Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that iPhone and iPod touch users have downloaded over 1.5 billion applications in the App Store's first year of operation. There are currently over 65,000 applications available in the store.
Apple today announced that customers have downloaded more than 1.5 billion applications in just one year from its revolutionary App Store, the largest applications store in the world. The App Store is also growing at an incredible pace with more than 65,000 apps and more than 100,000 developers in the iPhone™ Developer Program.

"The App Store is like nothing the industry has ever seen before in both scale and quality," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "With 1.5 billion apps downloaded, it is going to be very hard for others to catch up."
Apple also notes that it has sold over 40 million iPhones and iPod touches capable of running App Store applications.

The App Store surpassed one billion downloads less than three months ago. Today's announcement suggests that the 500 million downloads since that time occurred two weeks faster than the previous 500 million, demonstrating continued acceleration in the download rate.

093012-app_store_growth_500.png

Article Link: Apple Announces First-Year App Store Success: 1.5 Billion Downloads, 65,000 Apps

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Thats amazing.

It looks like most people are downloading a lot of apps too, an average of 37.5 per device.

Keep up the good work Apple, its one of my favourite recent developments.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
I wonder if this will be the future of Mac Apps in general? It'd be a bit like a commercial Apt or Yum repository, I suppose. At the very least, it'd be nice because you'd get all of your updates from Apple through one Software Update application.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
That is a lot of apps and a lot of downloads

No wonder I can never find anything in the App Store

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Microsoft and PC vendors offer plenty of choice of programs and hardware at low prices and are accused of being cheap and useless. Apple offers lots of little apps at low prices and its a cause for celebration.

mygoldens

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2005
fart apps

Who cares! All they have in the app store is the fart apps!

Apple, get with it, there are people that work for a living and would like something besides a fart app or a game!

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Kind of puts the Verizon, Palm, and other vendor "app store" competition in perspective, doesn't it? :cool:

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
oh? i think plenty of people know oh jail-breaking and are plenty capable of looking it up if they wanted to. They just choose not to... people like me.

gomatt

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
makes you think.... why doesn't apple do this with OS X? Have an OS X App Store, easy to install, download, and manage apps. I find the music store, and app store, make it so easy, sometimes i pay $.99 rather than trying to get it for free...

W1LLk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
San Antonio
Numbers wouldnt be so high if morer ppl knew of a jailbreak...

There are several things keeping this from reality. First of all, many people who carry an iPhone aren't tech savvy enough to even update the phone themselves. If I don't update my family's phones, it doesn't get done. Same thing with a few of my friends who have no idea what firmware they are using and NEVER sync to their computer. I have to essentially sell the software update to people and then tell them how to do it. Which brings me to my second point, the iphone is designed for ease of use, and even some users don't even know the capabilities of their own phone unless they are shown. So why complicate things with a jailbreak, making updates for them a bigger hassle, and confusing the issue of getting new apps, as it would be no longer the same process as their peers.

While jailbreaking is "cool" for some people, it's definately not for everyone.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'd be more interested to know out of that 1.5 Billion how many are still residing on a device and not in the Trash.

I think that question misses the point. I've deleted many more apps than I've kept - so what? I think that just shows how easy it is to find and try apps. I've installed maybe 3 apps on my blackberry and deleted two of them. I don't even look for more because it's such a hassle to find them and then anther hassle to delete them (restart the device). I don't need to keep every app for the app store to be worthwhile. What they've created is a process by which you can easily find and try many many apps and keep however many you like.

Who cares! All they have in the app store is the fart apps!

Apple, get with it, there are people that work for a living and would like something besides a fart app or a game!

The worst thing they ever did in the app store was allow fart apps. Not so much because they're dumb (which they are) but because they've created the wrong kind of perception about the app store, hurting the brand as a whole. The reality is that there are probably a couple dozen fart apps out of 65,000 total apps, not even a tiny blip on the radar. As for games, I recently heard they were about 18% of the total app catalog. So let's pretend fart apps are 1% (not even remotely close, but whatever) and games are 20%. That leaves 51,350 other apps to choose from. Not enough for you?

Personally, I find the sheer number of choices to be the hardest thing at this point. The "staff picks," "what's hot," and top 50 lists are good, but I'd like to see even more refined ways of sorting through what's out there.

65,000 apps ... about 30 that are truly useful.

Maybe 30 that are useful per person. Not the same 30 for every person.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
I think that question misses the point. I've deleted many more apps than I've kept - so what? I think that just shows how easy it is to find and try apps. I've installed maybe 3 apps on my blackberry and deleted two of them. I don't even look for more because it's such a hassle to find them and then anther hassle to delete them (restart the device). I don't need to keep every app for the app store to be worthwhile. What they've created is a process by which you can easily find and try many many apps and keep however many you like.

The worst thing they ever did in the app store was allow fart apps. Not so much because they're dumb (which they are) but because they've created the wrong kind of perception about the app store, hurting the brand as a whole. The reality is that there are probably a couple dozen fart apps out of 65,000 total apps, not even a tiny blip on the radar. As for games, I recently heard they were about 18% of the total app catalog. So let's pretend fart apps are 1% (not even remotely close, but whatever) and games are 20%. That leaves 51,350 other apps to choose from. Not enough for you?

Personally, I find the sheer number of choices to be the hardest thing at this point. The "staff picks," "what's hot," and top 50 lists are good, but I'd like to see even more refined ways of sorting through what's out there.

The funny thing is when Apple originally rejected the first fart app, people were mad, they allow them, and now all people do is complain about them.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House

True.

I find it impossible on the phone and difficult through iTunes to find apps I may potentially use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.