Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danwms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Hi there, can anyone recommend a good weather application for use in the UK?

It does not need to be push enabled, I just want it to use an accurate data source for the UK. I have used the weather channel and accu weather and can't help think that they have been developed for the US and so their UK weather feed does not seem to be that accurate.

The met office and the BBC weather tend to be the most accurate for the UK but i can not seem to find an application that use these as sources.

Any suggestions?

danwms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
I think i downloaded that but can't remember what it is slight.

in an ideal world it would have a nice interface and accurate reporting but for the time being im willing to settle for the accurate reporting.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I find the built-in weather app is incredibly pessimistic. Usually showing rain for the next days and then changing its mind on the actual day.

It's pretty good at telling me what the weather's like now, but not great apart from that!

If someone could write a front-end for the Flash-heavy BBC/Met Office weather, I'd be very happy...

danwms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
I find the built-in weather app is incredibly pessimistic. Usually showing rain for the next days and then changing its mind on the actual day.

It's pretty good at telling me what the weather's like now, but not great apart from that!

If someone could write a front-end for the Flash-heavy BBC/Met Office weather, I'd be very happy...

Totally agree regarding the BBC front end.

Telling you what the weather is like now is a bit pointless, thats one of the things i use a window for :D

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I've been using Weather Pro for a few weeks now.

It gives you a good breakdown of weather throughout the day (7 intervals per day) and supports auto location.

It also has animated satellite/weather radar displays so you can make your own mind up.

You can also dig deeper into recent trends in temperature/humidity etc.

It's worth the small expense in my opinion. The standard weather app is ludicrously low featured in comparison.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Another WeatherPro user. I like the fact that it uses the iPhones GPS to locate you, has moving radar and sat images and gives a good forecast.

allonym

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
WeatherPro is a quality app IMO. Packed with info including nice satellite and radar animated maps. Way better than anything else I've tried. Highly recommended.

Marky

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
Yeah another vote here for WeatherPro.
Gone through a couple of different weather apps and this has a well designed graphical interface and it seems to get the forecast right - at least very accurate where I am in and around South Wales and the South West.:)

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Have you tried using i.wund.com? It's been reliable for me (and it's free!), and formatted for the iPhone Safari interface.

Or, if you need more detail, use wunderground.com, and choose the subscription option to get rid of ads. I've been using it for several years and it's very nice IMHO.

The one thing that is also useful here across the pond (and it seems to be very similar for the UK forecasts) on wunderground.com, is that the radar is hardly ever more than 10 minutes behind (most of the time it's 5 min or less for our area). Add in that you can see many independent weather stations that people hook up to the net....and I can almost predict to the minute when it will rain at our house...

HTH.

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
I like Fizz Weather, it also supports satellite imagery and auto location.

The level of detail in WeatherPro does look good.

tungstentim

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
weather pro +1

very, very accurate. been using it since it came out. The apple one needs to be thrown away.

Tim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.