Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
my info:

imac 20" intel dual core 2.0ghz
4 gigs ram
3 ext drives (2 fw & 1 USB)
FCP 6.0.5 & compressor 3.0.5

MBP (first GEN)
2ghz intel dual core
2 gigs ram
320 hd
same final cut and compressor

questions
1. I have tried over and over again to set up a cluster for the sake of faster rendering for compressor. YES, I have read the forums but can someone please put it in english? I'm a pretty tech savy guy, but it seems a little lost beyond me. PLus, I can't seem to find how you are supposed to hook the two together.

2. bottle neck.
I notice when I am rendering in compressor, that in the activity monitor, my CPU's are not being 100% used. Does that mean my hard drive is too slow? the movie I am working on now is spread over the 3 externals and my internal.

3. I have read about using "self contained movies" to export to COMPRESSOR but have no idea how to do that. Help?

thank you in advance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdmZZSOiv4g&feature=channel_page

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
When you export a movie there is a box you check to make movie self contained. You have to expot the movie first, then open it in compressor. If you send it to compressor from fc it won't use the cluster. Seems to be a bug.
Before this you have to set up a virtual cluster using Qmaster in the system prefs. Took me ages to figure this out

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
It's normal for the CPUs to not read exactly 100% when rendering. It has nothing to do with the speed of your disks. They should be at least around 90%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.