PDA

View Full Version : Chrome OS will push Apple to address failings, say analysts

MacBytes
Jul 8, 2009, 11:16 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Chrome OS will push Apple to address failings, say analysts (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090709001606)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

AlexH
Jul 8, 2009, 11:51 PM
Competition is good. :)

isaaclimdc
Jul 8, 2009, 11:53 PM
I completely agree with this.

Silencio
Jul 9, 2009, 01:53 AM
The "experts" are morons. What else is new?

If Chrome OS runs on netbooks and Apple doesn't care about netbooks, then so what? Apple has the iPhone and iPod touch to compete in that space, and will probably have a larger tablet sooner or later.

Chrome OS is an interesting idea, but in the long term will get squeezed out from the high-end by full-featured OSes (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux) and from the low-end by smartphone OSes. Google should just spend the development effort on making Android better IMO.

jayducharme
Jul 9, 2009, 05:33 AM
I really don't think Apple is too worried. I like this statement:

"Apple's never aimed at dominating the PC market," said Gottheil. "All they want is to skim the cream."

With iLife, Apple offers something that a "stripped-down" browser can't. A Chrome OS sounds like something that would appeal to the netbook crowd people who want something cheap for doing simple communication and Net work. That's never been Apple's market, and the company has repeatedly expressed no interest in low-end devices. But I agree that this move by Google will encourage Apple to keep innovating and keep their prices competitive.

BongoBanger
Jul 9, 2009, 07:14 AM
The "experts" are morons. What else is new?

If Chrome OS runs on netbooks and Apple doesn't care about netbooks, then so what? Apple has the iPhone and iPod touch to compete in that space, and will probably have a larger tablet sooner or later.

Really? So what's to stop Chrome OS being loaded on 13" laptops given that there are already 12" netbooks? It is, after all, x86 compatible.

fteoath64
Jul 9, 2009, 07:22 AM
Chrome OS is more of a threat/(opportunity) to the old Win98 PCs still running around the world. There are millions of these which will NOT go to Windows 7 due to upgrade pricing etc. So Chrome OS would find a normal fit. Besides, this being he "ultimate" Cloud Computing client in future, it will innovate and specialize very quickly to specific CPU architectures.

Imagine there is no need to run stupid Anti-Virus software to bog down an already slow PC. Chrome OS will soar. So M$ is the real target. Apple can benefit with VirtualBox doing a VM with ChromeOS to prove the ultimate sandboxed security for future Cloud Computing.:p

rdowns
Jul 9, 2009, 08:59 AM
I think Fake Steve (http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2009/07/lets-all-take-deep-breath-and-get-some.html)summed it up nicely.

MisterMe
Jul 9, 2009, 08:59 AM
Really? So what's to stop Chrome OS being loaded on 13" laptops given that there are already 12" netbooks? It is, after all, x86 compatible.And what, pray tell, does any of this have to do with MacOS X or the MacBook or MacBook Pro?

kurosov
Jul 9, 2009, 10:15 AM
And once again these 'analysts' miss the point completely.

Apple clearly have no need to release a low end laptop as they are doing very well without one and as long as they do not market such a product this OS means nothing to them.

miniConvert
Jul 9, 2009, 10:20 AM
Mhm... Apple offers 'the whole package' - that doesn't really fit very well with a stripped-down Netbook OS. Hell, my iPhone feels much more accomplished than my Dell netbook running XP on Vodafone, lol.

I don't really see how a Chrome OS will affect them. It's much more interesting for Microsoft, given that they have, what, 97% of the Netbook market now yet are holding that with a very old, very bloated OS.

A very-web-centric OS for Netbooks and low spec PCs will be awesome :)

roach
Jul 10, 2009, 10:30 AM
Netbook means nothing. All it means is it's light enough to run on netbooks, so it can run on ANY computer. This OS is created to further Google's cloud computing in the business world, and if it works there, it should also work in the consumer level...people are already using google mail and have access to google doc, calendar, ert. All directed against MS and Apple arena.

BongoBanger
Jul 10, 2009, 11:01 AM
And what, pray tell, does any of this have to do with MacOS X or the MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Aside from the competition from an OS that touts itself as safe, secure and 'just works' yet can be used on multiple - and therefore cheaper - platform variants you mean?

MisterMe
Jul 10, 2009, 12:36 PM
Aside from the competition from an OS that touts itself as safe, secure and 'just works' yet can be used on multiple - and therefore cheaper - platform variants you mean?Now, you are just stringing words together. The Chrome OS will be yet another Linux-based operating system. There is nothing to suggest that this Linux variant will receive a better popular reception than any of the Linux variants that have gone before.

BittenApple
Jul 10, 2009, 12:38 PM
Competition always drives innovation in Apple. However it'll be at least a year until we see any of this develop into anything of substance. Apple has a big heads up in the OS game...

BongoBanger
Jul 10, 2009, 01:14 PM
Now, you are just stringing words together. The Chrome OS will be yet another Linux-based operating system. There is nothing to suggest that this Linux variant will receive a better popular reception than any of the Linux variants that have gone before.

Which hasn't stopped a lot of commenters and bloggers proclaiming this as the death of MS.

Sauce for the goose and all that.

kmiahali
Jul 10, 2009, 02:32 PM
Seems like a somewhat fair competition.

BoyBach
Jul 10, 2009, 02:40 PM
At the moment Google's OS is nothing more than vapourware. I'd guess that neither Microsoft or Apple are too concerned. The Linux community, however...

rjohnstone
Jul 10, 2009, 04:10 PM
I think Fake Steve (http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2009/07/lets-all-take-deep-breath-and-get-some.html)summed it up nicely.
That was a great write up! :p

MacDawg
Jul 10, 2009, 04:34 PM
Other Operating Systems that are challenging for a share of the marketplace...

ReVo OS (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=290562)

Phoenix OS (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=193893)

Woof, Woof - Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

MisterMe
Jul 10, 2009, 06:03 PM
Which hasn't stopped a lot of commenters and bloggers proclaiming this as the death of MS.

...Again you just string words together. You have yet to present a coherent argument or even a statement of how this affects the Mac in any way.

BongoBanger
Jul 11, 2009, 08:41 AM
Again you just string words together. You have yet to present a coherent argument or even a statement of how this affects the Mac in any way.

I'm not sure how it can be any simpler. If Google make an OS that is safe, secure and runs on multiple hardware configurations and this OS can be used on 13" laptops then it's going to eat into Microsoft's and Apple's market share.

MisterMe
Jul 11, 2009, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure how it can be any simpler. If Google make an OS that is safe, secure and runs on multiple hardware configurations and this OS can be used on 13" laptops then it's going to eat into Microsoft's and Apple's market share.The primary market for the OS will be OEMs. To the extent that even a single OEM installation of ChromeOS will come out of Microsoft's hide, it is trivially true that ChromeOS will hurt Microsoft. Whether it is short term or long term, is a guess. I am guessing short term. MacOS X, however, is not a merchant OS. It does, however, provide complete support for Apple's computer hardware. ChromeOS does not. Except as a curiosity, there is no reason for a Mac user to switch to ChromeOS. Even if some do, however, Apple would lose no marketshare because its OS was sold with its hardware.

BongoBanger
Jul 11, 2009, 12:52 PM
The primary market for the OS will be OEMs. To the extent that even a single OEM installation of ChromeOS will come out of Microsoft's hide, it is trivially true that ChromeOS will hurt Microsoft. Whether it is short term or long term, is a guess. I am guessing short term. MacOS X, however, is not a merchant OS. It does, however, provide complete support for Apple's computer hardware. ChromeOS does not. Except as a curiosity, there is no reason for a Mac user to switch to ChromeOS. Even if some do, however, Apple would lose no marketshare because its OS was sold with its hardware.

Whether you like it or not Apple are an OEM. Until now people wanting to switch from Windows to a platform that is viewed as more stable and secure have had precisely one choice with that choice coming at a premium price. If Chrome OS comes to fruition and delivers on its promise that will no longer be the case.

You're being incredibly naive if you think that no Mac owner will consider a switch. Although anecdotal I would as would two of my Mac owning friends because the point is experience and usage - the usage of my Mac is browsing and light productivity. If Chrome OS can match the experience at a reduced cost on a greater choice of hardware then I - and I suspect many others - will vote with their feet.

At the moment though it remains to be seen if Google can deliver a product that can threaten either MS or Apple. That said, let's be clear here - Google are interested in maximising their profit lines and don't really care if that involves taking sales from MS, Apple or both.

clevin
Jul 11, 2009, 01:09 PM
It does, however, provide complete support for Apple's computer hardware. ChromeOS does not. Except as a curiosity, there is no reason for a Mac user to switch to ChromeOS.

you are guessing too much, both statements above can easily be untrue, and any conclusion drew from individual's guess probably holds little water in reality.

I stated clearly about my doubt about google OS: I doubt it will reach 2% by 2012.

Google does have the power to surprise me, which I have no question about, so I will reserve my judgment on their OS attempt until I see it. But since an OS is much more complicated than a browser, and it needs to provide support for a variety of hardware/softwares, I do feel the chance of google OS getting any where more than 2% is quite low.

MisterMe
Jul 11, 2009, 08:17 PM
Whether you like it or not Apple are an OEM. ... If Chrome OS can match the experience at a reduced cost on a greater choice of hardware then I - and I suspect many others - will vote with their feet.

...Let's get a couple of things straight.

One, if Mac users had wanted underpowered computers selling for a few hundred dollars, they would have abandoned Apple long ago. They would not have waited for Chrome OS to do so. Even as alternatives sink lower and lower in price, Apple gains marketshare. The notion that this trend will suddenly reverse itself is fantasy.

Two, the Chrome OS will not be run on a new hardware platform. It will run on the same platforms that currently run Windows. Assuming that Chrome OS actually sees the light of day and that OEMs adopt it, these will be our market options:

Cheap Windows-compatible hardware running Chrome OS.
Cheap Windows-compatible hardware running Windows.
Apple-branded hardware running MacOS X (and possibly Windows).

If I were running Apple, I would not be particularly worried.

BongoBanger
Jul 12, 2009, 03:24 AM
Let's get a couple of things straight.

One, if Mac users had wanted underpowered computers selling for a few hundred dollars, they would have abandoned Apple long ago. They would not have waited for Chrome OS to do so. Even as alternatives sink lower and lower in price, Apple gains marketshare. The notion that this trend will suddenly reverse itself is fantasy.

On what basis? Where would they have gone - Linux as it is now? I doubt it since Linux has had no marketing presence. Google on the other hand have the money and nous to push this product.

Hardcore Mac users are unlikely to switch. Those who have recently switched or those who may be considering switching in the future will have a choice.

Two, the Chrome OS will not be run on a new hardware platform. It will run on the same platforms that currently run Windows.

And, since it runs on x86 architecture, Macs.

sushi
Jul 12, 2009, 03:34 AM
Good read! :)

As the touch based applications get more powerful, the iPhone/iPod touch are in some ways, becoming Apple's Netbook. It is surprising what one can do already and it's only going to get better.

It will be interesting to see what all those 10.4 inch displays are for be it a new larger touch/tablet device or a Netbook.

ibosie
Jul 12, 2009, 03:45 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Chrome OS will push Apple to address failings, say analysts (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090709001606)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

I've always wondered why none of the players are trying to emulate Apple's success with a unix flavour OS. Developing software on Windows is not a threat but Linux? The competition will be good for Macs too.

Quillz
Jul 12, 2009, 04:04 AM
I don't really see how a Chrome OS will affect them. It's much more interesting for Microsoft, given that they have, what, 97% of the Netbook market now yet are holding that with a very old, very bloated OS.

XP is old, but it's not bloated. I'd like you to provide some technical evidence supporting your statement.

Also, Windows 7 will eventually be pre-loaded on new netbooks, and it runs even better than does XP, due to a lot of back-end kernel work.

Thus, while I don't think the Chrome OS will ever gain serious market share (just like Mac OS X or Linux), it will still provide competition across the board, creating better products for everyone in the end, no matter which OS you end up using. It's only a good thing, really.

clevin
Jul 12, 2009, 08:29 AM
Let's get a couple of things straight.

Two, the Chrome OS will not be run on a new hardware platform. It will run on the same platforms that currently run Windows. Assuming that Chrome OS actually sees the light of day and that OEMs adopt it, these will be our market options:

Cheap Windows-compatible hardware running Chrome OS.
Cheap Windows-compatible hardware running Windows.
Apple-branded hardware running MacOS X (and possibly Windows).

If I were running Apple, I would not be particularly worried.
There is a point to be made that google OS is too simple to accomplish sophisticated tasks that every computer users are more or less want to do from time to time. But that point applies to both Macs and PCs.

IF, a big IF, google OS is at the same level as windows 7 and osx snow leopard, which is about the time of release, then all your three options are open, and plus #4, all other windows compatible hardwares.

but if google os turn out to be just a cloud based, web centric piece of web app platform, it will get nothing significant from all those options. To treat netbook as a piece gadget with limited capability at a mobile phone level is stupid. I sincerely hope google is smarter than that.

Finally, if google managed to present a good, capable OS at win7 and OSX level, it would just simply block, or reduce the chance of apple entering that market. Windows does have overwhelming market on netbooks. But netbook market itself is still not big among all computers, so any loss here will not be as great as it seems.
Mhm... Apple offers 'the whole package' - that doesn't really fit very well with a stripped-down Netbook OS. Hell, my iPhone feels much more accomplished than my Dell netbook running XP on Vodafone, lol.

A very-web-centric OS for Netbooks and low spec PCs will be awesome :)

its first time I heard people complaining XP being bloated. giving the fact that it only takes 1.5GB HDD, compare to 15GB of win7 and 11GB of Leopard.

Maybe you dont ask too much from your netbook because you have numerous gadget :), but a netbook does more than your iPhone, by a thousands miles. Its a computer, in one sentence.

MisterMe
Jul 12, 2009, 09:15 AM

And, since it runs on x86 architecture, Macs.The x86 is an instruction set architecture (ISA), not a computer architecture.

clevin
Jul 12, 2009, 09:18 AM
The x86 is an instruction set architecture (ISA), not a computer architecture.

if google OS were to be a somewhat full featured Linux OS, Its highly likely that It will be able to run on Macs, just like most current linux distroes.

I failed to see why this point is in dispute at all.

BongoBanger
Jul 12, 2009, 09:56 AM
The x86 is an instruction set architecture (ISA), not a computer architecture.

I know. What point are you trying to make here?

windywoo
Jul 12, 2009, 02:11 PM
There is nothing to suggest that this Linux variant will receive a better popular reception than any of the Linux variants that have gone before.

Google's name alone gives this a better chance than other Linux variants. Then there is their browser which has something like 2% of the browser share which is a decent achievement considering how long its been out. And if google advertise this in the same way they advertised their browser (just below the search box) then it will receive more publicity than any other Linux distribution.

This is probably not relevant to existing Mac users, but if people are looking for an alternative to Windows then they might choose Google Chrome OS instead of Mac OSX.

MisterMe
Jul 12, 2009, 09:23 PM
Google's name alone gives this a better chance than other Linux variants. ...Apple has 33 years developing operating systems. Microsoft has nearly as much experience. Google has how much? Zero? Yeah, Google's name will make all the difference :rolleyes:

roach
Jul 13, 2009, 10:12 AM
Hmmm...I wonder if European version will come with Chrome browser? An interesting dilemma considering Google intention on pushing cloud computing.

windywoo
Jul 14, 2009, 12:00 AM
Apple has 33 years developing operating systems. Microsoft has nearly as much experience. Google has how much? Zero? Yeah, Google's name will make all the difference :rolleyes:

Google is known and trusted by millions of users the world over. If those users see Google's name on something they are more likely to give it their attention than something called Ubuntu.