2009, 08:43 PM
I just started to get into logic express and had a question. I'd like to change around some of the loops but it seems like some of them can not be changed. For example, I want an electric guitar loop to only play one chord but I can't get that because the loop can't seem to be edited. Is there another way that I can be able to get the kind of sound I am looking for or am I stuck working with the loops provided? Thanks!

deej999
Jul 9, 2009, 03:55 AM
I just started to get into logic express and had a question. I'd like to change around some of the loops but it seems like some of them can not be changed. For example, I want an electric guitar loop to only play one chord but I can't get that because the loop can't seem to be edited. Is there another way that I can be able to get the kind of sound I am looking for or am I stuck working with the loops provided? Thanks!

Hi derek,

There are two types of loops in Logic:
- Blue Apple Loops = audio loops
- Green Apple loops = Software Instrument loops (with MIDI data)

The green ones are easier to edit. You double click on the loop to open the piano roll and edit the notes as you need.

The Blue loops, being audio regions mean you can cut the region or resize the region (move mouse to lower right of region and drag). Cutting using scissors tool sounds live what you are after.

There's good video tutorials on the all aspects of Logic at www.macprovideo.com look for the Logic 8 101 tutorial. Best bang for buck i spent on learning Logic and it's enjoyable too!

deej

ChrisA
Jul 9, 2009, 10:45 AM

As described above there are two kinds of loops. One works like a piece of tape. You can trim it with scissors and splice it. The other works like sheet music and you can ease, add or change the notes with an editor.

Are you stuck with the loops provided? Certainly not. These are thousands of them available. You can buy DVDs loaded with gigabytes of loops, download loops from the Internet or you can record your own loops. You can record, buy or "find" either type of loop, audio or midi.

Notice that there is a way to enter (or "record") a midi loop using just the computer keyboard one note at a time. So if you just need one chord you can enter those notes and assign the track to a software guitar and then send that through a guitar amp modeller and (maybe) get the sound you are after.

derek1984
Jul 9, 2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I never knew about the "scissors" thing. I knew I could change the green loops but didn't know if there was any way to change the blue loops. I'll have to try it later tonight. Thanks again.