PDA

View Full Version : Windows 95 Running on iPhone

MacRumors
Jul 14, 2009, 09:38 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/14/windows-95-running-on-iphone/)

Russian site GooDiPhone demonstrates (http://goodiphone.com/2009/07/windows-95-on-iphone/) Windows 95 running on an iPhone via an emulator. While the performance is terrible, it does function as a proof-of-concept, and they note that performance would be improved if they had had access to an iPhone 3GS for testing.

Article Link: Windows 95 Running on iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/14/windows-95-running-on-iphone/)

edesignuk
Jul 14, 2009, 09:40 AM
Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/13/iphone-becomes-the-worst-parallels-installation-youve-ever-seen/) noted this too, they also noted it had been done on an N95 (http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/03/05/windows-3-1-on-s60-dude-says-why-stop-there-ups-the-ante-with/) before.

QCassidy352
Jul 14, 2009, 09:47 AM
oh the humanity!!

alexbates
Jul 14, 2009, 09:50 AM
Nice, I would love to get a copy of that... Cydia maybe? Or even better: the Simulator build which obviously runs better.

sushi
Jul 14, 2009, 09:52 AM
Personally, I would prefer DOS. :p

Actually, pretty cool being able to run Windows 95. :)

lilmul123
Jul 14, 2009, 09:55 AM
This isn't really that impressive... The iPhone simulator basically runs a copy of iPhone OS built for Intel processors. The real question is... would it actually even RUN on the iPhone? It has to emulate the Intel architecture on the iPhone's ARM CPU whereas it's running natively on the simulator.

zaphoyd
Jul 14, 2009, 09:58 AM
This isn't really that impressive... The iPhone simulator basically runs a copy of iPhone OS built for Intel processors. The real question is... would it actually even RUN on the iPhone? It has to emulate the Intel architecture on the iPhone's ARM CPU whereas it's running natively on the simulator.

THe video shows it running on an actual iPhone as well as the simulator. Unsurprisingly, it appears to run quite a bit faster on the simulator. Is there no way for Apple to make the simulator "simulate" the speed of the various iphone models to help developers cross test applications without physically having every single possible iPhone configuration?

nagromme
Jul 14, 2009, 10:07 AM
That's cool in a weird way, but Jaadu already lets me do that, on an unmodified iPhone--and with good performance! I just operate my iMac remotely via the iPhone, and launch VMWare. (Interface is sluggish unless I'm on my home WiFi--very sluggish on Edge--but things load and process very quickly regardless.)

brasscat
Jul 14, 2009, 10:07 AM
Finally! I'm going to figure out how to use Windows 95 instead of the overly flashy iPhone OSX from now on. AND I can use ActiveSync instead of overly featurefull iTunes, to sync contacts too!

blybug
Jul 14, 2009, 10:12 AM
That's cool in a weird way, but Jaadu already lets me do that, on an unmodified iPhone--and with good performance! I just operate my iMac remotely via the iPhone, and launch VMWare. (Interface is sluggish unless I'm on my home WiFi--very sluggish on Edge--but things load and process very quickly regardless.)

It is cool in a weird way, but watching this "demo" doesn't really convince me that this couldn't just be a movie of slow Win95 playing on the iPhone while the "scrolling" finger plays along with the pre-recorded action.

But right, aside from the gee-whizziness of it if it's real, not very practical. Several VNC clients as well as the excellent just-released Citrix client for iPhone allow for a very real Windows experience as long as a decent connection is available.

Wish Apple would add Back-to-My-Mac to the iPhone...

omahajim
Jul 14, 2009, 10:25 AM
removed

mygoldens
Jul 14, 2009, 11:01 AM
Who cares?:confused:

3goldens
Jul 14, 2009, 11:03 AM
I'm wondering the same thing, who cares about an operating system that is obsolete and no longer used for the ,most part?

I think some of these guys have way too much time on their hands!

-aggie-
Jul 14, 2009, 11:05 AM
So, what concept is it proving? I could put a lawnmower engine in my jeep, but why would I want to? Why would someone want to run Windows 95 on an iPhone? To prove that Windows XP could? Heresy!

psonice
Jul 14, 2009, 11:12 AM
Looks real enough. Just watch when he tries to open a folder on the real iphone - it takes a long time even to highlight the icon!

The simulator version looks just about usable, but bare in mind that the version compiled for the simulator actually runs natively on the mac. That makes it MUCH faster than the real thing (which is one thing I really hate about the simulator!) For comparison, the last app I wrote initially had a launch time of a couple of seconds on the simulator. On actual hardware, it was 43 seconds, so you're looking at 10-20x faster perhaps, depending on the mac's CPU. (Note that this launch time figure was before optimising - it now loads in a couple of seconds on the phone too ;)

psonice
Jul 14, 2009, 11:20 AM
So, what concept is it proving? I could put a lawnmower engine in my jeep, but why would I want to? Why would someone want to run Windows 95 on an iPhone? To prove that Windows XP could? Heresy!

Nobody is suggesting that they replace the iPhone OS with windows (which would be just as insane as putting that lawnmower engine in your jeep). The idea is that if there's some long-lost game or application that ran on win95 that you'd really love to see again, you can fire up the win95 app and load it whenever you want.

Personally, I really doubt that the iphone has enough power to do anything useful with win95, but I guess by the time they've got everything working right and as fast as possible we might have a much faster iphone? I wish apple would allow emulators on the app store though, there's a huge amount of classic games out there that would run brilliantly on an iphone!

Cubert
Jul 14, 2009, 11:34 AM
Anyone puke watching the video yet? I almost did.

mrboult
Jul 14, 2009, 11:40 AM
(laughing) . . . I can hardly think of anything I'd like less than Win95 on my iPhone.

It made me miserable back in '95 and was the last version of windows I ever used at home before switching to OS9 and Mac. Seeing it again actually made me feel a little sick.

bug67
Jul 14, 2009, 11:51 AM
Eew, yuk! Why? :confused:

Gyrferret
Jul 14, 2009, 11:51 AM
To everyone above (is it me, or did all the negative responses flood in after just ONE GUY said something bad)....

BECAUSE YOU ********* CAN! Are you gonna come and say that putting Windows via Boot Camp on a Mac is a sin?

Macmaniac
Jul 14, 2009, 11:53 AM
Can it play Win 95 games? And will it Blend?

bibhnarp
Jul 14, 2009, 12:18 PM
i started watching it

but then the music kicked in and my chair began to bleed.

I like my chair.

ChrisA
Jul 14, 2009, 12:50 PM

Running W95 is a test of the emulator and not and end in of itself. No one wants Windows 95 on the iPhone but the ability to run anything on the iPhone that you could run on a PC would be nice.

What they are testing is a general purpose abilty to run "PC Stuff" on the iPhone. Windows 95 is just the test case.

ucfgrad93
Jul 14, 2009, 12:55 PM
Why in the world would you want to do this?

macduke
Jul 14, 2009, 01:14 PM

Yikes. Someone has a short attention span. Watch more than just the first minute of the video.

andrewhudson45
Jul 14, 2009, 01:18 PM
Nice sharing...and nice to meet you because I am newbie here...

EmperorDarius
Jul 14, 2009, 01:31 PM
Oh, what, they want to ruin the iPhone too now?

plinkoman
Jul 14, 2009, 01:59 PM
...While the performance is terrible...

so what your saying is that it is a perfect and realistic implementation of Windows 95? :D

munkees
Jul 14, 2009, 02:14 PM
I would love a dos 6.2 app that runs syndicate plus.

iphones4evry1
Jul 14, 2009, 02:25 PM
If I recall correctly, Apple said the 3GS uses a 600MHz processor (yes, I know this video only uses a 3G). Do you remember what processor you had back in 1995 (Win95) ? I think I had a 386Mhz back then. Remember the "386" ? :D

So, in that context, this makes sense. The only variable still though, is likely the amount of RAM, which is probably why the Youtube video shows the phone running so slowly.

Drag'nGT
Jul 14, 2009, 02:45 PM

It's a torture device.

lixuelai
Jul 14, 2009, 03:21 PM
If I recall correctly, Apple said the 3GS uses a 600MHz processor (yes, I know this video only uses a 3G). Do you remember what processor you had back in 1995 (Win95) ? I think I had a 386Mhz back then. Remember the "386" ? :D

So, in that context, this makes sense. The only variable still though, is likely the amount of RAM, which is probably why the Youtube video shows the phone running so slowly.

Lol the 386 does not mean 386MHz. The fastest 386 ever was like 1/10th that clockspeed.

Anyway if this runs well enough and can install Win95 games Im all for it.

payup
Jul 14, 2009, 03:55 PM
1) this is cool, just as cool as running nintendo emulators
2) windows 95 was a very good os at the time, and was more advanced than macos - stop saying that you almost puked...
3) i want to see winXP run on iphone

Bad Paper
Jul 14, 2009, 04:15 PM
I think I had a 386Mhz back then. Remember the "386" ?LOL you overclocked your chips hard!

Unemployment must be really bad if people have time to do crap like this.

I will not be satisfied until I see an iPhone running OS/2.

iAlexG
Jul 14, 2009, 04:54 PM
win 2000 would be nice

daracne
Jul 14, 2009, 05:10 PM
Would be classic to see a picture of the BSoD death on the iPhone. For me, at least, its the memory that sticks out most about the windows 9x line =).

wackymacky
Jul 14, 2009, 05:58 PM
Umm. the only utility I can see for this is toplay a prank on someone by replacing the iPhone OS with windows.

If i recall right windows 95 didn't support either USB or UMDA so is it posiable for the phone to comunicate with a external device while running it?

Porco
Jul 14, 2009, 06:17 PM
I want an Amiga on my iPod Touch. It's all Pinball Dreams' fault.

nick9191
Jul 14, 2009, 06:20 PM
Must be the emulator slowing it down. The iPhone and iPhone 3G are ample specs to run Windows 95 and 98. You'd want a 3GS for 2k and XP though.

FoxyKaye
Jul 14, 2009, 06:34 PM
I would totally want Windows 95 running on my iPhone or iPod Touch, but only if it came with the exact same techno soundtrack as the YouTube video. Otherwise, it's just not worth it to me.

Now if the App Store started replacing the myriad of fart applications with Sega and Ninendo emulators on which I could play the original Sonic and Super Mario, that would be an accomplishment.

SkyBell
Jul 14, 2009, 06:42 PM
This could actually be semi-useful if they could get Windows 98 to run at a decent speed. (At least it's a half usable OS, unlike 95 which has near no use today.)

NinjaHERO
Jul 14, 2009, 07:42 PM
That's awesome. I wouldn't want to run windows, but I love that someone tested it out anyway.

strike1555
Jul 14, 2009, 08:18 PM
It would be great if they could get DOS working at a reasonable speed. So many great classic games.

Can't you read? Potential uses have been explained no less than six times.

Airforcekid
Jul 14, 2009, 08:19 PM
I want tiger! Next gen I want leopard!

Redline13
Jul 14, 2009, 08:25 PM
If I traveled back in time to 1995 and told people that in 2009 Apple makes a phone that runs Windows 95 they would lock me up in the loony bin. Some times the truth really is stranger then fiction.

eyefoniac
Jul 14, 2009, 09:02 PM
*smacks forehead*

bli625
Jul 14, 2009, 09:26 PM

If watching that video makes you puke.. I seriously suggest you consult a doctor because that is definitely not normal.

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with the video. It's pretty cool seeing Windows on the iPhone.

bloodycape
Jul 14, 2009, 10:38 PM
Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/13/iphone-becomes-the-worst-parallels-installation-youve-ever-seen/) noted this too, they also noted it had been done on an N95 (http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/03/05/windows-3-1-on-s60-dude-says-why-stop-there-ups-the-ante-with/) before.

XP has also been done on many devices running windows mobile, also via an emulator.

GoodWatch
Jul 15, 2009, 01:04 AM

Why? Because it has anything to do with MS? That must be it :p

bronksy
Jul 15, 2009, 03:27 AM
..of sick just came into my mouth.

koobcamuk
Jul 15, 2009, 04:31 AM
Anyone else see the irony?

alFR
Jul 15, 2009, 06:17 AM
Good luck with that, since the SDK agreement states:

"an Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means."

= app denied. This will only ever be available on jailbroken phones.

G58
Jul 15, 2009, 08:17 AM
Why?

Michael CM1
Jul 15, 2009, 08:59 AM
Um, why did the Rooskies skip Windows 3.1?

This kind of stuff has got to be the biggest waste of time EVER. Spending a bunch of time emulating a 14-year-old OS that didn't support USB or WiFi on a mobile device. WOW. I mean I could probably make my car run on wind power with a huge-ass sail, but I'd rather use technology developed within my lifetime.

::facepalm::

showson1
Jul 15, 2009, 09:18 AM
Wow cool.. an antiquated OS running in an aging OS.

I'm inspired.. think I'll load up a commodore emulator on Windows XP. haha

nickane
Jul 15, 2009, 10:11 AM
I can see the t-shirts now:

iPhone OS 09 = Windows 95...

I'm with the pointless camp.

eliteneo
Jul 15, 2009, 04:06 PM
wow windows fail

headfuzz
Jul 16, 2009, 02:49 AM
The next question is "Why?!" :confused:

rosetaylor01
Jul 16, 2009, 02:55 AM
It's probably just the horrible background music and the schizo camera work that makes Doug Liman's look like butter, but this video of Windows 95 running on an iPhone by the iSoft team makes my tummy turn.

The hack makes use of a standard Windows 95 image and the Bochs emulator, though as you can expect, the performance is thoroughly crummy. They're working on getting Windows XP to work too. An abomination,

helmsc
Jul 16, 2009, 11:57 AM
I'd rather have DOS 1.00, just for the heck of it :cool:

shen
Jul 16, 2009, 05:08 PM
wow, that was like I imagine it would be to watch your mortal enemy rape your wife. Thanks for that.

...I am now going to go puke.

gkarris
Jul 16, 2009, 08:15 PM
Okay...

So, where's the BlackBerry or Windows Mobile emulator... :eek:

:rolleyes:

Tailpike1153
Jul 17, 2009, 08:48 AM
Call the newspapers! It's the first virus for the iPhone!!

Bubba Satori
Jul 18, 2009, 10:04 AM

Uh, read the post above yours. :rolleyes:

onfire4g05
Jul 18, 2009, 04:17 PM
does this mean we'll finally be able to run flash on our iPhones/iPods?? :D

I kid, of course. :) Either way, it's an interesting concept, though it's not really useful.

gsfgf
Jul 18, 2009, 04:34 PM
2) windows 95 was a very good os at the time, and was more advanced than macos - stop saying that you almost puked...

I assume he was referring to the default "vomit green" desktop color.

Hrududu
Jul 18, 2009, 05:55 PM
1) this is cool, just as cool as running nintendo emulators
3) i want to see winXP run on iphone
No way in hell Windows 95 was better than Mac OS 7.5. There was no comparison.

mr.steevo
Jul 18, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hi,

MS did have a great ad for Windows 95.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VPFKnBYOSI

I preferred Windows 3.1 over 95 as it never crashed on me.

s.

tempusfugit
Jul 18, 2009, 09:44 PM
Good luck with that, since the SDK agreement states:

"an Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means."

= app denied. This will only ever be available on jailbroken phones.

I don't think the point of this was to sell windows 95 to people....

Maybe the 3gs could boot Millenium Edition

NathanA
Jul 20, 2009, 07:29 PM

Off topic, I suppose, and possibly troll bait, but I'll bite:

Please brush up on your history. Windows 95 was better than MacOS from a technical/architectural point of view. It had both preemptive multitasking and memory protection, neither of which saw the light of day on a Mac until OS X (and which were features that existed in PC operating systems even predating Win95, such as OS/2 and NT in 1992 and 1993 respectively, and various PC ports of UNIX that also existed at the time). True, DOS still lurked underneath somewhere, but it was mostly used to bootstrap the actual Win95 kernel.

Don't get me wrong: I'm no Microsoft lover and I have grown extremely fond of OS X. But before the advent of OS X, you couldn't have paid me enough money to use a Mac. (Well, okay...maybe there is some hyperbole in that sentence.)

Then OS X came along with all of its Mach/BSD goodness and NeXTSTEP heritage, and I was sold. :)

Now back to your regularly-scheduled programming,

-- Nathan

yamabushi
Jul 21, 2009, 06:42 AM
I'd love to see system 7.5 running on an iPhone.

Xcelerate
Jul 26, 2009, 09:14 PM
Why does everyone keep saying Windows 95 is bad, or was only good for the time? I remember using it when I was little. I could play Putt Putt Fatty Bear, make spreadsheets, create invitations, and learn about programming. In fact, I can STILL do all those things with it (well, except the little kid game...). It is merely a tool, and it still performs well. I don't understand this thing where technology becomes bad simply because something new comes out. I'm sure everyone will be saying the current version of Mac OS and Windows is horrible in 10 years, but they fulfill their purposes, right??

nelmat
Jul 27, 2009, 08:25 AM
Finally! I'm going to figure out how to use Windows 95 instead of the overly flashy iPhone OSX from now on. AND I can use ActiveSync instead of overly featurefull iTunes, to sync contacts too!

Overly flashy? Overly feautureful?

How can something be too good/flashy?

And as far as iTunes functionality - just keep it simple - just because a feature exists, you don't have to use it. Creating playlists and syncing couldn't be any easier.

alent1234
Jul 27, 2009, 08:45 AM

i remember helping someone with their Mac around that time. i burst out laughing when they had to assign memory manually to apps and operating system

yellow
Jul 27, 2009, 08:47 AM
Well, check this out.. I can run Redhat on a piece of soap.
But why would I? :)