Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I had TOM TOM NAVIGATOR 5 running a few years ago on my Palm Treo with an external Bluetooth GPS and just loved it.

When I got my iPhone3G I had to give up TOM TOM GPS on my phone (Apple sure has moved it's butt slowly on this) and I had to buy an external GPS and got the NAVIGON 5100 for $90 and I do NOT love it. It gives me the strangest directions and I always had better luck with the TOM TOM.

So bottom line is that I don't like the price/performance with the Navigon iPhone software that I am waiting for the TOM TOM iPhone solution.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Remember, they could always pull an in-app purchase for new maps, or just go with another separate app to release for users to purchase and download. So, subscription or not, they're expecting us to leave our wallets open for an extended duration.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Remember, they could always pull an in-app purchase for new maps, or just go with another separate app to release for users to purchase and download. So, subscription or not, they're expecting us to leave our wallets open for an extended duration.

Better a trial of some kind now so we can at least see what the app somewhat looks like rather than just expect 100$ to fly out of our wallet when they drop the real deal.

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
Better a trial of some kind now so we can at least see what the app somewhat looks like rather than just expect 100$ to fly out of our wallet when they drop the real deal.

I think that's what the Lite version is supposed to similar to. Although I wouldn't mind a cheaper version of "Northeast US" with In-app purchases for different area's of the country.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
I'm sorry but a TomTom One Fourth Edition Europe can be had for 145 EUR. And those are unbeatable compared to an iPhone solution. And as much as I like my iPhone, I won't buy TomTom (or any of the other programs, to stay on-topic) for it either. The pricing is just too steep.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina

They can't do in-app purchases for the free version of their app though - that is against AppStore policies. [eg: free apps must always remain free and are not allowed in-app purchases].

They could release a 99 cent app, and charge $40 for different geographic areas of the US via in-app purchases.

/vjl/

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Has everyone forgotten?

Guys, remember that GMap is still around, and better than ever. Now has voice prompts, etc... you can even buy smaller, lighter versions for specific areas, like NY/NJ, or California. I have US West, and it's like 900 megs, but totally worth it.

I will NOT be getting the Tom Tom, since I have an external tom tom that's fine and all, but lives in the wife's car. GMap is just fine for me, even though the iPhone's GPS chip ain't the greatest.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Is anyone else having a hard time downloading this? I'm loading using my iPhone and it's taking a long time.

Well it's over 1GB in size, so of course it's going to take a long time to DL. When the time comes to update the app, it'll probably take just as long. Again, this is the price to pay for having all the maps of any given continent loaded onto your phone. This is no different than Sygic or G-Map: I can tell you from personal experience, both apps took hours to download and everytime I have to upgrade G-Map, it takes at least 2 hours. I haven't had to update the newly released Sygic yet, but I imagine it'll be the same.

Expect a similar situation for TomTom (which I do plan on buying, btw).

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Am I reading this correctly that it's a one-time fee of $139, and then you do NOT have to pay a monthly service fee after that ?

It depends on "what" you want.

NONE of the one-time payment iphone nav apps (Navigon, Sygic, G-Map) comes with live traffic information and automatic live traffic re-routing --- which is a feature presumably going to be a premium subscription service on top of the one-time payment iphone nav apps.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Well one thing it's got going for it...

That screen shot is actually accurate.
Not such a simple task on the mean streets of NYC / Queens. :D

D

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
It's all the same maps as the full version, it just doesn't navigate. At least, that's my understanding.

What does that mean? We already have google maps that give you turn by turn directions. AND traffic for that matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.