PDA

View Full Version : Water Everywhere!

drewsies
Jun 7, 2004, 07:21 AM
Ok so my roommate knocked over almost half of a bottle of water onto my Powerbook G4 Keyboard. I turned it upside down and shut it off. I tried turning it on the next morning, but alas, nothing happened. Then, miraculously, while on the phone with Apple, the damn thing turned on. But the trackpad didn't work. Then, later in the day, the trackpad started working. Apple wants me to send it in for repair, but I don't want to spend maybe $900 to fix what could be a perfectly fine computer. What do I do? Is my computer messed up? Thanks

Drewsies

brap
Jun 7, 2004, 07:31 AM
...Apple wants me to send it in for repair, but I don't want to spend maybe $900 to fix what could be a perfectly fine computer. What do I do? Is my computer messed up?

Personally, I'd wait a while and see if the problems sort themselves out (unless, of course, there's a time-limit on the warranty or such). It was only water, after all, and i've done the same thing many times with various pieces of equipment...

BUT - turning it on after such a short time was probably a bad idea. You need to give it plenty of time (days) to dry out, otherwise there could be short-circuits and other nastiness. if time is an issue i'd get a cool hair-dryer on it or something.

Eitherway -- why isn't your clumsy roommate paying for the repair?

crazytom
Jun 7, 2004, 08:43 AM
Out of anything liquid, water is probably the second best thing to have spilled on your computer---rubbing alchohol being the first best---soda/beer would mean certain death for it. brap is right in that you tried to power it back up so soon. If everything is working correctly now, I don't see the need to send it in, but I'd run it 24/7 for a while to be sure.

krimson
Jun 7, 2004, 09:01 AM
If i were you, i wouldn't turn it on until you were SURE that all the water is gone... open it up as much you can/brave enough to do, and run a hair dryer over everything (move it around for consistant heating) for while.

virividox
Jun 7, 2004, 09:06 AM
your lucky your powerbook still works

but if it stops send it in asap

blue&whiteman
Jun 7, 2004, 09:33 AM
first thing I would do is never let that roommate near it again. anyone who is going to be that careless around a computer shouldn't be alowed to use any but his/her own.

7on
Jun 7, 2004, 12:07 PM
first thing I would do is never let that roommate near it again. anyone who is going to be that careless around a computer shouldn't be alowed to use any but his/her own.

I second that. I let noone touch my laptop. Except for the occasional cute girl whose computer was taken out by the Blaster/MyDOOM worm and she needs to write a paper ;P