Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SD40T-2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Ok I've finally done it....

I've purchased a G5 2Ghz Dual with OS X. It should be ariving sometime next week. My fairly trusty PC while good for web and simple stuff, It just couldn't do video editing with out crashing. I've had some time at college where I'm a student on G5's and I couldn't get enough of them.

I've been researching some of the differences of Mac's versus PC's and while I've used them I'm still a little sketchy on a few things. Anyone that would be willing to humor my simple (bordering on dumb) questions would have my upmost appreciation.

#1 I'm going to be hooking my present PC monitor using a DVI to VGA adapter. Is there anything else that I should be watching out for or expecting in the way of problems that I can midigate?

#2 What should/do I need to do in order to transfer some core inofrmation files ie. calandar files, MP3/media files and other files that would be esential?

#3 Is there anything special about getting my Mac on to my home network to transfer files from my other PC?

If there is anything else that you think might make it easier in my converting over and easing over to the Mac enviroment, please let me know.

Thanks,
SD40T-2

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
SD40T-2 said:
Ok I've finally done it....

-SD40T-2

Welcome aboard. I'll just attack your questions straight off...

SD40T-2 said:
#1 I'm going to be hooking my present PC monitor using a DVI to VGA adapter. Is there anything else that I should be watching out for or expecting in the way of problems that I can midigate?

You should be just fine with that, no issues at all. Enjoy the digital signal.

SD40T-2 said:
#2 What should/do I need to do in order to transfer some core inofrmation files ie. calandar files, MP3/media files and other files that would be esential?

SD40T-2 said:
#3 Is there anything special about getting my Mac on to my home network to transfer files from my other PC?

I'll answer these both at the same time. In any of the user accounts on the G5, be sure to allow Personal, and Windows File Sharing in the 'Sharing' System Preference, and annotate the IP address. Or, Create a share in the Windows box, again activating Windows File Sharing in the G5, and get to the PC via it's IP address.

If you do not have a router to dole out IP addresses, have the G5 do it. Attach the PC directly to the G5 with an ethernet cable - the G5's network card will switch to 'Crossover' automagically. In the G5, in the System Preference 'Sharing', move to the 'Sharing' pane, and activate "Share Internet Connections to those computers connected via Ethernet", and your G5 will now be a DHCP server.

Connect to the PC via the IP address via Cmd-K (that's command)

Suck those files over, drag-drop the mp3's into the iTunes interface (app open, right on the empty lists)

Export the PC Calendar functions as a vCal formatted file (Palm Desktop can export as vCal), and Import the vCal into iCal.

.gif's and .jpg's drag-drop to iPhoto interface similar to what you did with iTunes.

SD40T-2 said:
If there is anything else that you think might make it easier in my converting over and easing over to the Mac enviroment, please let me know.

You could also go to CompUSA or even an Apple Retail Store and get a PC to Mac utility.

Hope this helps!

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
SD40T-2:

welcome to the wonderful world of being a mac user :)

I bet you will notice in no time how the mac works with you rather than against you. its a great thing.

all the advice I will add is don't install too many os level haxies and repair permissions like you think if you keep doing it you will win a contest. :D
(in case you don't know how just open disk utility found in applications/utilities. select the first aid tab then choose the volume in the left list then click the "repair disk permissions" button.

enjoy your mac

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
Is repairing permissions regularly really nessesary?

In almost two years since I purchased my first Mac, I have repaired permissions only once, and I can't remember why or if it solved the problem. I did have to have the volume structure repaired by Drive 10, but that was it. My machine has been running like no other machine I've ever used, especially now that I added a Seagate HD.

Why do people repair persmissions so often?

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
MacAficionado said:
In almost two years since I purchased my first Mac, I have repaired permissions only once, and I can't remember why or if it solved the problem. I did have to have the volume structure repaired by Drive 10, but that was it. My machine has been running like no other machine I've ever used, especially now that I added a Seagate HD.

Why do people repair persmissions so often?

People (yes, even Mac users) like to believe that their computer can't run well without their help. So they want to do some kind of maintenance. Repairing permissions is the only thing to do on a Mac (without extra software for "optimization of your hard disk").

That being said, if permissions are off, it can cause weird misbehaviors; since it's so easy to do, some people just like to play it safe. I frequently do permission repairs after OS updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.