PDA

View Full Version : What have you found to be the most effective cooling method for your PB

Reuven
Jun 5, 2004, 05:45 AM
My PB is elevated but want it to keep really cool!

What have you found to the best method ? Any of them home made receipes ??

vollspacken
Jun 5, 2004, 07:03 AM
only use it when you've put it in the open freezer... ;)

no, seriously, keeping it elevated should be enough.... If you keep it set on a flat surface you shouldn't have problems.

vSpacken

WinterMute
Jun 5, 2004, 07:11 AM
Don't switch it on... ;)

As long as you can get some air to the base plate it's fine, on my desk I put a couple of rubber speaker isolators under the back corners, raises it up about an inch, on my lap I find adopting a sprawling legs-wide-open position works just fine.... :D

winwintoo
Jun 5, 2004, 07:42 AM
My PB runs hotter than my old iBook and I got 2nd degree burns from the iBook when I used it propped on my stomach while laying back in my recliner. Whatever you do if you use it on your lap, protect your parts :o :o

I now have a board (shelf from a bookcase?) that fits across the arms of the chair and the PB sits on that - an advantage is there's room for my Wacom tablet if I'm working in Photoshop.

m

NusuniAdmin
Jun 5, 2004, 07:56 AM
Whenever I use a laptop and im sitting regularly i usually (hard to explain, ill try my best) stick the back part kinda on my legs and stick the keyboard part on my gut. From the description is seems the keyboard might not be accessable but it is. I have found this the best way to keep my mom's emachines from burning me (even though it does not even get hot). I could not really explain it well, i could always draw a stick fiugre thing in photoshop :D

[EDIT: oh yes this works for pb's as well, i tried it on my friends 15" al one]

titaniumducky
Jun 5, 2004, 05:04 PM
The iCurve. You can pick one up for about $25 if you look around (Amazon has them cheap, I think).

LeeTom
Jun 5, 2004, 05:24 PM
Am I the only one that has no real problem with heat & my powerbook? I've got an aluminum 1.25, and it gets warm, but not hot.

aswitcher
Jun 5, 2004, 05:34 PM
My PB is elevated but want it to keep really cool!

What have you found to the best method ? Any of them home made receipes ??

Well having a DOA means I have not had to worry about a heat problem for weeks :mad: ;)

There are a few "pads" with twin built in fans that run off the USB port. Both look pretty good at lowering the heat.

Reuven
Jun 5, 2004, 06:04 PM
Well having a DOA means I have not had to worry about a heat problem for weeks :mad: ;)

There are a few "pads" with twin built in fans that run off the USB port. Both look pretty good at lowering the heat.

aswitcher I feel for you!

Im more then sure the last few weeks has been very frustrating for you, Do you intend to take your problem further to Apple USA ?

I think that you should be copensated in some way towards your PB.

Good luck hope you get your machine up and running soon with not a glitch.

Regards,

Reuven

cb911
Jun 5, 2004, 06:18 PM
my PB only really get too hot for me if it's summer time, or a warm day. i just try to sit it on my knees on the edge of the PB, so there's as much empty space under it as possible. sometimes i also turn a fan on and face it toward myself and my PB if it's really that hot, and a hot day.

7on
Jun 5, 2004, 06:19 PM
My PB runs hotter than my old iBook and I got 2nd degree burns from the iBook when I used it propped on my stomach while laying back in my recliner. Whatever you do if you use it on your lap, protect your parts :o :o

I now have a board (shelf from a bookcase?) that fits across the arms of the chair and the PB sits on that - an advantage is there's room for my Wacom tablet if I'm working in Photoshop.

m

lol, are you sure they're second degree? 2ndē burns burn through the outer layer of skin exposing muscle and tissue. In fact, it's even more painful than 3rdē burns which burn through the nerves leaving it numb. 1stē burns are equivalent to sunburn. I doubt you've received any of these burns, maybe experienced mild discomfort or redness, but you definitely have not lost layers of skin due to the PB (though if you have suing to compensate for the hospital visit may be in order).
http://www.cc.utah.edu/~sa11170/EMT/DOTRefresh/Burns/burnbot.html
[/wise-ass]

winwintoo
Jun 5, 2004, 06:25 PM
lol, are you sure they're second degree? 2ndē burns burn through the outer layer of skin exposing muscle and tissue. In fact, it's even more painful than 3rdē burns which burn through the nerves leaving it numb. 1stē burns are equivalent to sunburn. I doubt you've received any of these burns, maybe experienced mild discomfort or redness, but you definitely have not lost layers of skin due to the PB (though if you have suing to compensate for the hospital visit may be in order).
http://www.cc.utah.edu/~sa11170/EMT/DOTRefresh/Burns/burnbot.html
[/wise-ass]

How do you know I didn't need skin grafts and all the rest of it - didn't you see it on the news :D :D :D :D

The discomfort was far from mild and it took several months for the pain and discoloration to go down, I thought about suing, but then I figured the fewer people who see my naked............

.............no don't make me go there m :o :o :o :eek:

aswitcher
Jun 5, 2004, 06:37 PM
lol, are you sure they're second degree? 2ndē burns burn through the outer layer of skin exposing muscle and tissue. In fact, it's even more painful than 3rdē burns which burn through the nerves leaving it numb. 1stē burns are equivalent to sunburn.
[/wise-ass]

2nd degree burns...I guess that's what iSkin is for.

vollspacken
Jun 6, 2004, 02:42 PM
Am I the only one that has no real problem with heat & my powerbook? I've got an aluminum 1.25, and it gets warm, but not hot.

I have absolutly no problems with my 1Ghz tiBook. I does get warm, but not very hot, even when I watch a DVD or rip CDs...

I like keeping it on my lap, keeps me warm :)

vSpacken

Calvinatir
Jun 6, 2004, 03:24 PM
my 17" dissipates the heat very well, probably because the surface area is a little larger for heat dissipation...ACtually...the middle back of the PB gets warm/hot but the sides are ice cold, so when i put it on my lap i actually get the cold sensation! lol

jimsowden
Jun 6, 2004, 03:27 PM
iUse the iBreeze (http://macmice.com/ibreeze.html) for my iBook which sometimes gets really iHot.

JOD8FY
Jun 6, 2004, 03:28 PM
I find that dry ice usually does the trick ;).

Other than that, I'd suggest either iCurve, or MacMice's (www.macmice.com) iBreeze. Both seem to be pretty good.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

jknight8907
Jun 14, 2004, 09:54 PM
As long as its on a hard flat surface you should be cool.