PDA

View Full Version : Apple Recalls First-Generation iPod Nano in South Korea

MacRumors
Jul 9, 2009, 03:30 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/09/apple-recalls-first-generation-ipod-nano-in-south-korea/)

The Korea Herald reports (http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2009/07/10/200907100061.asp) that Apple has agreed to recall first-generation iPod nanos sold in South Korea following four reports of the device's batteries overheating or exploding. The recall comes several weeks after a request from the Korean government after which Apple initially offered (http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2009/06/25/200906250051.asp) to replace only those units found to be defective, but continuing pressure ultimately led to a full recall of the 155,000 units sold between October 2005 and December 2006.With a series of media reports following the report of The Korea Herald, Apple said it would replace the batteries and shells of its first-generation iPod Nano with new ones.

"Customers who are concerned about possible overheating of the battery can get it exchanged," Park In-kyu, an official with the Korea Agency for Technology & Standards, told The Korea Herald, citing a document sent by Apple Korea on July 7.The Korean recall follows similar complaints (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/19/overheating-ipod-nano-and-frayed-magsafe-replacements/) in Japan that ultimately resulted in Apple offering to replace overheating first-generation iPod nanos there last August.

Article Link: Apple Recalls First-Generation iPod Nano in South Korea (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/09/apple-recalls-first-generation-ipod-nano-in-south-korea/)

Undecided
Jul 9, 2009, 03:36 PM
Wait a second, I own one of those. Still use it. 4GB is plenty for a run.

MacMini2009
Jul 9, 2009, 03:36 PM
Whats up with Apple and some of its products overheating because of the battery? Maybe because they are made in China.
Edit: I'm just being sarcastic, stop taking this joke so seriously.

appleguy123
Jul 9, 2009, 03:37 PM

Are you in South Korea? I don't think it matters to you if not.

tjcampbell
Jul 9, 2009, 03:38 PM
I got a 1st gen, but I doubt it's from south of Kim Jong!

madmax_2069
Jul 9, 2009, 03:39 PM
OOOHHH My Boss at work owns one and uses it, does that mean that she could light up like a match one of these days, i sure hope not.

Whats up with these batteries today :rolleyes:

december
Jul 9, 2009, 03:40 PM
has anyone in N. America successfully had a 1st gen iPod repaired or replaced? I have a 2GB with a useless battery which i'd like replaced.

andrew0122
Jul 9, 2009, 03:40 PM
I like a company that will actually recall it's products. It takes a big man to admit that he's wrong. . . Now if only they'd have products that wouldn't have these problems to begin with. :rolleyes:

swingerofbirch
Jul 9, 2009, 03:43 PM
Looks like Sweden should do the same:

http://www.thelocal.se/20570/20090709/

BillyBobBongo
Jul 9, 2009, 03:48 PM
Whats up with Apple and some of its products overheating because of the battery? Maybe because they are made in China.

The location of where things are made, and who makes them, has nothing to do with it. Mass production will always result in the occasional bad batch of something or other.

LastZion
Jul 9, 2009, 03:50 PM
Very slim chance to have an Ipod Nano from '05 that has any resemblance of a battery life remaining

reallynotnick
Jul 9, 2009, 03:50 PM
For a second there I was thinking this was Apple's away of attacking North Korea but then I realized it was South Korea.

SkyBell
Jul 9, 2009, 03:53 PM
Very slim chance to have an Ipod Nano from '05 that has any resemblance of a battery life remaining

True, but if you had bought a replacement battery from Apple of the exact same type in the past few years...

crackermac
Jul 9, 2009, 03:54 PM
So are they saying that 4 of the 155,000 iPods had batteries that blew up? And this warrants a recall of the entire 155,000?

iAlexG
Jul 9, 2009, 03:56 PM
I used to have one of those. 2GB!!!! First ipod :D its my cousins problem now :p

trekkie604
Jul 9, 2009, 03:58 PM
are the components of the South Korean models different than those sold in North America? I wonder if mine will be recalled...

Hattig
Jul 9, 2009, 04:04 PM
My black 4 gigger was my first iPod, lasted two and a half years until it broke badly in a pub. Then my replacement 8GB got nicked, so no iPod for me now.

If I could send that first one back, with its broken screen and broken circuitry, and get a new one back, that would be awesome, heh.

SFStateStudent
Jul 9, 2009, 04:11 PM
USA recalls just around the corner?:eek::eek::eek:

macworkerbee
Jul 9, 2009, 04:13 PM

I'm still using my 2GB 1st Gen Nano and get about 8-9 hours on it still. I guess that doesn't count right?

theheadguy
Jul 9, 2009, 04:17 PM
What does that matter? Designed in California.

charlituna
Jul 9, 2009, 04:19 PM
has anyone in N. America successfully had a 1st gen iPod repaired or replaced?

you won't. the only reason that there was a mass recall is because the gov'ts stepped in and demanded it.

remember we are taking about devices that are out of warranty. and there is no evidence that it was very one of them.

don't see the US stepping into the fray. not until the number of incidents goes way, way up

Shasterball
Jul 9, 2009, 04:33 PM

Well, people will once they get it replaced!!!!!

sab150
Jul 9, 2009, 04:43 PM
hi will this apply to the uk? i bought mine pretty much as soon as they came out?

twoodcc
Jul 9, 2009, 04:50 PM
only 4 cases? that seems kinda extreme to me

iliketomac
Jul 9, 2009, 05:03 PM
That's a dinosaur! How does the 1st gen nano look like again? :D:D:p:p

*LTD*
Jul 9, 2009, 05:03 PM
only 4 cases? that seems kinda extreme to me

It is.

This is how FUD spreads. 4 cases now = exploding iPods.

Over a hundred thousand units sold and there are 4 cases. Sounds like a bad batch to me, or very likely misuse/mishandling of the units, which are already way out of warranty. Who knows.

Of course, you will never hear about four SanDisk players or four Sony players exploding/melting/raping/murdering because they're not Apple.

Either way Apple has no choice but to cave in here. Even 4 cases merits some damage control in the grand scheme of things, now that the issue is public.

Thank the government of South Korea for spreading FUD, however.

koh-kun
Jul 9, 2009, 05:07 PM
Do people read? It says it's happening in South Korea; so no, you won't get your iPod replaced if you didn't get it there.

brentsg
Jul 9, 2009, 05:18 PM
At least now we know what provoked the North Koreans.... all these iPods going off down South...

matticus008
Jul 9, 2009, 05:26 PM
The iPod was designed in California, not the battery. Who knows where the battery was engineered, whether the design is faulty or the manufacturing is faulty, or where the battery was made.

I'm not sure I get the made in China dig of the other poster, though, since no one is willing to pay for American-made batteries, and there's no guarantee some of those wouldn't explode, too.

The idea that Americans could do better at the same price is laughable.

DELLsFan
Jul 9, 2009, 05:31 PM
It is.

This is how FUD spreads. 4 cases now = exploding iPods.

Over a hundred thousand units sold and there are 4 cases. Sounds like a bad batch to me, or very likely misuse/mishandling of the units, which are already way out of warranty. Who knows.

Of course, you will never hear about four SanDisk players or four Sony players exploding/melting/raping/murdering because they're not Apple.

Either way Apple has no choice but to cave in here. Even 4 cases merits some damage control in the grand scheme of things, now that the issue is public.

Thank the government of South Korea for spreading FUD, however.

All it takes is one poisoned bottle of Tylenol to cost millions of dollars in legal fees, settlements, and lost advertising revenue. Don't think Apple didn't project some numbers here! In the long run, it's cheaper to recall the entire batch / lot.

The product may be different, but if it fails in such a way so as it will hurt someone, I think the right thing to do is ... everything you should - whether the matter was made public or not. Recall the suspect product batch / lot and repair/replace it before someone (else) gets hurt. It seems to me you save more than just money doing the right thing. :cool:

Mattie Num Nums
Jul 9, 2009, 05:35 PM

I'm hoping his is sarcasm. If not I truly pity your logic.

*LTD*
Jul 9, 2009, 05:40 PM
All it takes is one poisoned bottle of Tylenol to cost millions of dollars in legal fees, settlements, and lost advertising revenue. Don't think Apple didn't project some numbers here! In the long run, it's cheaper to recall the entire batch / lot.

The product may be different, but if it fails in such a way so as it will hurt someone, I think the right thing to do is ... everything you should - whether the matter was made public or not. Recall the suspect product batch / lot and repair/replace it before someone (else) gets hurt. It seems to me you save more than just money doing the right thing. :cool:

A reasonable, level-headed view. Can't argue with that . . .

wardev
Jul 9, 2009, 05:44 PM

more like do the 5th gen ipod "classics" have any battery life left? the answer is no, i can't see a whole movie without the battery dieing.:mad:

TraceyS/FL
Jul 9, 2009, 05:54 PM
I'm still using my 2GB 1st Gen Nano and get about 8-9 hours on it still. I guess that doesn't count right?
My STBXH isn't getting that much on his, but 99% of the time he's playing it plugged in anyway.

more like do the 5th gen ipod "classics" have any battery life left? the answer is no, i can't see a whole movie without the battery dieing.:mad:

My video can't make it thru a movie either, about an hour or so. I do have decent life left on music... sometimes.

ma2ha3
Jul 9, 2009, 05:54 PM
i never understand
what is gov role to save it's people from incidental ipod overheating?

akbc
Jul 9, 2009, 05:57 PM
So are they saying that 4 of the 155,000 iPods had batteries that blew up? And this warrants a recall of the entire 155,000?

lol, yeah.. Well, Koreans made a huge fuss about them blowing up. It was all over the media and I think it pressured apple to get a recall going.

I'm a Korean myself but we often make things too exaggerated.... =_=

AidenShaw
Jul 9, 2009, 06:01 PM
i never understand
what is gov role to save it's people from incidental ipod overheating?

To save their people from:

http://www.thelocal.se/articleImages/20570.jpg

Apple iPod suspected in bizarre Swedish car fire
Published: 9 Jul 09 16:08 CET

An iPod music player is at the centre of an investigation into a mysterious car fire which completely destroyed a Saab automobile in western Sweden over the Midsummer holiday weekend.

link posted without comment a few back

healthyfatboy
Jul 9, 2009, 06:14 PM
I'm sure the number of people that still have their 1G iPod Nano are pretty low so I doubt too many will be returned in the recall. I say that there probably aren't that many but my wife still uses hers so you never know.

FDX
Jul 9, 2009, 07:09 PM

An iPod music player is at the centre of an investigation into a mysterious car fire which completely destroyed a Saab automobile in western Sweden over the Midsummer holiday weekend.

Takes me back to my ford pinto....:D

evilspoons
Jul 9, 2009, 07:18 PM
are the components of the South Korean models different than those sold in North America?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Aren't they all made with the same components in the same factory in Malaysia or Taiwan or something? Why is it that they warrant a recall in another country because they explode but they somehow don't explode when they're shipped to Canada? I know it's only four units, but... it's kind of aggravating. Perhaps I should stop using my old 4 GB Nano.

SkyBell
Jul 9, 2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Aren't they all made with the same components in the same factory in Malaysia or Taiwan or something? Why is it that they warrant a recall in another country because they explode but they somehow don't explode when they're shipped to Canada? I know it's only four units, but... it's kind of aggravating. Perhaps I should stop using my old 4 GB Nano.

Its happened in other places to - it's just that the South Korean government demanded Apple make a recall.

mobi
Jul 9, 2009, 07:49 PM

+1 -Love it!

Master Chief
Jul 9, 2009, 08:12 PM

Is it just me or what? How do you get a cold engine on a hot sunny day? Where was this dog all this time? In the car (with apparently only a left passenger window open for like 4 inch aka 10 cm) on a hot sunny day?

Leaving your iPod (or whatever) in your car is one thing, but your dog? No, not a brilliant move if you ask me.

NightHawk3000
Jul 9, 2009, 08:34 PM

apparently their ipods come with c4 built in.

AidenShaw
Jul 9, 2009, 08:47 PM
Takes me back to my ford pinto....:D

Another case where mass hysteria and perception was at odds with the facts.

The truth was that most American small and mid-sized cars of that era had the fuel tanks under the boot ("trunk" to Americans).

In any severe rear-end collision, the chances were high that the fuel tank could leak or rupture - making a bad situation worse.

I remember that one of the Pinto lawsuits was about an accident where the Pinto pulled onto the highway in the path of a truck going 100 ("66" to Americans). Big fire, everyone in the car died.

The outcome would have been the same with most other cars of the era - a truck hitting the rear at high speed would rupture the fuel tank.

The Pinto's flaw, and what was fixed in the recall, was that there was a bolt in the suspension near the fuel tank. In a modest low speed collision, the tank could move on its mounts and hit the bolt, which could puncture the tank and could cause a minor problem to be a major problem.

The fix was to put a larger disk on the bolt - so if the tank hit the bolt it would merely dent the tank, but not puncture it.

But, in the public's eye, "Ford Pinto" means "exploding car" - regardless of the facts.

I just hope that I'm never on an airplane with an Ipod Nano on it somewhere....

Leaving your iPod (or whatever) in your car is one thing, but your dog? No, not a brilliant move if you ask me.

It's Sweden - that's the one weekend of the year without snow everywhere! ;) </joke> </kidding> </love you anuba, I'm blond and my mother's maiden name was Carlsen>

kdarling
Jul 9, 2009, 09:02 PM
I like a company that will actually recall it's products. It takes a big man to admit that he's wrong. . .

I think you missed the part about Apple bowing to government pressure, after offering to only replace the bad units. :)

Apple recently lost a class action in Canada over batteries as well.

Batteries seem to be a recurring theme with Apple, which makes sense considering how many portable devices they make.

AidenShaw
Jul 9, 2009, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by andrew0122
I like a company that will actually recall it's products. It takes a big man to admit that he's wrong. . .

I think you missed the part about Apple bowing to government pressure, after offering to only replace the bad units. :)

I smiled at that post too -- apparently Apple fans don't notice that it usually takes class action lawsuits and government threats to get Apple to admit that something that they've sold is defective.

*LTD*
Jul 10, 2009, 09:06 AM
I smiled at that post too -- apparently Apple fans don't notice that it usually takes class action lawsuits and government threats to get Apple to admit that something that they've sold is defective.

Depends how widespread the issue is.

A few units does not make the product-at-large defective. It makes just those units defective. It's a warranty/repair issue rather than a class-action/lawsuit issue. If a unit caused physical injury, that's a more serious matter, but it still does not suggest that the product-at-large is defective.

The South Korean government intervening over four cases is ludicrous. But the cat's out of the bag and it is now incumbent upon Apple to issue a recall lest they take a big PR hit.

*LTD*
Jul 10, 2009, 02:12 PM
One source claims it's untrue:

http://news.worldofapple.com/archives/2009/07/10/reports-of-south-korea-ipod-nano-recall-untrue/

rockneplane
Jul 10, 2009, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

I am from NJ, but have lived in Seoul for years. When analyzing this story it's worth considering the obstacles the iPhone has had entering the Korean market, namely the 'wipi' standard enforced by a Korean government effectively controlled trade-wise by Samsung and LG, Apple's competitors in the mp3 market and potentially in phones. Samsung accounts for roughly 20% of Korea's GDP, hence the country is often referred to as 'The Republic of Samsung'.

As the iPhone has been unable for various reasons to enter this market the two aforementioned behemoths have copied and pasted Apple's interface onto phones which are frankly technologically advanced but not as easy to use as the iPhone.

The best explanation I have read for the iPhone not entering Korea can be seen here: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2009/07/129_47277.html

Apple Korea today DENIED ANY RECALL, contrary to the reports of a frequently inept government here, and has scheduled a meeting with said government to discuss the issue. This all looks to me like a smear campaign set up by Samsung (the mp3 market leader here) to stave off Apple (in 2nd place) by appealing to some uniquely Korean nationalist sentiment as well as 'safety'. Four units??? Really?!?

Korea is a closed country when it comes to tech, no matter what they would have the world believe. Apple is a serious threat to local giants and will take it on the chin when trying to do business here. Hell, 98.99% of Koreans use ie7, still dependent on activeX and don't even know what Firefox is, let alone OS X!

kdarling
Jul 10, 2009, 08:12 PM

Ahem. Did you already forget about all the Sony battery recalls over the past few years? Hundreds of millions of dollars' worth?

All because a few laptops caught fire? Same kind of thing.

Better safe than sorry. Think about an unstoppable fire on an airliner...

appleguy123
Jul 11, 2009, 10:01 AM

I can still get about 18 hours of audio or 10 hours if video

wardev
Jul 12, 2009, 07:02 AM
I can still get about 18 hours of audio or 10 hours if video

really? you lucky duck

fokket
Jul 12, 2009, 07:49 AM
I'm in Korea right now and this is what I can say.

Apple has not yet made any public statement and all that's being said at this point is 'in discussion'

plasticparadox
Jul 13, 2009, 07:25 AM
Apple Korea today DENIED ANY RECALL, contrary to the reports of a frequently inept government here, and has scheduled a meeting with said government to discuss the issue. This all looks to me like a smear campaign set up by Samsung (the mp3 market leader here) to stave off Apple (in 2nd place) by appealing to some uniquely Korean nationalist sentiment as well as 'safety'. Four units??? Really?!?

Thank you. Having been to Seoul quite a few times, I totally concur with this. The reason that this 'recall' is being publicized is to keep Apple out of the market. It's quite apparent to me how the Korean government has conspired with motor companies like Daewoo and Kia to keep foreign competition out of Korea and unfairly prop up the domestic brand. Now it looks like they are doing the same thing to Apple.

I do love Korea, by the way. Fascinating country that I will visit again but the government needs to embrace foreign imports. Give and take.

Anuba
Jul 13, 2009, 07:49 AM
The 1st gen Nano was crap in more ways than this... it was also the most scratch-prone portable device in history. The clear plastic on the front must have been made from sugar, gelatin or some other soft and brittle material that scratches when you look at it funny or cough in the same room. Mine looked 20 years old after 2 days in my pocket (where there was nothing other than fabric and the Nano itself). Guess I might as well dispose of it before it sets the house on fire, too.

AidenShaw
Jul 21, 2009, 09:43 AM
More to this story is turning up:

http://www.kirotv.com/money/20089894/detail.html

Apple Downplays Fiery iPod Incidents
Amy Clancy
KIRO 7 Eyewitness News

An exclusive KIRO 7 Investigation reveals an alarming number of Apple brand iPod MP3 players have suddenly burst into flames and smoke, injuring people and damaging property.

It’s an investigation that Apple has apparently been trying to keep out of the public eye.

It took more than 7-months for KIRO 7 Consumer Investigator Amy Clancy to get her hands on documents concerning Apple’s iPods from the Consumer Product Safety Commission because Apple’s lawyers filed exemption after exemption. In the end, the CPSC released more than 800 pages which reveal, for the very first time, a comprehensive look that shows, on a number of occasions, iPods have suddenly burst into flames, started to smoke, and even burned their owners.

Owners like Jamie Balderas of Arlington, Washington, who contacted KIRO 7 in November of 2008.

“At first I thought, how in the heck did I get burned? Right there?” she told Clancy, while pointing to a penny-sized, round burn on her chest. “Then I remembered that I had my iPod right there.”

charlituna
Jul 21, 2009, 11:22 PM
More to this story is turning up:

http://www.kirotv.com/money/20089894/detail.html

what was it they said 15 incidents out of a few million devices sold. hardly time to start the witch burnings