PDA

View Full Version : Cydia Crashes and won't Open

EatMyApple
Jul 10, 2009, 12:04 PM
Last night I jailbroke, and a few bumps in the road but its coming along. Pretty much have a small clue as to what I am doing but I'm learning.

Cydia was working fine and I used it to get LockInfo. But now, I can not get Cydia to open. I click on it, it brings up the window and then closes itself. I have done a turn off/turn on and a hard restart - and it will still not open.

Can I use the Freeze program to re-install Cydia, or will that cause a problem?

Thought I would double check here before I really screwed something up. Thank you!

EatMyApple
Jul 10, 2009, 03:39 PM
OK well I went ahead and reinstalled Cydia from the Freeze program. It still opens up, black screen, then closes itself out.

Any ideas how I can get Cydia to open and function?

TSX
Jul 10, 2009, 04:50 PM
Try a hard reset.

EatMyApple
Jul 10, 2009, 04:53 PM
Try a hard reset.

Replied to this post in other thread - but have tried that. No luck!

dhlizard
Jul 10, 2009, 07:50 PM
When you JB, did you install Icy & Cydia both ?

If so, many are reporting the same problems as you.

Re-JB and only add Cydia, not Icy.

Might fix it.

EatMyApple
Jul 11, 2009, 12:25 AM
When you JB, did you install Icy & Cydia both ?

If so, many are reporting the same problems as you.

Re-JB and only add Cydia, not Icy.

Might fix it.

I did not install or download Icy. Not even sure what it is really other than what I have read that its similar or better than Cydia.

I only installed Cydia from Freeze, updated the Cydia, downloaded Winterboard, and only got to add LockInfo. After one of the restarts I was never able to get Cydia to open fully.

I guess I will try a Restore and Re-JB tomorrow.

Aries326
Jul 11, 2009, 05:04 AM
I had the same problem as you. I have a 3G. I had to restore my phone, re-jailbreak but this time, in Cydia, I did not install the essential upgrade. I noticed last time Cydia would freeze/reset after I installed the essential upgrade. I have no clue what the essential upgrade does so I just left it out this time and everything seems to be working fine.

EatMyApple
Jul 11, 2009, 10:17 AM
I had the same problem as you. I have a 3G. I had to restore my phone, re-jailbreak but this time, in Cydia, I did not install the essential upgrade. I noticed last time Cydia would freeze/reset after I installed the essential upgrade. I have no clue what the essential upgrade does so I just left it out this time and everything seems to be working fine.

Ahhhhh I think I will try that - Thanks for the post! My Cydia froze up also pretty soon after the update. I am about to restore also so I'm glad you posted and I read this before. Thanks again!

foob
Jul 11, 2009, 11:31 AM
My Cydia was crashing every time it opened. I traced it to corrupt files in /var/lib/dpkg/updates. Deleting them fixed Cydia. I can't guarantee that will fix Cydia crashes but it has worked for several people who have asked the same question here recently.

Here are a few methods to delete them.

SSH into the phone and type "rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/*" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Open MobileTerminal on the phone and type "rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/*" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Use the apps iFile or Discover from Cydia to browse to /var/lib/dpkg/updates/ and swipe the files then select delete, or in iFile select edit, check all the files, then tap the trash can at the bottom.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jul 13, 2009, 01:17 AM
My Cydia was crashing every time it opened. I traced it to corrupt files in /var/lib/dpkg/updates. Deleting them fixed Cydia. I can't guarantee that will fix Cydia crashes but it has worked for several people who have asked the same question here recently.

SSH into the phone and type "rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/*" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Open MobileTerminal on the phone and type "rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/*" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Use the apps iFile or Discover from Cydia to browse to /var/lib/dpkg/updates/ and swipe the files then select delete, or in iFile select edit, check all the files, then tap the trash can at the bottom.

delet the whole "updates" folder??

EatMyApple
Jul 13, 2009, 07:13 AM

How do you open MobileTerminal? I'm guessing that should have been downloaded from Cydia before it crashed? Thanks!

Aries326
Jul 13, 2009, 10:08 AM
So, after reading another thread similar to this, it seems the real problem lies with installing a package and an error pops up and the installation is not completed. To test this out, I did upgrade the files in Cydia and this time, everything installed perfectly and Cydia still runs perfectly.

As the other thread pointed out, you'll have to download a program or use the terminal in the iphone and search out the folder where files are installed. There, you'll find some files numbered in sequence. Delete those and problems are solved.

Here's the info from the thread I am referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foob
apt-get is no longer installed by default. You have to install something, but I forget what it's called. Maybe "aptitude"?

I started having the same problem with Cydia today when it crashed during a 3 package upgrade. Cydia would open for a couple of seconds and crash.

I figured it was related to the failed upgrades so I tried to use mobile terminal and dpkg to uninstall the things I had been trying to upgrade. That gave me an error which pointed to corrupt files in /var/lib/dpkg/updates/. I deleted all the numbered files (0000, 0001, 0002 etc) and now everything works again.

Here's the thread for more info:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=731114

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jul 13, 2009, 10:21 AM

this method worked

sslanchi
Aug 3, 2009, 01:33 PM
Following these instructions worked for me also..thank you!!!

Its worth noting that the program iPhoneBrowser is much easier to use than SSH'ing

nada1985
Sep 25, 2009, 10:56 AM
i've jailbroken my iphone 3.0.1 using redsnow to install cydia. After using it for a day cydia would open and the close. I tried to re-install cydia but it still wouldnt open, so i tried to restore the phone to its original setting but itunes came up with error message 2 cannot restore iphone. Now im stuck with an annoyingly slow phone. I've read alot about people deleting corrupt files by ssh in to their iphones. I never installed ssh through cydia, so i cant figure out how to do this. any ideas????I also downloaded icy and tried to install openssh that way but it wouldnt download fully! I really have a basic knowledge of how this all works, so if somebody could give me some simple steps to fix this i would greatly appreciate it!!

Narco220
Sep 25, 2009, 12:19 PM
I am having the same problem with cydia but when i ssh into the rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/ folder its empty so theres nothing to delete to fix the problem??

Hackcomic.com
Oct 3, 2009, 12:28 AM

Do you mean all the files only in the updates folder? I get all the way to there and there are none.

But there are files in dpkg

rocpatel
Nov 17, 2009, 06:58 PM
Try starting Cydia in Safe Mode. Use SBsettings to start in Safe Mode. The problem was with a mobile substrate app. Uninstalling Cyntacts and Rotate Inhibitor did the trick.

Hope this helps.

ChrisR24
Nov 17, 2009, 10:47 PM
saMe problem with me. I've had the 3.0 jailbreak since it came out, with no
problems. I never had icy. Now, I tried to open cydia for the first time this month, won't work. /dpkg/updates is empty. Earlier today I was playin around with ifile, tryin to get mxtube vids into the phtos folder (I don't know why) but maybe this has something to do with it. Let me know if you find anything.

ChrisR24

Vegastouch
Dec 2, 2009, 10:46 PM

Awesome! I just got a lockscreen from cydia and after that it wouldnt open anymore. I have iFile and saw this and deleted my updates and Cydia works again. :D

snatch24
Jan 14, 2010, 07:46 AM

Presto, still works a year after the original post. Thanks.

mgmusicman94
Jan 19, 2010, 11:55 AM

Worked for me using iFile. Thank you sooooo much.

Flysaiah
Feb 18, 2010, 11:08 AM
Ok so I am new to jailbreaking...but i managed to do it myself i have an iphone 3G jailbroken and unlocked on 3.1.2. and my Cydia keeps crashing as well.

I would like to try one of the methods posted here but i have no idea what SSH even means....someone help the noob please!

Vegastouch
Feb 18, 2010, 11:14 AM
Ok so I am new to jailbreaking...but i managed to do it myself i have an iphone 3G jailbroken and unlocked on 3.1.2. and my Cydia keeps crashing as well.

I would like to try one of the methods posted here but i have no idea what SSH even means....someone help the noob please!

If you read all of this then I think it is obvious that the iFile method is much easier and you don't need to know what SSH means.

Flysaiah
Feb 18, 2010, 11:35 AM
ok so i dont know what the hell ifile is either...as stated earlier i am a noob to this..do i download ifile from cydia? because if thats the case i never did and cydia keeps crashing..can i get it from somewhere else?

Vegastouch
Feb 18, 2010, 12:20 PM
Hmm, well then i dont know. I dont do SSH and i think you have to get iFile from a source but then you would need cydia to type it in that source.

Flysaiah
Feb 18, 2010, 12:29 PM
if i re-jailbreak using pwnage tool like i did originally will i have cydia back then?

Vegastouch
Feb 18, 2010, 01:32 PM
if i re-jailbreak using pwnage tool like i did originally will i have cydia back then?

I think you will have to do a restore and then jailbreak again.

thelatinist
Feb 18, 2010, 02:18 PM

Yes, but will also lose anything you've installed since then.

young1nj
Feb 21, 2010, 10:30 PM
Hmm, well then i dont know. I dont do SSH and i think you have to get iFile from a source but then you would need cydia to type it in that source.

SSH is basically "exploring" your iphone to delete the files listed in the above posts in the update folder.

You can do this with a windows program called iphone explorer.

sprinb47
Mar 25, 2010, 03:47 PM
delet the whole "updates" folder??

No, just delete the contents in the updates folder. I had the same issue as the original poster and this solved my problem. Thanks!

foe852
Mar 28, 2010, 02:41 AM
ok, first of all, I'm a newb at this, however, I'll tell you how i fixed it . Anyhow, my symptoms were, cydia wouldnt open up at all. every time i tried to open it up, it would go back to main screen. I didint have openssh installed, so i thought i was screwed.
Anyhow, before I decided to re-jailbreak it, i decided to install ROCK, yes, i know, i've been told not to install no other than cydia. But I'm a newb. Anyhow, I figured, what the hell, worse case, I'll have to re-JB.
Ok, back to Rock. I installed Rock , afterwards, rock notified me that Cydia needed upgrades( never would I have guessed, since I cant even open it), so therefore, I thought, what the hell, I might as well do it, I'm a newb after all.
After I upgraded Cydia(from ROCK), and 10 min. of upgrade time, my iphone rebooted and presto! Cydia is back to normal! Working again, with all the installs.
Again, try not to flame me, I'm just a Newb that took a chance. Everything is back to normal with only 10min of time to waste.
If i can help anyway, I'll do my best, Hope it helps! From a Newb!

gabitouu
Apr 19, 2010, 03:52 PM
well I was having the same problem but I discover a way to get rid of that error if you have rock installed on your iphone/ ipod touch just enter rock and it will tell you that a package have a problem installing just removes/ delete the package and cydia will opne nice after that hope I help

TioLoco
May 3, 2010, 09:25 AM

I had the problem too and this fixed it... I got into it using iFile. great stuff!

mcannon
May 14, 2010, 05:21 AM
I managed to get Cydia to load after many crashes by opening icy and refreshing the sources and then updating the cydia files. Then closed and was able to open Cydia and update the essential upgrades. Apparently the first time i did this it hung on an error and i didnt know it... Hope it helps.... I have mostly know idea what im talking about but it worked for me.

DEOPWNSALL
Jun 10, 2010, 01:46 PM
Ok, Im having the same prob. And this looks like some legit stuff. Prob is Im new to the whole thing, but am learning quickly, anyway I dont have anything to delete the files with, no ROCK , no Icy , no openSSH and no iFile.
Cydia wont open so I cant get them. I have no idea hot to delete the update folders???

If there is a way to download ROCK without cydia, OR WINSCP, cuz I cant use that right now, im also willing to try that.

Vegastouch
Jun 10, 2010, 04:51 PM
Ok, Im having the same prob. And this looks like some legit stuff. Prob is Im new to the whole thing, but am learning quickly, anyway I dont have anything to delete the files with, no ROCK , no Icy , no openSSH and no iFile.
Cydia wont open so I cant get them. I have no idea hot to delete the update folders???

If there is a way to download ROCK without cydia, OR WINSCP, cuz I cant use that right now, im also willing to try that.

Unless you know how to SSH into your phone from your computer, U B screwed. Restore and then get iFile for if it happens again.

andito
Jun 11, 2010, 10:20 AM
Hi ... similar problem here.

jb'd with Spirit, Cydia was there automatically. I updated Cydia Essentials first, then Cydia never worked again ... so i have nothing since the jb ... what do I do?

thanks for your help.

DEOPWNSALL
Jun 12, 2010, 03:38 PM
Unless you know how to SSH into your phone from your computer, U B screwed. Restore and then get iFile for if it happens again.

Oh ok. Thats what I thought. Like, I know how to ssh. But for winSCP its not the default passwords. My dads a computer tech and Im thinking he reset them. So I cant connect. Thanks for the help anyway tho.

lewej12
Jul 4, 2010, 09:36 AM
I have recently jailbroke my phone and tried the upgrade essentials in cydia but after it has been complete it just went to frozen screen.I could not restart or even turn it off. What do I need to do?

UnderEarthLimbs
Aug 17, 2010, 04:15 PM
I went on cydia my screen turned black and backed out it happens everytime I go on it help me please my computer broke so I jailbroke my iPod from my iPod so please please PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

bioss
Sep 15, 2010, 06:01 AM
i try only this "SSH into the phone and type "rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/*" (without quotes) and hit enter." and the cydia work!

Thanks! :)

joesukhum
Nov 1, 2010, 03:44 AM

I tried to install AppBackup and has the same problem. This solution works for my problem as well. Thank you.

ivan300
Nov 1, 2010, 11:26 AM
I had this issue a couple times. What I did to solve it was:

Open Mobile Terminal

>su
>alpine
>apt-get update

Gingahippy
Dec 2, 2010, 01:22 AM
Hi,

Please help.

I Jailbroke with redsn0w, have an iPhone 3Gs, had to update to baseware 6.15.

After Jailbreak was complete I tried to get into Cydia but it is just a blank silver icon that opens and closes instantly. Safari and Google also close a couple of seconds after opening.

I am pretty much a noob, but followed advice on here, got iPhone explorer and looked into the root/var/lib/dpkg/updates/ but that was empty.

Tried switching on and off but that did nothing, but it no takes a really long time to switch on. I get the message 'waiting for activation this may take some time, but it never activates'.

I don't even know what is waiting to activate.

I bought this phone second hand a couple of days ago. Do I need to put a non AT&T sim card in it to activate or unlock it or should it happen with the AT&T sim card in it?

NYR99
Dec 2, 2010, 01:29 AM
Hi,

Please help.

I Jailbroke with redsn0w, have an iPhone 3Gs, had to update to baseware 6.15.

After Jailbreak was complete I tried to get into Cydia but it is just a blank silver icon that opens and closes instantly. Safari and Google also close a couple of seconds after opening.

I am pretty much a noob, but followed advice on here, got iPhone explorer and looked into the root/var/lib/dpkg/updates/ but that was empty.

Tried switching on and off but that did nothing, but it no takes a really long time to switch on. I get the message 'waiting for activation this may take some time, but it never activates'.

I don't even know what is waiting to activate.

I bought this phone second hand a couple of days ago. Do I need to put a non AT&T sim card in it to activate or unlock it or should it happen with the AT&T sim card in it?
Plug iPhone into computer.
Power off iPhone
Launch RedSn0w
Then when you get to the screen with multiple options, just choose the one that says something to the effect of "just boot tethered" and follow instructions.

jimmycm
Dec 6, 2010, 07:36 PM
Hi,

I got the same problem on my iphone4. OS 4.2.1.

I've jailbroken successfully. I can download any apps now.

But my problem is, my cydia dun seems to be working. Everytime i open, it brings up the window and then closes itself.

What can Cydia do? Is it useful?

Please help me. I'm new to apple products.

Infinilight
Feb 13, 2011, 10:03 PM
ok so i dont know what the hell ifile is either...as stated earlier i am a noob to this..do i download ifile from cydia? because if thats the case i never did and cydia keeps crashing..can i get it from somewhere else?

ifile is an app from cydia you can use it to look at the game code for an iphone app or use it for trouble shooting. i just used that methed to fix my iphone but if cydia doesnt work you wont be able to get it so you would probly want to use ssh :apple:

LakeHMM
May 19, 2011, 03:46 PM
I have the same problem, plus I had never installed OpenSSH on my phone. I just fixed Cydia, though. I tried iPhone Explorer, but it was of no help, because it doesn't really show you the directories. I used the free trial of DiskAid to empty /var/lib/dpkg/updates/, and now Cydia works. I recommend doing that.

luvismydrug
May 29, 2011, 01:43 AM
Well.. Just opening cydia doesn't solve the problem.. Cydia with NO SOURCES is of NO USE.. whenever i add any source to it.., after deleting with ifile.. it update all its sources and same problem again..

I restored with 3.1.2 .. and jailbreaked .. but yet.. when it updates.. it crashes after showing LOADING DATA..

Help if someone knows better solution..

rjdecker
Jun 15, 2011, 09:16 PM
First, crashed iPhone 4 Verizons 4.2.8

I deleted most of my files in iFile due to unknown in memory.

Phone was hard to boot.

Had to hold power button and toggle button at the same time and then try different release options to get it to connect to iTunes.

Can't say eactly what i did, but just keep trying.

Also during re-boot attempts have the phone connected to your computer and make sure you have the lastest version of iTunes on that computer.

Once your phone says connect to iTunes your home free.

Restore and your strating from Scatch.

Regarding cracked apps.

Your carrier has a log of everything that goes between them and your phone.

So they can see everything your doinng on your phone and then Apple can as well.

Apple is cracking down on cracked apps and will prosecute.

Stealing software is stealing software, cracked apps, torrents.

Beware, if you jailbreak your phone pay for the apps.

This is a lot less than a lawyer!!

rick snagwell
Jun 15, 2011, 09:18 PM
First, crashed iPhone 4 Verizons 4.2.8

I deleted most of my files in iFile due to unknown in memory.

Phone was hard to boot.

Had to hold power button and toggle button at the same time and then try different release options to get it to connect to iTunes.

Can't say eactly what i did, but just keep trying.

Also during re-boot attempts have the phone connected to your computer and make sure you have the lastest version of iTunes on that computer.

Once your phone says connect to iTunes your home free.

Restore and your strating from Scatch.

Regarding cracked apps.

Your carrier has a log of everything that goes between them and your phone.

So they can see everything your doinng on your phone and then Apple can as well.

Apple is cracking down on cracked apps and will prosecute.

Stealing software is stealing software, cracked apps, torrents.

Beware, if you jailbreak your phone pay for the apps.

This is a lot less than a lawyer!!

lol...that will never happen.