Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I was wondering today what happened to the old monthly assignment threads which had seemingly disappeared. I did some digging, but I couldn't find exactly why they fell apart. Would anyone be interested in being apart of them if they were brought back? Just looking to create some discussion on this.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Is there absolutely no interest in the monthly assignment now that we have the Picture of the Day or is everyone simply indifferent to the idea?

John

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
I never submitted anything to one of them, but if they started again, I might.

Why not propose one, and see if anyone submits anything?

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
I like the idea. :)

It will give us all something fun to do, and we can see everyone's approach to a similar subject. Sounds like fun. :D

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Maybe the Weekly Photo Contest has "replaced" the monthly assignment, but I'm not that sure.

Just try it and start a monthly assignment and see what happens. But I think, that the duration might be a bit too long, as even the weekly photo contest has lost some contestants over the past months.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
... I think, that the duration might be a bit too long, as even the weekly photo contest has lost some contestants over the past months.

What about a bi-week challenge or assignment? Would there be interest in that?

As for themes, I think anything could be used and I don't think we need to avoid past assignment categories as they haven't been used for ages. Three I came up with are Geometry, After Hours (night photography) , and Silhouette(s). Anyone have a suggestion?

I really think this could be fun.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I ran the monthly assignments for a short time. They fell apart because of lack of interest. The weekly contests popped up because interest was reignited in the new format.

Those who ran the monthly assignments were very careful to keep the same formatting throughout to make searches in the future simpler. PM me if you're interested in the code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.