Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WJ2593

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
I have decided not to wait and get Sygic Mobile Maps mainly because it looks as if TomToms solution will turn out very expensive, either because it'll be a subscription service or very expensive and because the accessory to make to go with the app will cost a fair wack.

Anyway who else has not waited or is waiting and why?

For me the sygic works beautifully and will suffice. Anyway Tomtom missed the boat and took too long to get theirs out.

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
I'm waiting, but I want to find out if it works with iPhones that have a case on them and how well it works before I jump.

WJ2593

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
I'll end up getting both just to compare. I don't think a case makes a big difference as mobile maps works fine on my 3g that has a case on it.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I'll be waiting for TomTom. Have you looked at the comments here regarding their Sygic experience, searching and routing? There's a great review thread where someone demonstrated a massive failure in rerouting even making miles of turning at 100 feet from the intended road.

I have decided not to wait and get Sygic Mobile Maps mainly because it looks as if TomToms solution will turn out very expensive, either because it'll be a subscription service...

Apparently you didn't read the MacWorld article. I don't know where you got that it would be a subscription service. I've never seen that mentioned at all.

MacWorld article said:
Murray did tell us that the company is leaning towards a set price for the application and maps, rather than taking the subscription approach of AT&T.

and because the accessory to make to go with the app will cost a fair wack.

It's not like you have to buy it any more than you'd have to buy anything to go with the Sygic software. So, that's not really any kind of an argument. It is optional.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I just hope it isn't subscription! I don't want to pay a monthly fee, just let me pay one big payment.

swanseastu

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Swansea, Wales UK
I was waiting for Tomtom, but went down the Navigon route with no regrets...personally I think its got some better features at the moment - given what we know about tomtom

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
I was waiting for Tomtom, but went down the Navigon route with no regrets...personally I think its got some better features at the moment - given what we know about tomtom
I can second that, we just got back from a 2400 mile road trip using Navigon as our main navigation aid.

M.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Who ISN'T waiting for it? :D

I plan to use TomTom mainly as the back-up to AT&T Navigator/Telenav (in the unlikely event I can't get a data signal). Further down the bench, G-Map will drop to 3rd string and Sygic goes to 4th string. Personally, I found Sygic to be mediocre at best--I certainly think TomTom will perform much better than Sygic (at least I hope so!). Gokivo will remain inactive until I see the second roll-out, which NIM promises will fix bugs, boast lots of improvements, and other goodies.

One other thought on TomTom: I'm starting to think it
will be even more expensive than I thought. Navigon Europe is $130+ IIRC...I wonder how brand-leader TomTom will price themselves...?

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007

I don't fault you at all for this. We have neither TomTom nor Navigon in the US but I have a Navigon hardware GPS and it has an exceptional interface and good routing.

Edited to add: Someone just posted that Navigon North America Lite is now available. Apparently Navigon is feeling some pressure over the GPS software releases. The "Lite" version is Maps without turn-by-turn routing. Odd. Well, it is free so we can download to see the interface. I guess that's their approach on this.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
If its anything like the GPS on blackberry, it will be 99.99 accessory probably... 29.99?

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
If its anything like the GPS on blackberry, it will be 99.99 accessory probably... 29.99?

That doesn't have a built-in Bluetooth speakerphone, does it? It also has an integrated GPS chipset which their other mounts don't have. That will certainly increase cost.

WJ2593

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
I'll be waiting for TomTom. Have you looked at the comments here regarding their Sygic experience, searching and routing? There's a great review thread where someone demonstrated a massive failure in rerouting even making miles of turning at 100 feet from the intended road.

Apparently you didn't read the MacWorld article. I don't know where you got that it would be a subscription service. I've never seen that mentioned at all.

It's not like you have to buy it any more than you'd have to buy anything to go with the Sygic software. So, that's not really any kind of an argument. It is optional.

In case you missed it there is a key word there 'leaning' so it is yet to be decided and in a blog I read I saw that it is looking more likely a subscription service if you want your maps updated.

True the accessory is optional but it will be recommended which means the app will have better functionality and is probably designed around use with the accessory.

I have in fact read that review but in my case it works very nicely and so I am happy with it. When Tomtom finally releases their maps if it isn't a subscription service I will buy it and see how it fairs up, but they have missed out on customers by their slow release and the fact so much is kept quiet. If they told people for definite it was fixed price and the accessory and app was x amount and when it was released maybe I would have waited and bought it. Fact is they say later in the summer but so have many before them have said 'fall' 'winter' etc and then there is nothing. A date would be a start.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
In case you missed it there is a key word there 'leaning' so it is yet to be decided and in a blog I read I saw that it is looking more likely a subscription service if you want your maps updated.

That's not what you said originally. You were talking about the Navigation software when you said subscription service. You never mentioned maps. Yes, I'm sure the Maps and Traffic will be subscription because that's consistent with every other product they have produced. We have no idea how any of the other software applications will handle map updates. The companies will have to charge at some point (most likely through in-app purchase) as those maps are free to them. Eventually they're going to hit a point where their sales flatten and they'll start to lose money giving out free updates for something they have to pay for.

True the accessory is optional but it will be recommended which means the app will have better functionality and is probably designed around use with the accessory.

Of course it will, the MacWorld article already laid that out. It will have simultaneous Bluetooth speakerphone along with Navigation and music via the cable connection. That's where the others are failing right now. They have to break with navigation to allow a call to commence but the article also said that the software can be utilized without it (granted, losing features like those). They've already developed workarounds to the walls other companies are presently hitting.

I'm downloading the Navigon North America Lite right now. Big sucker at 1.3GB. So, I think we can assume that TomTom will be just as large.

WJ2593

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
That's not what you said originally. You were talking about the Navigation software when you said subscription service. You never mentioned maps. Yes, I'm sure the Maps and Traffic will be subscription because that's consistent with every other product they have produced. We have no idea how any of the other software applications will handle map updates. The companies will have to charge at some point (most likely through in-app purchase) as those maps are free to them. Eventually they're going to hit a point where their sales flatten and they'll start to lose money giving out free updates for something they have to pay for.

Of course it will, the MacWorld article already laid that out. It will have simultaneous Bluetooth speakerphone along with Navigation and music via the cable connection. That's where the others are failing right now. They have to break with navigation to allow a call to commence but the article also said that the software can be utilized without it (granted, losing features like those). They've already developed workarounds to the walls other companies are presently hitting.

I'm downloading the Navigon North America Lite right now. Big sucker at 1.3GB. So, I think we can assume that TomTom will be just as large.

Oh sorry if I don't make myself clear, but with the accesory I am assuming that tomtom will make it so that the accessory is kinda of required
to use the app and I completely understand why they are doing it. The only problem is this time delay which I suspect is down to the accessory and production. Anyways I am still worried with the price, $80AU is generous for 2 full country maps. I reckon tomtom will be $100+ for the same excluding accessory, who knows might mean those cheaper GPS units look good.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Oh sorry if I don't make myself clear, but with the accesory I am assuming that tomtom will make it so that the accessory is kinda of required to use the app

The WWDC video stated the mount was completely optional. From the workarounds they created using the Bluetooth speakerphone it would appear that the non-mounted software approach would be to have the same problems as everyone else and break navigation instructions to take a call.

WJ2593

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
The WWDC video stated the mount was completely optional. From the workarounds they created using the Bluetooth speakerphone it would appear that the non-mounted software approach would be to have the same problems as everyone else and break navigation instructions to take a call.

Thanks for clearing that one up but I was more referring to the GPS chip in the accessory. Is it true there is one? I read somewhere there is one but is it true?

iphone529

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
I really hope the TOM TOM app is much better than the sygic app, the GUI is terrible on sygic and the Navigon one that showed up doesn't even have map guidance.

Only factor will be the price point.

SlavKO

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
I too am waiting for Tom Tom, but does anyone have any opinions about G-Map? I am thinking of maybe getting that first to see if it meets my needs.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I already reserved one app slot in my home screen for TomTom so count me in the waiting list!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.