Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
I could be wrong, but I did not hear anything about Apple revising the Backlit Keyboard on their new MBPs that came out early June. Was this not made public for a reason or just small upgrade that needed no advertising? Or am I totally living on another planet and everyone knew about this? :p

I checked one out for the first time today and.... now, there is a light sensor(next to the cam) to automatically turn the Backlit Keyboard off during daylight when you don't need it - to save battery life.

...it makes sense, but personally I want the option to always have it off to save battery, no matter the conditions around.

I just found a reason to not want a 13" MBP over my uni MB ;)

New MBPs Users (June 09 or later) - is there customization with this new feature?

cheers,
CrackBookPro:cool:
p.s. ...this makes me enjoy my collector's edition ever more!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Always been there.

Same light sensor the screen uses to auto-dim if you have that option enabled.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
It was there in the October 2008 version of the MBP, and it was already present in the models before that (PowerBook).

It's a feature you can en/disable via System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard > Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions.
There are also the F5 and F6 keys to manually light the keyboard.

mac-os-x-keyboard-mouse-trackpad-controls.png

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
...wow, I'm an idiot :eek:

The apple consultant at best buy said that is a new feature in the MBP 13" they just got in the store today.

I feel stupid, but I feel even more stupid listening to the Apple consultant at Best Buy. Thought he would know better than me :rolleyes:

...my first guess, the guy was probably trying to sell me ....:mad:

don't ask which Best Buy I was at? ...I'm not getting anyone in trouble!

...administrator, sorry for the waste of server space.

p.s. Paula Dean is a lot cooler than this thread :p http://www.pauladeen.com/

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
The guy was 1/2 right.

It's now available on the low end MBP whereas the 2.0ghz UMB didn't offer the backlit keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.