Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mugambo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
After 10 long days I get back my black macbook from repair.
After receiving it at the store, I insisted on checking it for all those 100 issues I'd previously posted.
I notice that the battery has bulged because it is clearly sticking out (non in a straight line) indicating the bulge.
I was asked by the genius to make an appointment.
Ok I made an appointment after 10 minutes at the same store and went up to genius bar.
The genius goes, I don't know what to say. This is treated as a 'cosmetic issue' and you will have to pay for a new battery.
There is nothing we can do that would be covered under warranty :mad:

It was too late in the evening to call Apple Care.

What should I tell them when I call?
I want to know before hand if this is a common issue or a rare occurrence?

I have waited for 10 days and after all this, I have to live with a battery that is sticking out. Hope it won't blow up!

I am not getting any errors while charging or while running on battery. The estimated times of charge and the rest are pretty accurate. Please suggest something for this mess!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
The "genius" you spoke with may have been anything but, unless during repair they damaged your battery tray area causing a poor fit.

Usually you can get a bulging battery replaced no issue. Give AppleCare a call, they should straighten everything out.

Mugambo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
The "genius" you spoke with may have been anything but, unless during repair they damaged your battery tray area causing a poor fit.

Usually you can get a bulging battery replaced no issue. Give AppleCare a call, they should straighten everything out.

Would they repair the battery tray area that is causing a poor fit if this issue persists even after changing a battery?

Also, won't they replace the battery if it is functioning properly but sticking out like an alligator!! :eek:

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
If the battery is in fact bulging to due swollen cells, they should replace it. If it's something related to the repair, they'll fix that too.

If it is just a cosmetic issue, like the cover of the battery becoming ill-fitting, they won't cover that.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
Also, won't they replace the battery if it is functioning properly but sticking out like an alligator!! :eek:

am I the only one that thinks this is funny?!? What sticks out like alligators??? LOL

Applecare should send you a new battery. The swelling might lead to something much worse..

Edit: 1500th post :)

Mugambo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
am I the only one that thinks this is funny?!? What sticks out like alligators??? LOL

Applecare should send you a new battery. The swelling might lead to something much worse..

Edit: 1500th post :)

I found the alligator bit quite odd too.

Must be a regional thing

The gap is opening up like the mouth of an alligator guys. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.