PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Data Within a PDF Form?

DesignerGenes
Jul 10, 2009, 04:03 PM
I am putting together a quote PDF form for sales to use here at work. Basically, the sales person fills out the form (in Reader) with pricing, specs, versions, etc. and will email it to a client for approval to proceed with the job.

I am currently the only one in the office that has Acrobat Pro...

I want to know how to secure the information in the form, so the client cannot change the pricing, approve it and send it back to us. There are 2 fields at the bottom of the form that they should be able to fill out, their signature and a check box.

I've been looking for answers, but not finding anything. I am assuming that this cannot be done in Reader, but i wanted to check before i brought up the idea of purchasing 10 more licenses for Acrobat Pro. :rolleyes:

Thanks folks.

sigmadog
Jul 13, 2009, 09:35 PM
There are 2 fields at the bottom of the form that they should be able to fill out, their signature and a check box.

I've been looking for answers, but not finding anything. I am assuming that this cannot be done in Reader, but i wanted to check before i brought up the idea of purchasing 10 more licenses for Acrobat Pro. :rolleyes:

Thanks folks.

Actually, having the client fill out a form and sign it CAN be done with Acrobat Reader.

You need to build the form in Acrobat Pro, then under the "Advanced" menu select "Extend Features in Adobe Reader"; then save the file. The client should then be able to fill out the form and sign it digitally using only Acrobat Reader. I do this with my proofs every day.

Now, as far as making portions of the quote secure from client changes (the prices and such). I'm sure there is a way to do that in Acrobat Pro, though it's not something I've done, so I can't really help you there.

I'd recommend looking deeper into this before buying multiple Pro licenses you might just save a ton of moolah, and win employee of the month in the process.

Designer Dale
Jul 14, 2009, 12:44 AM
Just a thought. Could you build the sections you want to keep secure in a unique professional font? Something that a client is not likely to have on hand? While it would not secure the doc, it would make alterations obvious.

Dale

telecomm
Jul 14, 2009, 01:42 AM
This can be done, see PM.