Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Never used it, never seen it anywhere other than Microsoft's own site. Am I missing something?

If you've got a Netflix subscription, you need to install Silverlight to play streaming video from Netflix.

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
As much as I hate to say it, Silverlight seems to outclass Flash in every way. It's one of the best pieces of software that Microsoft has released in a long time.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Silverlight 3 Adds H.264 Support, Hardware Acceleration

Microsoft has officially launched Silverlight 3, the latest major update to their web media platform.

New features in Silverlight 3 include the addition of H.264/AAC codec support and "Smooth Streaming" which "dynamically detects and seamlessly switches, in real time, the video quality of a media file delivered to Silverlight based on local bandwidth and CPU conditions." Full-screen resolutions up to 720p are supported with GPU hardware acceleration. Additional feature details and a download of the plug-in are available from Microsoft's website (Intel-only).

Silverlight has made some inroads since being launched in 2007, with Netflix using the technology to deliver streaming video content to PCs and Macs. Other big-name providers using Silverlight include NBC, Tata Motors, and Continental Airlines. Microsoft provides runtimes for Windows, Mac, and Linux, however development is limited to Windows platforms.

While Silverlight competes mostly with Adobe's Flash, Apple has been working to blunt the impact of such technologies with their efforts on standards-based HTML5 and today's news of 3D CSS effects in Snow Leopard's Safari.

Article Link: Silverlight 3 Adds H.264 Support, Hardware Acceleration

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Don't need it, won't download it. It's just another proprietary bait to lock users into a technology that will later stop being updated and lag behind Windows versions, just like every other piece of MS junk released for Macs. Sensible users should STAY clear of yet another monopolistic act by our favorite software company, not to mention the fact that it phones home.

MS IS DEAD.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Netflix Watch Instantly will now come to the iPhone and AppleTV. This was the missing link, as Apple will never embrace Windows Media format.

I see this as good news.

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
No, you wont need to uninstall Adobe first. Things that are designed for Adobe will still need Adobe, but things that are designed for Silverlight will require Silverlight

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
Don't need it, won't download it. It's just another proprietary bait to lock users into a technology that will later stop being updated and lag behind Windows versions, just like every other piece of MS junk released for Macs. Sensible users should STAY clear of yet another monopolistic act by our favorite software company, not to mention the fact that it phones home.

MS IS DEAD.

-The alternative is flash, which is also horrible on macs

-I like apple, but if there's one thing they love to do it's pushing their own formats and locking in users, I don't think only MS is to blame.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I was excited to see this update hoping that they fixed a Known bug. When watching Silverlight content on an external monitor the content will not play full screen. It initially plays full screen but as soon as you click anything on your main display the Silverlight content on the external monitor reverts back to windowed mode. This feature is desired because a lot of Netflix subscribers (including myself) would like to watch Netflix streaming content full screen on their external monitor.

FYI for anyone trying to solve this: Plex is free and does enable external monitor full screen playback from Netflix with a free plugin. The negative is that the fast forward and rewind controls don't work properly in plex (yet).

bobertoq

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008

MS IS DEAD.
Have you even tried it or are you just saying that because your are biased against microsoft? I think silverlight kicks flash's butt.

http://www.shinedraw.com/mathematics/silverlight-vs-flash-throwing-object/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.