Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
In my Documents folder, I set up a number of folders (one for each job I'm working on); each of these has subfolders to further categorize each job's files.

In OS 10.3.3, when I'm in Word using the Save As function, how can I choose the specific folder or subfolder where I want to save the file to? I can tell it to place the file in my Documents folder, on the desktop, on my hard drive, in recently used places, and in several other folders, but I don't seem to be able to browse within Documents to pick the actual file location like I could in OS9.

I also have this problem when I'm in Mail 1.3.4. (This is really irritating because I like to save my old Mail messages to the specific job folder it belongs in, not just Documents or the desktop.)

(My apologies if this has been answered in a previous thread. I couldn't think of unique enough search terms to find the answer; searching with the terms Save As Word didn't yield anything relevant to my question.)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mws said:

In OS 10.3.3, when I'm in Word using the Save As function, how can I choose the specific folder or subfolder where I want to save the file to? I can tell it to place the file in my Documents folder, on the desktop, on my hard drive, in recently used places, and in several other folders, but I don't seem to be able to browse within Documents to pick the actual file location like I could in OS9.

Sure, you can. In the File>Save As... sheet, across from the file name in the Save As dialog, there is a little downward pointing triangle. Click on it to reveal a file browser. From there, you can navigate to any location for which you have legal access.

mws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
D'oh! <plus sound of my hand slapping on my forehead>

Thanks so much! I thought that triangle was some kind of navigation bar for file names. I should have realized what it was--there's a similar triangle in the Find and Replace dialog box that takes the place of "More" and "Less" from OS9. (It seems like these ought to be signposted better, especially for new users who haven't used earlier versions of Word or OS...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.