Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ezekel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Royal Oak
i can gaurentee u taht this will not be a whats better thread. im in my second yr of college and decided to get a laptop..more speficilly a 12" variety. but the question is which one.

i would be using for surfing chatting email..small usage of photoshop flash dreamweaver no games though.

im a business major so itll be basiclly word processing and such. so the question is..do i splurge on the sweet looking pb or save money and get the ibook?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
ezekel said:
im a business major so itll be basiclly word processing and such. so the question is..do i splurge on the sweet looking pb or save money and get the ibook?

iBook will suffice, in terms of computing power. but only you can answer exactly the question you posed. do *you* want to splurge on a PB or do *you* want to save money and get an iBook?

no one else can answer that for you.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The iBook may be scuffed and scratched easier than the PowerBook, but the polycarbonate case of the iBook is more durable than PowerBook.

Which makes the iBook easier to scratch but the case is harder to bend, dent, tear, etc.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
if you have to ask, then the ibook is for you. it is powerful enough but a lot cheaper. ibook is more durable and has better battery life & wireless reception, so the only reason that would force you to buy a powerbook would be an utter need for speed. and, to repeat myself, if you need to ask, you don't have the need.

get the 12" ibook, you won't regret it.

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
virividox said:
powerbook has an ooo-ahhhh factor so add that in as well

its thinner too
more max ram if you care to add later on

Actually the 12" PowerBook, like the IBook can only handle 1.25GB or RAM so don't let that be a desiding factore. Infact, appart from the small speed difference, the most noticable differance between the too 12" models is the price - though this could be argued ;).

Sun Baked said:
The iBook may be scuffed and scratched easier than the PowerBook, but the polycarbonate case of the iBook is more durable than PowerBook.

Which makes the iBook easier to scratch but the case is harder to bend, dent, tear, etc.

Mmmm, something Apple needs to look at me thinks, maybe the next PowerBook line (G5 hopefully) will fix this. Though why a thinner polycarbonate layer couldnt be inlayed within a thinner version of the PowerBooks scratch proof shell is beond me ;).

In anycase i'd go with the IBook right now, but then i am ordering mine in a few days so ;). It should be able to handle everything you're looking at it for. I'm currently work as a programmer/developer and im sure it will be able to do everything i throw at it :cool:.

But then i plan to max out the RAM more or less straight away, maybe something you might want to consider?

Mark.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Mmmm, something Apple needs to look at me thinks, maybe the next PowerBook line (G5 hopefully) will fix this. Though why a thinner polycarbonate layer couldnt be inlayed within a thinner version of the PowerBooks scratch proof shell is beond me .
Heat dissipation. Cost.

Actually the 12" PowerBook, like the IBook can only handle 1.25GB or RAM so don't let that be a desiding factore. Infact, appart from the small speed difference, the most noticable differance between the too 12" models is the price - though this could be argued .

If you use an external monitor, you can't use it at higher than 1024 x 768 resolution because all the iBook does is mirror the iBook. The PB can get better resolution. The 64MB card would also be of help if you're doing anything graphics related. System bus of the PB is faster, so its not just the cpu that makes the system faster The keyboard is better. The display is better. Bigger hard drive. Option for a faster hard drive is available. Better keyboard. That's the difference. There are some downsides, though.

If the iBook specs are good for you, then get it. Its a great system, and its even better considering how much you pay for it. Its not only good because its cheaper, though. Its genuinely a good system. I bought a PB even though I have the same computer needs as you, but if the iBook had a G4 at the time, I would have bought a G4 iBook. I'm veeeery happy about my PB, don't get me wrong, but since I had never played with an Alu PB until I unpacked my Apple box, and I had used an iBook, I would have happily chosen a G4 iBook. :) Now that I've played with both, I see that the differences are minimal for my needs.

(Mine looks better, though) :D

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
Abstract said:
Heat dissipation. Cost.

I'm sure they could find an acceptable ratio or the two materials, i mean the outer, scratch proof layer would have to be what, no more than a mm thick and the polycarbonate layer could be ajusted to find the optimum mix of heat dissipation and strengh :). Or maybe thats just the idealist in me. The cost, now that one is harder to get around though i dout it would add a huge amount to the price we're already paying.

Heheh anyway, i'll conseed my point, but both are very good systems! Admitadly i'd be getting a 15" PowerBook instead if i had the money right now. But of the too i think the IBook wins over the 12" Powerbook simply because of the low price and compared features. Both 12" models in theory could support up to 2GB of memory if Apple would stop soldering the 256MB RAM chips in there ;), IMO.

Cost:

IBook G4 + 60GB HD + BTO + AirportExtream = 788.139 (GBP)

V.S.

PowerBook G4 = 982.45 (GBP)

It's up to you of course, this mearly shows the price of the IBook fitted with the features included in the PowerBook. All prices converted from those on apple.com.au

Mark.

P.S. don't forget to pick up your educational discount though and save some money!

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I would get the iBook. It meets your needs, it is cheaper and has the better battery life, which I am sure would be useful to you in college. It will last many years. You can use the extra cash for more memory software or an iPod :)

ezekel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Royal Oak
well i have a mini ipod so thats taken care of :)

im just curious about the change in vid cards..thats one of the major concerns i have. its a big jump from 32 to 64 but with me doin moderate graphic works for websites etc...both seem to handle it very well.

i would also buy ram from crucial instead of from apple. so i would be looking at 1105 for a 12" powerbook with 60gb hdd and airport.

the pb looks so sexy though :D

win_convert

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
Aus.
netytan said:
I'm sure they could find an acceptable ratio or the two materials, i mean the outer, scratch proof layer would have to be what, no more than a mm thick and the polycarbonate layer could be ajusted to find the optimum mix of heat dissipation and strengh

- er, that's what we call paint. We have tried that already and it is now flaking off.

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
Urm, no... read my post again and it should be pretty clear that what i was discribing is not paint, nore anything like paint. What i was thinking - and to my mind clearly discribed - was a case made up of two thinner layers of the two materials rather than one or the other :p

Mark.

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
ezekel said:
im just curious about the change in vid cards..thats one of the major concerns i have. its a big jump from 32 to 64 but with me doin moderate graphic works for websites etc...both seem to handle it very well.

I'm not sure if this is right but to my mind it makes sence. The Ibook's graphics card has enough power to play the latest 3D games* aswell as ensure a full frame rate while watching DVD's with millions of colors. Bother are very graphical tasks and both are handles increadable.

*I tried running BloodRayne on my dads PC laptop earlier this year, which to my mind has a very good PC graphics card, aswell as a nice 3D excelerator. Needless to say i had little to no success - since the graphics card couldn't handle it at all. This says a lot since the very same game has been quoted to run on the IBook perfectly.

I don't think it's a huge proble, although the 64MB would be nice, but only available in the PowerBook (outa my price range right now). Which means paying more for it :).

Anyway i hope this puts things in perspective,

Mark.

ezekel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Royal Oak
it does mark. thank you very much. ill prob go with ibook for cost and durability..

now..any ibook to pb mods :D

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
Possibly something noone has considered bu AppleCare is about twice as expensive for a PowerBook as it is for the IBook depending on currency conversion and VAT/GST.

Mark.

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
ezekel said:
now..any ibook to pb mods :D

Permit me to be the dumb one but, how do you mean any Ibook to Powerbook mods? It sounds like a what feature set should i add i.e. 60GB HD etc. but i cant be sure so, best to ask :eek:

Mark.

Ozi

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2004
Melbourne, Australia.
im happy with my 15" pBook... *strokes lovingly*

however, iBooks are pretty much perfect for someone with your needs. They are still quick enough to do any of the required tasks you have. It will take a little longer when doing CPU and GPU intensive stuff, but this is more a hobby for you, not your actual profession, so I wouldnt worry about it. :)

*ozi storytime* I just talked a 35 year old from my church into buying an iBook. She was having HEAPS of trouble printing off some minutes of a meeting I had emailed her, so I took pBook around to her house. I burnt a CD of music (Evanescence, the first unreleased version, I would buy it legally if it was available) and it only took 3 minutes to burn the whole thing as Audio Format (so 720MB burnt in 3 minutes.... i was happy!)

And then i opened appleworks, plugged the USB for her printer into one of my two USB ports, and Apple detected the printer and set it up (no need to download drivers!) and printed it off straight away! :D

She was very impressed by the amazing good looks... she also thought the computer was pretty as well. *boom boom*

And then I surfed to http://www.apple.com.au/ibook/ and showed her the pretty computer, and took her to the educational section (she is a student) and specced out the iBook best suited for her needs.

Now, 5 days later, she tells me its arrived! YAY! she went for the 14" combo, 512MB Ram... its a perfect computer for her, as a student. Im so proud... hopefully Apple will ring me soon and offer me a job as a computer retailer for them! :D

~ozi

oh and if you are too worried about your iBook getting scratched, you can buy special covers for them. I tried to find the link where I saw this but sorry I couldnt.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Abstract said:
If you use an external monitor, you can't use it at higher than 1024 x 768 resolution because all the iBook does is mirror the iBook.

this can be modified - of course at own risk - with a simple software upgrade. ibooks have only been crippled software-wise.

tekno_geek911

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
ezekel said:
:D

I would take the 32MB Radeon over the 64MB nVidia anyday!

If you havent made up your mind yet, go for the ibook. for a long time i was indecisive on which to buy. I'd need it for school, typing, some games, picture editing. In short, nothing serious for buisness or such. I really wanted a powerbook, mostly because it looks really cool. I finally chose ibook and im glad i did. Its much cheaper, and i spent the extra on upgrades for it. I got 14 inch, 768 ram, AE, and bluetooth. With student discount thats not too bad. I figure once i get a full time job after school i can save up for the cooler metal powerbook. Needless to say, my ibook gets endless compliments, i woudnt call it ugly...now dell? thats ugly. (dont shoot me its my opinion)

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
i think both iBooks look nice on the outside (both the 12 and the 14), but i think the 12 is the only all around good looking computer. the 14 inch ibook seems out of proportion when you open it up...they use the same speakers and keyboard so it takes up about the same amount of room as the 12 inch, but there seems to be too much extra room. please dont shoot me :D

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
I agree, why get the 14" IBook, it has nothing the 12" model doesn't though the top of the range version, the one with the superdrive is has a slightly faster processer. Not worth the price difference.

14" IBook - BTO + Airport Extreme = 1120.99 (GBP)
12" IBook - BTO + Airport Extreme + 60GB HD = 788.14 (GBP)

Thats an extra 348.85 (GBP) for 2 more inches (if that), a .2GHz speed increase and a Superdrive; which is the only knowticable feature inprovment if you ask me :).

I'd go with the 12" every time and max out the RAM (231.73 (GBP) on crucial :D). Leaving you with enough money to get yourself a nice bag for your notebook and a spare battery or anything else you might like :cool:.

Mark.

niter

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2003
From a student with an iBook G4 12"

I am also a college student and my iBook is the best laptop I have ever owned. When I was buying my laptop last November, I considered the Powerbook 12" vs. the iBook 12". In the end, I realized that it was best to just get the iBook, despite it being, at the time, the "slowest" computer Apple sold (800 MHz).

I have never regretted my purchase. The processor has never seemed slow to me and I found the computer out performed my old 2.4 GHz Gateway and was terrific at the tasks that I expect out of it: Mail, Safari, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, iLife....Futhermore, it also is perfect for additional programs that I use lightly: Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Photoshop elements, etc. The form factor is also superior, in my opinion to the powerbook. I know someone who has a 12" PB and it does not look like it has held up as well as my iBook. The most I have on mine is some scratches on the outside, but I am going to order some of that buffing cream radtech sells and then my iBook will be brand spanking new again. Two more things that I am in love with (and often amazing so many others that see my computer--Apple users and Window users alike) is the ability for it to pick up a wireless network so easily and so well AND its superior battery life. When I first got the laptop in November, I got a good 6 hours out of it. Now, I get about 4.75-5.25 hours depending on what I am doing.

Another great thing about the iBook is that it is light on the pocket (as well as in hand).

turbodub

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
the indecision of a pb or ibook...

Hey guys,

I'm in the same boat; picking between a 12" ibook or pbook. I had a 14" ibook, loved it, but it fell off the counter a few weeks ago (open) and the screen cracked. Anyways, I'd love to have a pbook (it's so damn cool, and a change from the ibook that I used to have), but I just don't know if the extra money is worth it.

Here's a twist though, through my school, I can get a new 12" pbook (1.33ghz/combo) with applecare for $1489. Simliarily configured (with applecare), an ibook would cost $1383. So do you think the extra $100 is worth it? Usually I'd say yes, but this thread has made me think that a ibook might be a better choice than the pbook, regardless of price.

Anyways guys, any insight would be great. I've been racking my brains over this one for a while.

By the way, exactly how much more battery life are we talking about with the ibook?

Thanks guys.

Cheers

Roger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.