Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I've been lured into some awful apps because I fell for the slick write-ups by the developers.

Never again. Right? (Wrong. :( )

I've cursed myself for buying it, but download it I did:

Genius Clock

Now, before you say, big deal. When it first hit the app store it sold for $24.99. This was kind of before I knew apps went on sale.

It is what it is but even as a clock it is worthless as there are NO directions and not even a website to explain what the colors mean in relationship to time.
So it sits in my iTunes tray as a reminder to not get wrapped up in wanting an app so bad so as not to explore it a bit and see what it really is and, more importantly, what it really isn't.

Care to admit any of your failures when it comes to buying (near worthless) apps?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I've been lured into some awful apps because I fell for the slick write-ups by the developers.

Never again. Right? (Wrong. :( )

I've cursed myself for buying it, but download it I did:

Genius Clock

Now, before you say, big deal. When it first hit the app store it sold for $24.99. This was kind of before I knew apps went on sale.

It is what it is but even as a clock it is worthless as there are NO directions and not even a website to explain what the colors mean in relationship to time.
So it sits in my iTunes tray as a reminder to not get wrapped up in wanting an app so bad so as not to explore it a bit and see what it really is and, more importantly, what it really isn't.

Care to admit any of your failures when it comes to buying (near worthless) apps?

I only "buy" free apps. Some of those have totally sucked, but at least I didn't pay for them.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
OMG! and i felt really dumb buying a dumb/useless .99/1.99 app!
210.gif

dordar

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
it is possible to get your money back from apple, if you are disapointed with an app!

Just contact them and you will get your money back. However apple still takes their 30% so the developer will lose 100% means. He will need to pay 30% back to apple...

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
it is possible to get your money back from apple, if you are disapointed with an app!

Just contact them and you will get your money back. However apple still takes their 30% so the developer will lose 100% means. He will need to pay 30% back to apple...

I'm sure that's accurate and fair, but honestly- it was my dumb ass mistake to purchase without hesitation. My fault. My expense.
That's the cost of me doing business.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Worst apps I ever got where iGotchi thinking my kids would like and Cro-Mag back when it was $9.99. Played that game 3 times max.

That's why I download cracked versions of apps now for those with no demos to try before I buy.

iphoneftw

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
what i hate is that there are lite apps
there would be a lot less free apps if there werent any lite apps
i wish that you could try before you buy for a day
instead of having the app store bogged with lite apps

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007

I've tried that twice and got nothing twice. The apps were complete garbage. All I got back from Apple was an email say they do not warrant the usability or function of any application and if I had problems to contact the developer.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Facebook. Yea, I know, it's not some developer scoring a quick buck with some novelty app, but Facebook's app has serious issues with iPhone OS 3.0. Can't load inbox messages, pictures, etc. It's not even that useful, you can't publish anything, only view and maybe update ur status.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
When I first got my phone everyone told me I had to get Air Sharing. It's a great app, but I really have no use for it. Especially since it doesn't work on our network at work. Otherwise it would be an easier replacement for my USB drive.

Anyway, I've found a solution that's been working great for me. I allow myself 1 app purchase every payday. So that means I have two weeks to try things out and hopefully make a more informed purchase when the time comes. It also gives me time to actually use my last purchase. In the past I've picked up several things at once, gotten addicted to one particular game and lost interest in the other before I find time to play it.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
beejive i know im gonna get flamed for this but i bought this prior to the 3.0 sale so i paid 16.99 before that it was great but since the 3.0 version has come out im geting disconected everyother time or it just becomes really slugish. Even the free aim has been more stable right now and im seriously considering buying the pro version since its been so well and Aim is the most used im app i use at the moment

Never2L8

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2009
LA area of Southern California
Megaphone Free by Smudge Apps.

I really wanted this to work so that I could "megaphone" my husband while he is immersed in TV. But i could not get it to work. Not with the 3GS or 1st Gen. Nor with different speakers, amplified or not.

Since it is free, I challenge anyone with a thick skin for frustration to get it to work - and then post how you did it!

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Asphalt4. I hated the controls. Bought that at $10.

A few 99 cent games here and there.

Gsyncair. I wanted to back up my contacts to gmail. Sync failed halfway through, and my contacts first names and lastnames were backwards, some had the first name for both first and lastnames, contacts duplicated twice and three times over, and it was just one massive mess on both my iPhone and in gmail. I spent the next two hours fixing everything up.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Facebook. Yea, I know, it's not some developer scoring a quick buck with some novelty app, but Facebook's app has serious issues with iPhone OS 3.0. Can't load inbox messages, pictures, etc. It's not even that useful, you can't publish anything, only view and maybe update ur status.

Keep in mind that there is 1 guy working on Facebook's app. One, (1), uno. For an app like that I'd say he's doing a good job with what he has. Also, I haven't had any issues with Facebook on 3.0...

I haven't bought any I would call "terrible." However, I have wasted a fair bit of money on stuff I thought I might actually use but never have.

Slip Jigs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
There's a difference between a bad app and one that has bugs or one that you don't think works right because you didn't do your research.

Never2L8

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2009
LA area of Southern California
You're right that there may be different reasons that contribute to a bad app. But the original poster asked this in the last line:

"Care to admit any of your failures when it comes to buying (near worthless) apps?"

So it doesn't matter whether an app is buggy or not. I think the poster is just asking which apps turn out to be "worthless" or useless for the end user.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I'm always happy when none of my own apps show up in these threads.:eek:

I think the only one I really regret is Crash Kart because I just didn't play it that much. I got it around the same time as ScribBall (Which is about as far as you can get from regret. This is the greatest game nobody knows about) and Super Monkey Ball so they took much more of my time. But even so, it's not hard to get your money's worth out of most apps if you just look into a little bit before buying.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
But even so, it's not hard to get your money's worth out of most apps if you just look into a little bit before buying.

Usually. I've been hearing about Flight Control everywhere. I watched the review on YouTube, read the reviews on the app store, etc. So I finally picked it up last week and so far I've not really been able to get into it. I've enjoyed it slightly, but it wouldn't come anywhere near my top games list. Of course I've not given up on it just yet, but I'm thinking this will end up getting very little play time in the long run. Not to say it's a bad game of course. It has a huge following. It just appears that it's the right game for me.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Keep in mind that there is 1 guy working on Facebook's app. One, (1), uno. For an app like that I'd say he's doing a good job with what he has. Also, I haven't had any issues with Facebook on 3.0...

I haven't bought any I would call "terrible." However, I have wasted a fair bit of money on stuff I thought I might actually use but never have.

i find that the mobile version of facebook is better than the app itself

why anyone uses the dedicated app is beyond me. just make the bookmark an icon on the screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.