PDA

View Full Version : Navigon's 'MobileNavigator North America Lite' Comes to the App Store

MacRumors
Jul 10, 2009, 02:04 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/10/navigons-mobilenavigator-north-america-lite-comes-to-the-app-store/)

Article Link: Navigon's 'MobileNavigator North America Lite' Comes to the App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/10/navigons-mobilenavigator-north-america-lite-comes-to-the-app-store/)

swindmill
Jul 10, 2009, 02:08 PM
Is this directions without navigation?

jthomp
Jul 10, 2009, 02:16 PM
Wow... A lite version weighing in at 1.3 gig's? Yowzer!

mrr
Jul 10, 2009, 02:23 PM
I had TOM TOM NAVIGATOR 5 running a few years ago on my Palm Treo with an external Bluetooth GPS and just loved it.

When I got my iPhone3G I had to give up TOM TOM GPS on my phone (Apple sure has moved it's butt slowly on this) and I had to buy an external GPS and got the NAVIGON 5100 for $90 and I do NOT love it. It gives me the strangest directions and I always had better luck with the TOM TOM.

So bottom line is that I don't like the price/performance with the Navigon iPhone software that I am waiting for the TOM TOM iPhone solution.

bbplayer5
Jul 10, 2009, 02:27 PM
blah blah blah, give us the real deal!

floatingspirit
Jul 10, 2009, 02:30 PM
I will not subscribe to any navigation program! I already give my blood to the red cross.

habubauza
Jul 10, 2009, 02:32 PM
Sounds too expensive.

jholzner
Jul 10, 2009, 02:36 PM
I will not subscribe to any navigation program! I already give my blood to the red cross.

Okay, well Navigon isn't a subscription service so...

BeyondtheTech
Jul 10, 2009, 02:58 PM
Remember, they could always pull an in-app purchase for new maps, or just go with another separate app to release for users to purchase and download. So, subscription or not, they're expecting us to leave our wallets open for an extended duration.

Krevnik
Jul 10, 2009, 03:05 PM
Remember, they could always pull an in-app purchase for new maps, or just go with another separate app to release for users to purchase and download. So, subscription or not, they're expecting us to leave our wallets open for an extended duration.

Better a trial of some kind now so we can at least see what the app somewhat looks like rather than just expect 100$ to fly out of our wallet when they drop the real deal.

JMax1
Jul 10, 2009, 03:21 PM
Better a trial of some kind now so we can at least see what the app somewhat looks like rather than just expect 100$ to fly out of our wallet when they drop the real deal.

I think that's what the Lite version is supposed to similar to. Although I wouldn't mind a cheaper version of "Northeast US" with In-app purchases for different area's of the country.

GoodWatch
Jul 10, 2009, 03:30 PM
I'm sorry but a TomTom One Fourth Edition Europe can be had for 145 EUR. And those are unbeatable compared to an iPhone solution. And as much as I like my iPhone, I won't buy TomTom (or any of the other programs, to stay on-topic) for it either. The pricing is just too steep.

vjl323
Jul 10, 2009, 03:39 PM

They can't do in-app purchases for the free version of their app though - that is against AppStore policies. [eg: free apps must always remain free and are not allowed in-app purchases].

They could release a 99 cent app, and charge $40 for different geographic areas of the US via in-app purchases.

/vjl/

Hawkeye411
Jul 10, 2009, 03:42 PM
Is anyone else having a hard time downloading this? I'm loading using my iPhone and it's taking a long time.

guru_ck
Jul 10, 2009, 04:17 PM
Meh, it doesn't have spoken street names.

knewsom
Jul 10, 2009, 04:39 PM
Guys, remember that GMap is still around, and better than ever. Now has voice prompts, etc... you can even buy smaller, lighter versions for specific areas, like NY/NJ, or California. I have US West, and it's like 900 megs, but totally worth it.

I will NOT be getting the Tom Tom, since I have an external tom tom that's fine and all, but lives in the wife's car. GMap is just fine for me, even though the iPhone's GPS chip ain't the greatest.

Michael73
Jul 10, 2009, 04:43 PM

I agree but with 32GB of space, there's plenty of room for this app and lots more! :D

I'm downloading it now...

nfl46
Jul 10, 2009, 04:43 PM
I am downloading the Free Lite version. 21 minutes left.

Tunnelrunner
Jul 10, 2009, 04:52 PM
Is anyone else having a hard time downloading this? I'm loading using my iPhone and it's taking a long time.

Well it's over 1GB in size, so of course it's going to take a long time to DL. When the time comes to update the app, it'll probably take just as long. Again, this is the price to pay for having all the maps of any given continent loaded onto your phone. This is no different than Sygic or G-Map: I can tell you from personal experience, both apps took hours to download and everytime I have to upgrade G-Map, it takes at least 2 hours. I haven't had to update the newly released Sygic yet, but I imagine it'll be the same.

Expect a similar situation for TomTom (which I do plan on buying, btw).

Tunnelrunner
Jul 10, 2009, 04:56 PM
Meh, it doesn't have spoken street names.

It will soon, though. I'll have to look for it but on Twitter, Navigon tweeted that they'll be including text to speech in the next upgrade.

iphones4evry1
Jul 10, 2009, 06:02 PM
Am I reading this correctly that it's a one-time fee of $139, and then you do NOT have to pay a monthly service fee after that ?

swindmill
Jul 10, 2009, 06:03 PM

It's all the same maps as the full version, it just doesn't navigate. At least, that's my understanding.

samab
Jul 10, 2009, 06:17 PM
Am I reading this correctly that it's a one-time fee of $139, and then you do NOT have to pay a monthly service fee after that ?

It depends on "what" you want.

NONE of the one-time payment iphone nav apps (Navigon, Sygic, G-Map) comes with live traffic information and automatic live traffic re-routing --- which is a feature presumably going to be a premium subscription service on top of the one-time payment iphone nav apps.

DaveGee
Jul 10, 2009, 11:20 PM
Well one thing it's got going for it...

That screen shot is actually accurate.
Not such a simple task on the mean streets of NYC / Queens. :D

D

bretm
Jul 10, 2009, 11:48 PM
It's all the same maps as the full version, it just doesn't navigate. At least, that's my understanding.

What does that mean? We already have google maps that give you turn by turn directions. AND traffic for that matter.

SpaceKitty
Jul 11, 2009, 02:11 AM
What does that mean? We already have google maps that give you turn by turn directions. AND traffic for that matter.

It means it doesn't do much. It's more or less just a demo. You can't use it to find an address other than by showing a simulation.

bytethese
Jul 11, 2009, 05:06 PM

Which doesn't work without cell service. :) I've tried using Google maps to navigate and when there's no cell service, it can't download the maps. At least with this, we have the maps locally. :)

optophobia
Jul 12, 2009, 11:40 AM
Which doesn't work without cell service. :) I've tried using Google maps to navigate and when there's no cell service, it can't download the maps. At least with this, we have the maps locally. :)

True. I have downloaded this, so that if I am in an area without cel service, I can still see where I am, find local restaurants etc.

digmo
Jul 12, 2009, 12:32 PM
I think the lite really is just a demo version of the application in that it doesn't give you turn by turn. That said I know a lot of people are hanging on for TomTom but I always found the Navigon system to better on PocketPC. I reviewed the British Isle's version a few weeks ago and really liked it http://www.digmo.co.uk/mobile/navigon-mobilenavigator/

Maps are a little old would be my only criticism. I wondering when TomTom will release theirs ?

David

macbookProSF
Jul 12, 2009, 12:36 PM
Folks

I have this a product as a stand alone GPS and the 3D map via is one of the best features of this product. I have downloaded this lite version and used it to track my location on a 30 mile drive to San Francisco and it tracked perfectly even in a short tunnel. Why would I want to get TomTom application and then have to buy an additional TT GPS/speaker phone kit to make it work. My guess is this is a way for TT to keep the money. They will sell the app cheep on the app store to reduce the money paid to apple and then charge over a $100 for the kit. That is what I would do with the price of GPS devices falling globally.

Believe me I will buy this when it is available!

digmo
Jul 12, 2009, 12:54 PM
Folks

Believe me I will buy this when it is available!

I agree, this system works, it isn't too resource intensive, UK/Ireland maps are about 230MB and it works really well. Totally love the 3D view and the little warning if you go over the speed limit.

The TomTom will have to be extra special if I am to move away from this app.

david

hoplite67
Jul 12, 2009, 06:36 PM
Anyone else having trouble syncing this to their iPhone? I've downloaded it and it won't sync, saying there's not enough room for it. I've deleted so many songs off my iPhone and now and now have 2.62 gigs free, but it still won't sync! I even tried using the App Store directly off my iPhone, but same message.

Any ideas?

chimerical
Jul 12, 2009, 11:42 PM
Anyone else having trouble syncing this to their iPhone? I've downloaded it and it won't sync, saying there's not enough room for it. I've deleted so many songs off my iPhone and now and now have 2.62 gigs free, but it still won't sync! I even tried using the App Store directly off my iPhone, but same message.

Any ideas?

Although the app is 1.3 gigs, you need roughly 2.7 or 2.75 gigs free to prevent a disk space error.

nagromme
Jul 13, 2009, 11:42 AM
I think I'll have to take a bunch of music off, but it looks like it will be worth it.

Some music I can put back on after installation... but will that extra space again be needed when I install updates? I assume so.

Oh well, I can take music on and off and on and off...

CityLights
Jul 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
I downloaded the Lite version for North America and installed it on my iPhone 3G 8Gig. Immediately my springboard crashed and went into Safe-Mode. I rebooted the iPhone and Springboard/Safe-Mode error Immediately occured again! Tried a third reboot and it wasn't a charm! so I deleted the App and my iPhone is working again. I had close to 5 gigs free space on my iPhone so that wasn't the issue. This is the first app I've tried that toasted my springboard.

I also think the price of this All Software App is Insane when I can get a Hardware GPS unit on sale at FutureShop / Best Buy for $100 Canadian

I sure hope no-one with a small data plan like the Roger's value Pack 500meg data plan tries to Download this App from their iPhone's App store while on 3G, lol

nagromme
Jul 13, 2009, 01:47 PM
I downloaded the Lite version for North America and installed it on my iPhone 3G 8Gig. Immediately my springboard crashed and went into Safe-Mode. I rebooted the iPhone and Springboard/Safe-Mode error Immediately occured again! Tried a third reboot and it wasn't a charm! so I deleted the App and my iPhone is working again. I had close to 5 gigs free space on my iPhone so that wasn't the issue. This is the first app I've tried that toasted my springboard.

I also think the price of this All Software App is Insane when I can get a Hardware GPS unit on sale at FutureShop / Best Buy for $100 Canadian

I sure hope no-one with a small data plan like the Roger's value Pack 500meg data plan tries to Download this App from their iPhone's App store while on 3G, lol

The App Store won't download more than 10MB except on WiFi, luckily.

Is your phone Jailbroken?

CityLights
Jul 13, 2009, 02:52 PM
Is your phone Jailbroken?

Yes, and OS3

rstansby
Jul 13, 2009, 10:38 PM

I think these maps will be on your phone, even when you don't have cell service.