PDA

View Full Version : Logic Pro, 16 track Midi, Mac Mini 2009

wilycoder
Jul 9, 2009, 09:30 AM
I have Logic 8 and a Mac Mini 2009 w/4GB of RAM.

Can this machine handle a 16 track MIDI song in logic?

ChrisA
Jul 9, 2009, 10:49 AM
I have Logic 8 and a Mac Mini 2009 w/4GB of RAM.

Can this machine handle a 16 track MIDI song in logic?

Yes. You can verify this by trying it in Garage Band. Put some midi tracks in GB and watch the Activity Meter.

GB and Logic, under the hood, have the same engine. so the processing requirements in GB and Logic are the same.

Halvdan
Jul 10, 2009, 08:10 PM
MIDI in itself is just a set of (extremely) lightweight commands to enable devices to communicate. Logic could probably handle thousands of tracks of just MIDI on almost any system. It's like asking if a grown man can carry the weight of 16 feathers at once... :-)

The question I _think_ you're asking, though, is related to running 16 tracks of synths/virtual instruments (which are played/respond to MIDI). The short answer is yes, absolutely. The much more correct answer is that it depends on the synths/instruments you are running, how you run them, and the bit rate and depth in which you run the session... Some VI's can command all your system resources (ex. omnisphere) if you set them up correctly, while some are very lightweight. You'll just have to find out.

What I can tell you, tho, is that any modern apple system is more than capable of running large logic sessions. My MBP with fairly modest specs runs 50 tracks with fair amounts of processing happily...

wilycoder
Jul 10, 2009, 10:06 PM
The question I _think_ you're asking, though, is related to running 16 tracks of synths/virtual instruments (which are played/respond to MIDI). The short answer is yes, absolutely. The much more correct answer is that it depends on the synths/instruments you are running, how you run them, and the bit rate and depth in which you run the session... Some VI's can command all your system resources (ex. omnisphere) if you set them up correctly, while some are very lightweight. You'll just have to find out.

Thanks, that's what I was trying to ask.

16 virtual instrument tracks :)

My plan is to get good using 16 tracks or so, and during that time save up for a mac pro.

Halvdan
Jul 11, 2009, 12:37 AM
The trick is to get good at using as few tracks as possible, to be honest. If you learn to think economically about how you use your resources, and how you utilize logic (bounce down tracks as you go, use the freeze track function etc.) you'll be able to do huge sessions on the mini. In fact, the mini is capable of quite a lot anyways. The mac pro is cool if it pays your bills, but in no way a fast track to creating good music. :) In fact, a lot of pros do their work on laptops anyways these days... People were able to do complete in the box productions on G3's in their heyday (some still do...), so it's def. not about computing power, but how you use it.

Good luck on your musical ventures. :)