Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesignerGenes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Omaha, NE
I am putting together a quote PDF form for sales to use here at work. Basically, the sales person fills out the form (in Reader) with pricing, specs, versions, etc. and will email it to a client for approval to proceed with the job.

I am currently the only one in the office that has Acrobat Pro...

I want to know how to secure the information in the form, so the client cannot change the pricing, approve it and send it back to us. There are 2 fields at the bottom of the form that they should be able to fill out, their signature and a check box.

I've been looking for answers, but not finding anything. I am assuming that this cannot be done in Reader, but i wanted to check before i brought up the idea of purchasing 10 more licenses for Acrobat Pro. :rolleyes:

Thanks folks.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
There are 2 fields at the bottom of the form that they should be able to fill out, their signature and a check box.

I've been looking for answers, but not finding anything. I am assuming that this cannot be done in Reader, but i wanted to check before i brought up the idea of purchasing 10 more licenses for Acrobat Pro. :rolleyes:

Thanks folks.

Actually, having the client fill out a form and sign it CAN be done with Acrobat Reader.

You need to build the form in Acrobat Pro, then under the "Advanced" menu select "Extend Features in Adobe Reader"; then save the file. The client should then be able to fill out the form and sign it digitally using only Acrobat Reader. I do this with my proofs every day.

Now, as far as making portions of the quote secure from client changes (the prices and such). I'm sure there is a way to do that in Acrobat Pro, though it's not something I've done, so I can't really help you there.

I'd recommend looking deeper into this before buying multiple Pro licenses – you might just save a ton of moolah, and win employee of the month in the process.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Just a thought. Could you build the sections you want to keep secure in a unique professional font? Something that a client is not likely to have on hand? While it would not secure the doc, it would make alterations obvious.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.