Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
God knows what happened at that "lively, Catholic comprehensive school with a very special, warm ethos" school… :eek:

A science teacher has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a boy of 14 and two other pupils were hurt at a Nottinghamshire school.

The boy is said to be in a serious condition in hospital following the incident at All Saints' Roman Catholic School in Mansfield.

Science teacher Peter Harvey, 49, is being questioned by detectives.

Det Supt Adrian Pearson said a weapon was used and there were a "number of witnesses".

BBC link…

Reminds me of my own school days.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
God knows what happened at that "lively, Catholic comprehensive school with a very special, warm ethos" school… :eek:

We certainly don't if all we go by is the article. Talk about vague, could the author be any less specific? No word on what injuries were sustained, what weapon was used. Was it "Toonder and Lightning" ala Ingemar Johansson? (Yup, kids now a days had that coming.:rolleyes:). Was it a hickory stick?

"School days, school days.
Dear old golden rule days.
Reading and writing and 'rithmetic.
Taught to the tune of a hickory stick."

If I had to guess, it involved a science experiment and highly volatile chemicals. "Yes, classroom goes 'Boom,' Ralphie."

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
The BBC is still keeping mum, but the rest of the media are revealing more.

Mr Harvey, an experienced and well respected teacher, is said to have "snapped" and lost control after the teenager allegedly swore at him during a physics lesson.

It is believed he grabbed the nearest thing to hand, a measuring weight, and hit Jack several times around the head.

As pupils rushed to his aid and attempted to pull Mr Harvey away, he is accused of assaulting two other 14 year-olds, a boy and a girl, who were not seriously injured.

Police called to the scene found Jack lying in blood at the entrance to the classroom.

Link…

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
My money is on this child having sworn at the teacher repeatedly in the past. No excuse for the teacher's actions, but if I'm right I hope that the authorities realise events such as this are going to happen unless they allow teachers to both enforce discipline and exclude repeat misbehaviours from lessons.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
My money is on this child having sworn at the teacher repeatedly in the past. No excuse for the teacher's actions, but if I'm right I hope that the authorities realise events such as this are going to happen unless they allow teachers to both enforce discipline and exclude repeat misbehaviours from lessons.

True.

It's too hard to properly punish students these days, or even fire a crappy employee.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The teacher was supposedly nicknamed 'The Nutty Professor'.......

I wonder what Alanis would say ? Somthing to do with irony perhaps ?

A science teacher was last night being quizzed on suspicion of attempting to murder a pupil in front of his packed class.

Peter Harvey - affectionately dubbed "The Nutty Professor" - allegedly used a heavy metal weight to attack 14-year-old Jack Waterhouse, leaving him fighting for life.

The eccentric teacher, 49, is said to have lost control after the youngster swore at him during a physics lesson.

Last night it was claimed Harvey had a row with a girl who told him: "F*** off, you bald c***." She is then said to have ripped a text book.

As the bell rang to end class, the teacher is reported to have kicked the girl's bag and said words to the effect of: "If you damage school property, school is going to damage your property."

Jack is said to have then intervened and sworn at Harvey, who is then alleged to have taken the weight from a set of scales and flung it, hitting the boy in the forehead.

Jack is said to have fallen to the ground and the teacher to have stood over his pupil, before picking up the weight and striking him with it.

As Jack lay with blood pouring from his wounds, a boy and girl - both also 14 - reportedly dragged Harvey from his victim and restrained him.

The teacher - said to have been off work with stress earlier this year - was last night also being quizzed for allegedly assaulting the two pupils.

They did not need hospital treatment and were yesterday back at school following Wednesday's attack during a Year Eight lesson at 1,170-pupil All Saints' Roman Catholic Comprehensive in Mansfield, Notts.

Jack suffered head injuries and severe blood loss and at one stage was said to be critical at Nottingham's Queen's Medical Centre. He was yesterday "serious but improving" with his family at his bedside.

oh link....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...er-attempted-murder-of-pupil-115875-21508480/

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
^ this is all probably many a teachers secret fantasy :eek:

This is exactly why I won't become a teacher. I would plot murder or at least mild bodily harm on a daily basis.

Last night it was claimed Harvey had a row with a girl who told him: "F*** off, you bald c***." She is then said to have ripped a text book.

Sounds like one of the extreme cases I went to school with

the teacher is reported to have kicked the girl's bag and said words to the effect of: "If you damage school property, school is going to damage your property."

I laughed. I know it's irresponsible, but I was always on the side of teachers like this. Then again, none of mine ever thought stoving someone's head in was the next logical step.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
My Stepmom is a teacher, and for the past 5 years as worked in an inner city school district. She has dealt with some very poor behaving children as well as parents who think their kids can never do any wrong. The problem starts with the parents, and I think most of us see this. Though the kid should have not done whatever the kid actually did and some discipline should have been given, the teacher was way out of line and he himself should be disciplined.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.