PDA

View Full Version : Cats 'exploit' humans by purring

edesignuk
Jul 14, 2009, 02:03 AM
Cat owners may have suspected as much, but it seems our feline friends have found a way to manipulate us humans.

Researchers at the University of Sussex have discovered that cats use a "soliciting purr" to overpower their owners and garner attention and food.

Unlike regular purring, this sound incorporates a "cry", with a similar frequency to a human baby's.

The team said cats have "tapped into" a human bias - producing a sound that humans find very difficult to ignore. BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8147566.stm).

Cheeky little buggers! I love 'em though :o :)

anjinha
Jul 14, 2009, 02:34 AM
My cat does better: he meows, purrs and yawns at the same time. It's freakin' adorable! :o

Krafty
Jul 14, 2009, 02:35 AM
Really? Out of all the things, thats the best they can research?

sushi
Jul 14, 2009, 02:35 AM
I'm sorry, but the story is bunk.

People don't own cats. Rather cats own their people. :D

.Andy
Jul 14, 2009, 02:38 AM
Really? Out of all the things, thats the best they can research?
Knowledge appears flippant to all who can't see an application.

killerrobot
Jul 14, 2009, 02:38 AM
Funny how animals have a tendency to use us. I thought we were the more intelligent species.:eek:

I watched this today and this article reminded me of it

http://www.hulu.com/watch/82347/the-cleveland-show-cleveland-extended-trailer

Click forward to 3:03.

EDIT: For those who can't watch it on Hulu, try http://www.fox.com/cleveland/
click watch trailer preview, then skip again to 3:03

arkitect
Jul 14, 2009, 03:09 AM
Humm. I wish they had paid me — I would have given them years' worth of research. ;)

I know that "soliciting purr" too well. Especially around 5 in the morning (summer time) if the bedroom door isn't locked "properly".

Krafty
Jul 14, 2009, 03:10 AM
Knowledge appears flippant to all who can't see an application.

And if my anus had wheels, I'd be a mean wagon.

andalusia
Jul 14, 2009, 03:13 AM
This explains much...

conch575
Jul 14, 2009, 03:15 AM
Cats are scary. Especially when you're just about to fall asleep, then you hear one make a "reow" cat noise.

toolbox
Jul 14, 2009, 04:08 AM
Cats are scary. Especially when you're just about to fall asleep, then you hear one make a "reow" cat noise.

Yep my cat used to do that when i lived back home at my parents OR they jump on your bed and land on you

pb1300
Jul 14, 2009, 05:03 AM
My cats do that all the time. The little one, which weighs about 2 pounds, eats as much as she weighs, per day. As soon as I go in the house, she will come in and start purring and crying for food.

OT: Why do cats stick their butts up in the air when you scratch them there?

conch575
Jul 14, 2009, 05:03 AM
Yep my cat used to do that when i lived back home at my parents OR they jump on your bed and land on you

That is exactly why I am not a pet person. They scare me!

iBlue
Jul 14, 2009, 05:14 AM
OT: Why do cats stick their butts up in the air when you scratch them there?

Have you not ever been touched in such a way that it makes you squirm? I imagine that's what it is, kind of like being tickled but not as menacing. At least this is what I make of it. My cat translator is still in the works.

Puuuurrrrrrrrrrr

BoyBach
Jul 14, 2009, 06:40 AM
I'm sorry, but the story is bunk.

People don't own cats. Rather cats own their people. :D

Exactly! Dogs have owners. Cats have slaves.

Abstract
Jul 14, 2009, 08:24 AM
It's funny, because cats also 'meow' towards humans. Cats don't make that noise towards any other animal.

Vogue Harper
Jul 14, 2009, 08:24 AM
I listened to that and have to say that for something that had to be 'researched' by a bunch of academics it all strikes me as being slightly obvious. High pitched, urgent meow, cat wants something? Their research has nothing on lolcats as a work on feline behaviour :D

anjinha
Jul 14, 2009, 08:25 AM
*hugs cat* :o

iGary
Jul 14, 2009, 08:30 AM
I loves me some kittehs.

iShater
Jul 14, 2009, 08:33 AM
Before breakfast my cat purrs like crazy. He has been very close and attentive.

After breakfast, he gives the "do I know you?" look. :p

It was an interesting article when I read it, and I wanted to listen closer to his purr. However, I was running kinda late this morning and just gave him chow before he even got close to me.

sushi
Jul 14, 2009, 08:38 AM
Dogs have owners. Cats have slaves.
Ah, much better stated. :)

After breakfast, he gives the "do I know you?" look. :p
Snort. That look is golden especially when given from above as they bask on a piece of tall furniture.

iShater
Jul 14, 2009, 08:42 AM
Snort. That look is golden especially when given from above as they bask on a piece of tall furniture.

I had a cat once that never gave the look and gave those nose taps on demand. She was the bestest cat evaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :o

Unspoken Demise
Jul 14, 2009, 08:43 AM
Manipulative little s***!
Whatever. He's cute. Its not like I need to be manipulated to give him luvz.

mscriv
Jul 14, 2009, 08:53 AM
It's truly hard to beat a purring cat in terms of persuasiveness and affection. It just gets ya right there, deep down. :)

Melrose
Jul 14, 2009, 10:50 AM
I've got a kitten on my lap right now and she's purring, also nipping at my fingers. She really is Teh Cuteness.

I would imagine cats are pretty conniving.

sushi
Jul 14, 2009, 10:53 AM
A friend of mine had a cat that would fetch just like a dog. Funny as hell to watch.

And when she wanted to fetch, she would bring whatever toy she wanted you to throw and put it in your hands. However, she would not fetch on your command. Only when she wanted to.

it5five
Jul 14, 2009, 02:18 PM
A friend of mine had a cat that would fetch just like a dog. Funny as hell to watch.

And when she wanted to fetch, she would bring whatever toy she wanted you to throw and put it in your hands. However, she would not fetch on your command. Only when she wanted to.

One of my cats does this exact same thing. He wants to play fetch with me when I'm doing work or getting ready to go out, but he never wants to play fetch when any of my friends are over and I'm trying to show them that he plays fetch.

My other cat is the exploitative one. Every morning around 6, she jumps on me and starts her cry/meow thing until I get up and feed her. The longer I stay in bed, the more she does to annoy me.

Melrose
Jul 14, 2009, 06:49 PM

I had a cat that used to do that as well. He didn't play like cats typically do, batting things around or chasing whatever, he'd bring his tinkle to me, I'd throw it, he'd bring it back, etc etc. He loved fetching. Sparky, his name was.

dmr727
Jul 14, 2009, 08:41 PM
This is why I don't have a cat. There's already one person in my household that's perfectly adept at manipulating me - I don't need another. :p

danpass
Jul 14, 2009, 08:44 PM
http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v2/p145835317.bmp

LizKat
Jul 14, 2009, 08:58 PM
^^^^ I love it. I once had a cat who would spend hours trying to fit into an empty pretzel box. :D Hours!

sushi
Jul 15, 2009, 07:32 PM
This is why I don't have a cat. There's already one person in my household that's perfectly adept at manipulating me - I don't need another. :p
Snort!

My wife has it down to a demure silent art. So funny.

^^^^ I love it. I once had a cat who would spend hours trying to fit into an empty pretzel box. :D Hours!
This one cracks me up each time that I watch it.

Cat in a jar. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jefDcis9GFE)

cocky jeremy
Jul 15, 2009, 10:49 PM
I ****ing hate cats. Annoying little bastards and their smelly piss. :rolleyes:

sushi
Jul 16, 2009, 10:30 AM
I ****ing hate cats. Annoying little bastards and their smelly piss. :rolleyes:
Gee. Tell us how you really feel. :p

steve2112
Jul 16, 2009, 11:45 AM
When I was a kid, we had a cat who was a master at exploitation. This cat basically used all 9 of his lives at some point. He got run over, set on fire (he was chasing fireworks and caught a jumping jack that went off under him), and more. Worst of all, he got shot with a .22 in his shoulder. The vet told us he probably used a couple of his lives that day, but he survived.

Anyway, he limped around for a while after we brought him home from that injury. He eventually got better, and was back to walking normally. Anyway, when he wanted attention after that, he would start limping around. He especially liked doing this when new people were visiting.

Antares
Jul 16, 2009, 12:20 PM
My cat used to that very well. He had different meows for different things....and I couldn't resist him. If I tried ingnoring him, he would start batting me with his paws. He would make his meows sound so sad that you just had to do what he wants....he'd make you feel bad for him with those meows. And I really miss that now.

patrick0brien
Jul 16, 2009, 12:52 PM
I haven't fed my cat in years, I have a machine do that. So it's interesting to see how she manipulates me with food taken out of the equation. Now she does the soliciting purr if I don't latch the bathroom door well enough and she invades while I'm doing my 'business'.

Incessantly with plaintive glances. And maybe a kittycrash.