Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwawn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Hey everyone. I got a brand new 15" PowerBook G4 with 80GB 5400RPM drive. It's a wonderful machine, but there's one thing that seems a bit unsettling to me, but maybe it's normal and I'd like to hear from everyone else with the same machine.

When I put the machine to sleep, I continue to hear a very, very faint high-pitched buzzing noise from the right-side of the machine. I believe this is where the hard drive is. Does everyone else hear this? The noise is almost inaudible from a couple feet away, but is pretty clear when I put my ear near the keyboard on that side.

Thanks for any insight any of you can provide!

bwawn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
iShater said:
Does it sound like the noise you hear from the power supply brick?

My power supply brick appears to be completely silent.

I'm thinking it might be the hard drive because I also have 3.5" Maxtor hard drive that makes a slight whining noise while asleep, but I always considered that to be abnormal too.

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
I have this too. For me, unplugging the AC makes it a lot quieter, but there is still a little noise. I brought this up when I was getting my LCD replaced, and they replaced the logic board, but I'm still getting the problem. My 80GB HD is 4200 rpm, though, by Fujitsu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.