PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Denies Rumors of MMS Delays, Tethering Costs for iPhone

MacBytes
Jul 11, 2009, 08:22 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: AT&T Denies Rumors of MMS Delays, Tethering Costs for iPhone (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090711092259)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

cohibadad
Jul 11, 2009, 10:26 AM
$55 tethering plan would be insane. As it is, the data rates for iPhone are the worst part of it. At the original $20 it was reasonable but the jump to $30 was AT&T squeezing a captive audience. The data rates are the strongest case that can be made for the need of competition and multi-carrier iPhone availability IMO.

aristobrat
Jul 11, 2009, 10:37 AM
At the original $20 it was reasonable but the jump to $30 was AT&T squeezing a captive audience.
I guess that's one way to look at it. Why bother mentioning the part about AT&T subsidizing $400 worth of the phones cost?

What cracks me up the most is that it seems like everyone wants the iPhone on Verizon. Verizon charges pretty much the exact same that AT&T does.

dumell
Jul 11, 2009, 11:34 AM
Here in Finland the "iPhone monopoly" is held by the carrier Sonera and they offer the phone subsidized with an expensive data plan or you can pay it up front (750 USD for the 32 GB 3GS) and get a unlimited data plan for 7 USD per month and tethering is fully supported at no extra cost (and works great). And yes, MMS worked the day 3.0 was released.

Unsubsidized phones are expensive, but if you can not afford the unsubsidized phone, you are only fooling your self thinking you can afford the subsidized one.

GoCubsGo
Jul 11, 2009, 11:36 AM
Of course they do. Tethering will be free and MMS is coming "late summer".

MarkSTi04
Jul 11, 2009, 11:58 AM
It would be nice if tethering would cost only $5 if not free. Its nice to not pay for Wi-Fi at Starbucks or McDonalds because I have AT&T DSL at home and I can use my email log in to access those services for free! Why cant this be the same? Do I sense some greedy people at AT&T?

aristobrat
Jul 11, 2009, 12:26 PM
It would be nice if tethering would cost only $5 if not free. Its nice to not pay for Wi-Fi at Starbucks or McDonalds because I have AT&T DSL at home and I can use my email log in to access those services for free! Why cant this be the same? Do I sense some greedy people at AT&T?
Do you have any idea of how many billions of dollars it would cost *any* cell phone provider to allow free tethering and still maintain a data network that gives any sort of decent speed?

You talk like this is an AT&T-only thing when the reality of it is that NO major network allows tethering for just the price of a smartphone data plan. So your "greedy" sensor should be sensing a whole lot, .. not just at AT&T.

Carriers *dont'* want people canceling their home Internet connection and using tethering as their sole Internet connection, which is exactly what a ton of people would do if their $30/smartphone data plan could be used for their computer, too.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 11, 2009, 12:49 PM
$55 tethering plan would be insane. As it is, the data rates for iPhone are the worst part of it. At the original $20 it was reasonable but the jump to $30 was AT&T squeezing a captive audience. The data rates are the strongest case that can be made for the need of competition and multi-carrier iPhone availability IMO.

Well the $30 rate is the cost of all smart phones with ATT so it is bring it in line.
As it also has been pointed out many times before is the data rate cost with tethering is the same as if you had an Air card.

chstr
Jul 11, 2009, 04:17 PM
i paid a one time $29 and tether unlimitedly :D

JeffTL
Jul 11, 2009, 04:29 PM

My fiancée's BlackBerry has the same monthly rate (standard voice + $30 data) as my iPhone. So I don't really feel cheated at all.

tweaks
Jul 11, 2009, 04:45 PM
i paid a one time $29 and tether unlimitedly :D

lol why pay the 29.00?
:D back at ya.

Edit:

NM i got ya.....

bry223
Jul 11, 2009, 07:06 PM
I guess that's one way to look at it. Why bother mentioning the part about AT&T subsidizing $400 worth of the phones cost?

What cracks me up the most is that it seems like everyone wants the iPhone on Verizon. Verizon charges pretty much the exact same that AT&T does.

$400? Doesn't it cost apple around $180 in parts to build the iphone?

aristobrat
Jul 11, 2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah, just like it costs 5 cents of syrup and water and 3 cents a cup to sell you a $1.59 soda at any fast food restaurant. (There's way more to the cost of a product than the simple sum of the cost of the parts)

cohibadad
Jul 11, 2009, 07:53 PM
My fiancée's BlackBerry has the same monthly rate (standard voice + $30 data) as my iPhone. So I don't really feel cheated at all.

I think Blackberry is a different case. At least it was for me with my prior carrier. There was a mandatory Blackberry Server charge of $40/month that included data. Not that I think that is a fair deal. I used my own Blackberry Enterprise Server and was still required to pay for their server which I never used.

Of course they do. Tethering will be free and MMS is coming "late summer".

I can't see tethering being free. AT&T justified the $20 -> $30 increase from iPhone 1st gen to 2nd gen by claiming increased internet usage. Tethering would be an automatic expectation of increased usage for which they charge every other handset.

aristobrat
Jul 11, 2009, 07:56 PM
I can't see tethering being free. AT&T justified the $20 -> $30 increase from iPhone 1st gen to 2nd gen by claiming increased internet usage. Tethering would be an automatic expectation of increased usage for which they charge every other handset.
AT&T charges $30 extra to other smartphone plans for data tethering. I'd be surprised if they did anything different for the iPhone.

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/popup/dataconnect-comp-table.jsp
(look for PDA Personal + Tethering)

nagromme
Jul 13, 2009, 02:21 PM

And a LITTLE bit of software/hardware R&D ;)

iPhoneNYC
Jul 13, 2009, 03:06 PM
ATT knows they will loose the iPhone. Contract will be open to Verizon and others come 2011. They may try to squeeze this one for all its worth. They have done nothing to keep high paying customers loyal.

aristobrat
Jul 13, 2009, 03:09 PM
They have done nothing to keep high paying customers loyal.
What's an example of something that other carriers do to keep high-paying customers loyal? :confused:

numediaman
Jul 13, 2009, 04:01 PM
ATT knows they will loose the iPhone.

Some typos make me giggle out loud. This one sounds like it could be the name of a song: Loose the iPhone, Baby!

But your point is correct, it seems inevitable that AT&T loses its monopoly.

munkees
Jul 13, 2009, 04:24 PM
Some typos make me giggle out loud. This one sounds like it could be the name of a song: Loose the iPhone, Baby!

But your point is correct, it seems inevitable that AT&T loses its monopoly.

I hope they do, if you want loyal customers, then you need to support them, but all these wireless companies, don't give a hoot about the customer, just the stock price, it the same with most companies, but the phone companies are the worst of them all.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 13, 2009, 11:10 PM
ATT knows they will loose the iPhone. Contract will be open to Verizon and others come 2011. They may try to squeeze this one for all its worth. They have done nothing to keep high paying customers loyal.

but no one has ever answer this question. WHY should iPhone users get such special treatment compared to lets say blackberry or their other smart phones. The iPhone cost the same as the other smart phones