PDA

View Full Version : iCal and your Phone

triton
Jun 6, 2004, 05:04 PM
Hi,

Does anyone here use iCal to sync with there cell phone calendar? I am in the market to buy a phone soon, and would love to buy a sony ericsson. However, I am not really too keen on the size of their smart phones still. I just want one that can help me keep my calendar straight, and be a great phone at the same time. I would like to use iCal if possible to sync my dates. Has anyone had any problems with doing this on sony ericsson phones? How does bluetooth work with apple's off of these phones?

I understand it must be a pain to enter info into the phone when your away from the desk. Has anyone tried out the sony ericsson p900? I would appreciate any help! :o

toughboy
Jun 6, 2004, 05:09 PM
Hi,

Does anyone here use iCal to sync with there cell phone calendar? I am in the market to buy a phone soon, and would love to buy a sony ericsson. However, I am not really too keen on the size of their smart phones still. I just want one that can help me keep my calendar straight, and be a great phone at the same time. I would like to use iCal if possible to sync my dates. Has anyone had any problems with doing this on sony ericsson phones? How does bluetooth work with apple's off of these phones?

I understand it must be a pain to enter info into the phone when your away from the desk. Has anyone tried out the sony ericsson p900? I would appreciate any help! :o

I have Sony Ericsson t610 and I really frequently use iCal and iSync to sync the occations and meetings and etc.. I love them, I havent faced with any problems since now..

but I'm a little curious about your buying decision, isnt p900 a bit BIG? will you really carry it all around?? I love my t610 and it is 1/4 of p900..

abhishekit
Jun 6, 2004, 05:13 PM
i hv a SE T616, which is very similar in built to the 610. And it works seamlessly with isync, ical, address book , even salling clicker. no problems.

cheers

toughboy
Jun 6, 2004, 05:18 PM
i hv a SE T616, which is very similar in built to the 610. And it works seamlessly with isync, ical, address book , even salling clicker. no problems.

cheers

oh yes.. sailing clicker.. its a program build for bluetooth to control your mac from your phone.. its great but its not free :( there is "romeo" though, which does the same job with less features but FREE :)

you'll love it when you use the joystick on the phone as a cursor on the screen, or when you're listening to music, it automatically mutes when a incoming call is detected :) Romeo is good..

russed
Jun 6, 2004, 05:24 PM
i have a sony erricson z600 and it does everthing i could ask for wither regards to ical and address book syncing. coulndnt fault it!

triton
Jun 6, 2004, 05:27 PM
I have Sony Ericsson t610 and I really frequently use iCal and iSync to sync the occations and meetings and etc.. I love them, I havent faced with any problems since now..

but I'm a little curious about your buying decision, isnt p900 a bit BIG? will you really carry it all around?? I love my t610 and it is 1/4 of p900..

I really DON'T want to get the P900. However, I need a phone that has at the very least the capabilities of keeping contacts, and dates with out any problems from ical. It seems that from what I've read, that Sony Ericssons work fairly well with Apple's.

My main question is how well cell phones with pda's stuffed into work, rather than PDA's with phones stuffed into them. Thanks for your help thus far! ;)

russed
Jun 6, 2004, 05:33 PM
well the z600 and t610 are basically the same phone (the z600 is in flip form) and they store contacts well with address book and will update address book when you add contacts. the same is the case for ical, you get an ical style display of the week ahead and shows most of the detials you need (time, event, place etc) so it does basic pda functions quite well in my opinion but isnt as big!

josepho
Jun 6, 2004, 05:45 PM
Let me chime in.

I have the SE P900, which I've used as my main phone for about 6 months. To be honest, I don't find that it is too big at all... and considering you get a really big screen and a bucket load of features I'd definitely say it's worth it. Sure, the majority of joe-schmoes out there wouldn't use half of what it has to offer, but if you're in the market for a powerful phone which'll sync well with iSync, et al. then the P900 could be for you!

On a different note I'm actually getting a little fed up of the P900... just because I've had it for a little while. I'm thinking of upgrading/downgrading to the Z600... let's just say I'm thinking of changing my phone for the Z600. I work with phones so I do tend to be a little restless when it comes to what I use (though the Nokia 6310i is still the best PHONE phone!).

Don't be put off by the size - unless you're a midget, or you always like to have a TINY handbag it won't be a problem!

triton
Jun 6, 2004, 05:51 PM
How does one enter information on say a phone that is a PDA second? Sure, you can do it via iCal, but when your away from home, how hard is it to do on your phone first? :confused: Of course, this is if you DON'T have something like a P900.

josepho
Jun 6, 2004, 05:56 PM
How does one enter information on say a phone that is a PDA second? Sure, you can do it via iCal, but when your away from home, how hard is it to do on your phone first? :confused: Of course, this is if you DON'T have something like a P900.

I find that regardless of what phone I'm using (6310i/P900/XDA II/T630/whatever) it's SIGNIFICANTLY more labour intensive and slow that typing it right into the computer, but at the same time, generally calander entries are short affairs - you're not typing your bloody life story, so it doesn't pose to much of a problem.

The stylus of the P900 does alleviate some of the problems of T9 predictive text, etc. but at the same time means that you must use two hands to enter stuff... Six and half a dozen really!

mattroberts
Jun 6, 2004, 06:28 PM
i have the t616 and i use it to sync contacts and ical etc.

One thing from my point of view - Addresses. The T616 doesn't sync them. Its maddening and i've been faced with several times where i've had to yank out my PB to get an address. Other than that though the thing is seamless.

cheers

triton
Jun 6, 2004, 07:14 PM
I'm looking to purchase a Sony Ericsson K700 whenever they come out. Do Sony Ericssons have trouble in general with Address Book syncing ? :confused:

kgarner
Jun 7, 2004, 10:25 AM
I do it with my 610 and it works fine. The only thing that doesn't work are all day events. Those are apparently not supported by the Sony calendar program, but everything else works great. And iSync is awesome, I can sync both mine and my wife's 610 at the same time.

virividox
Jun 7, 2004, 10:37 AM
t68 i use it frequently has my whole sched and everything including alarms

powerbookje
Jun 7, 2004, 11:37 AM
I have a P900 and in my opinion is is not big. Ok, my previous T610 was smaller, but hey, the P900 has a BIG touch screen, and is PDA. I always bought PDA's and a mobile to check my mails, now I have those 2 in my P9. I love mine, and with salling clicker it's the perfect combo