PDA

View Full Version : New powerbook 12" fan - weird

Diatribe
Jun 7, 2004, 09:03 AM
I just received my new 12" 1,33GHz powerbook and was going to write about how much I like it. But this fan is annoying me to death. It is on ALWAYS. It doesn't matter what I do, even when the display is asleep and the HD too it still goes. Although you cannot hear it when it's noisy(like in class) it is bugging the hell outta me when I am in the library or at home studying. It just doesn't quit. When I do a backup it is louder for about 20 minutes afterwards than my ibook ever was playing games.
I just called Apple and they want me to send it in, because they THINK the fan shouldn't come on. So this is going to be 10+ days without a computer... how does one stand this? My life is on there. This sucks big time.
Does anyone else have this problem or are all the other fans out there quiet?
Sorry but I had to vent... I just had this pb for 1 day now. :(

wrldwzrd89
Jun 7, 2004, 09:38 AM
I just received my new 12" 1,33GHz powerbook and was going to write about how much I like it. But this fan is annoying me to death. It is on ALWAYS. It doesn't matter what I do, even when the display is asleep and the HD too it still goes. Although you cannot hear it when it's noisy(like in class) it is bugging the hell outta me when I am in the library or at home studying. It just doesn't quit. When I do a backup it is louder for about 20 minutes afterwards than my ibook ever was playing games.
I just called Apple and they want me to send it in, because they THINK the fan shouldn't come on. So this is going to be 10+ days without a computer... how does one stand this? My life is on there. This sucks big time.
Something is definitely wrong with that PowerBook...the fan shouldn't be on all the time, like Apple says. I'd send it in - at least you'll have a computer that works like it's supposed to after it is done being fixed rather than a semi-working one that drives you bonkers.

titaniumducky
Jun 7, 2004, 10:42 AM

On my 15" it varies - I usually have the temperature fairly high (read 80 degrees). Even then it still is off a reasonable amount of time.

I would say you should definitely send it in. Hopefully Apple can fix it.

I'm assuming your PB has 10.3.4 (or 10.3.3) on it. Apple updated the fan firmware in 10.3.2 in 12 inchers because of complaints about heat. I can't help you on specifics, but the .kext file (I think) which controls this can be restored of the Panther disk to give you the original behavior. This will make your PB hotter but quieter.

FritzTheWonderM
Jun 7, 2004, 10:49 AM
Couple of things, first try setting "Processor Preformance" to reduced on the options tab of the Energy Saver control panel. This 'should' keep the cpu temp below the fan kick in point (about 60 degrees C, shuts off again about 55). You can use the Temperature Text widget and Konfabulator to monitor the CPU Temp:

http://www.widgetgallery.com/view.php?widget=35909

Next, I have found out the hard way that the Al powerbook cases bend. I pick up my 17" from the left hinge side corner a lot. It turns out this is where the CPU fan is, and I have managed to squeeze it enough to get the fan to rub on some component. Now it sounds like it going to eat itself when it kicks on. I don't have the guts to pop the case and investigate further.

Hope that helps.

Diatribe
Jun 7, 2004, 11:18 AM
Scary thing is that the fan is noticeable even at 45°Celcius(113°F) and once it is spinning really loud it doesn't stop for quite some time. I just called Apple and they are going to pick it up on wednesday. So there's hope. Wish me luck.