Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Navigon MobileNavigator for North America - LITE version- is now available in the App Store for free.

I haven't tried it but it sounds like you get all the maps and nice feautures -- just no active GPS guidance.

Hopefully this is a sign that the full version of Navigon will be available soon.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I'm downloading this right now as I type this. I won't load it to my iPhone, for now, until I truly understand what it provides and what it does not.

The European version has received some terrible reviews.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Its rated 4 stars on the Europe side. Every app on the store gets some reviews from people that dont like it.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I really wish they would release the full version first, not the lite... it doesnt do anything maps doesnt do.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I guess they're feeling the pressure from all of the other GPS application makers and are giving iPhone users a way to play with the interface for free.

I'm downloading the Lite version now to play around with it. It's a pretty hefty download at 1.29GB. I still have another 15 minutes to go.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Its rated 4 stars on the Europe side. Every app on the store gets some reviews from people that dont like it.
I wasn't disparaging the app, but at $139.00 I'd like to read a few less one star reviews.

What functionality does the lite version offer and is it really just a teaser for the paid version.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
After playing with it I see it's missing some of the software features of the hardware GPS units. One that's a nice feature for a navigational GPS is the help feature which shows you the address of where you are and the closest hospitals, police, pharmacies, service, etc.

I tried a few addresses and in the simulation mode I found it amusing that it drove faster than the speed limits for the roads it used. It's consistent about it too. If I leave and go back into the route fresh the simulator always drives faster than posted speed limits and you get the warning repeatedly. It also failed to follow its own designated route several times requiring recalculations.

The display doesn't allow for gesture zoom and pan. Touching the display while on a route changes it from 3D to 2D view. It appears that you can only change the view zoom in 2D. The 3D view is a bit cluttered and I'd prefer to be able to zoom in a bit farther to reduce the amount of POI icons on the screen.

It does use the iPhone contacts list from the phone. I thought it had been previously reported that it didn't.

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
The display doesn't allow for gesture zoom and pan. Touching the display while on a route changes it from 3D to 2D view. It appears that you can only change the view zoom in 2D. The 3D view is a bit cluttered and I'd prefer to be able to zoom in a bit farther to reduce the amount of POI icons on the screen.

It does use the iPhone contacts list from the phone. I thought it had been previously reported that it didn't.

The contacts wouldn't work for UK postcodes, it didn't like our formats, also the zoom is automatic.

sleeks

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
THis update WAS released last weekend.

Nope. The update basically enabled voice with the old 1.2 version. (got rid of the game, etc).

The linked video is not currently what is available. Watch it again.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I did find a repeatable bug in the Lite version and I'm wondering if it will exist in the real version. The simulator set a route and then began following it. It was seemingly doing fine and then decided it was off course and recalculated. The recalculation gave a really convoluted route. I tried this on several address locations and it did it several times. I don't know if this is a quirk in the simulator engine or if there's some kind of flaw in its routing which makes it think its off course.

vertigo235

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
I did find a repeatable bug in the Lite version and I'm wondering if it will exist in the real version. The simulator set a route and then began following it. It was seemingly doing fine and then decided it was off course and recalculated. The recalculation gave a really convoluted route. I tried this on several address locations and it did it several times. I don't know if this is a quirk in the simulator engine or if there's some kind of flaw in its routing which makes it think its off course.

That is kind of weird, I can only assume they are attempting to show that it will re-route if you go off course.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm downloading this to see how I like the interface. It would be nice if other GPS apps come out with lite versions (no matter how useless) just so we can play with the interface. Considering that these apps are a pricey investment I'd like to know what I'm getting in to ahead of time.

vertigo235

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
Just played with it and I really like it. I think I will probably pull the trigger on this if TomTom doesn't give us at least some more info soon.

Navigon also says on it's website that TTS is comming. This is something tomtom said would nit be included on it's app.

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
I bought G-Map early on, possibly on sale, but the functionality looks better than I had expected. Didn't know it had voice commands (and a nice voice too!).

I have to take a trip tomorrow and will forgo my TomTom GPS to see how this compares. I've had it, just never used it. Thanks to those who've posted the YouTube links. It does more and is much better than I knew. Glad I bought it!

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Just played with it and I really like it. I think I will probably pull the trigger on this if TomTom doesn't give us at least some more info soon.

Navigon also says on it's website that TTS is comming. This is something tomtom said would nit be included on it's app.

Yeah, also tomtom doesn't have the lane guidance navigon has. I personally prefer navigon as the interface is cleaner compared to sygics one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.