PDA

View Full Version : Airport express and airport extreme

johng723
Jun 7, 2004, 07:18 PM
If you can use both airport express and airport extreme as a basestation, then why would people buy airport extreme anymore if express is like $70 cheaper. There has to be some sort of differene between the two i.e. range. Also, I was thinking of getting either or. Is airport extreme really any better than the linksys or d-link models? Or is it just priced up because of its looks and it's made by Apple.

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 7, 2004, 07:34 PM
IMHO the main difference is that Express only supports 10 computers, whereas Extreme supports 50. For home use Express is the way to go, for corporate office use, Extreme is for them.

janey
Jun 7, 2004, 07:34 PM
If you can use both airport express and airport extreme as a basestation, then why would people buy airport extreme anymore if express is like $70 cheaper. There has to be some sort of differene between the two i.e. range. Also, I was thinking of getting either or. Is airport extreme really any better than the linksys or d-link models? Or is it just priced up because of its looks and it's made by Apple.
gosh darn it.
airport express doesnt have half the stuff the extreme one does when it comes to features. and probably range. but mostly the features, to give you a clue, just look at the bottom of the express thing, and the back of the extreme base station.
plus, if you dont care about most things, get a cheapo 802.11g wifi router from linksys or something. if there's some real itching urge to get one from apple, then do whatever you want. dont get one or the other based on looks or cost. its about the features :p

winwintoo
Jun 7, 2004, 08:08 PM
Airport Extreme Base Station:

one ethernet out port
one printer sharing port
range 150 feet

Airport Express:

NO ethernet out port
NO printer sharing port
range 50 feet

m

davecuse
Jun 7, 2004, 08:14 PM

one ethernet out port
one printer sharing port
range 150 feet

Airport Express:

NO ethernet out port
NO printer sharing port
range 50 feet

m

That's blatantly wrong, there is clearly a Printer Sharing Port on the Airport Express, and I believe that the range is slightly better than 50 ft

aswitcher
Jun 7, 2004, 08:15 PM

one ethernet out port
one printer sharing port
range 150 feet

Airport Express:

NO ethernet out port
NO printer sharing port
range 50 feet

m

AExp is perfect for most homeusers

JOD8FY
Jun 7, 2004, 09:32 PM

one ethernet out port
one printer sharing port
range 150 feet

Airport Express:

NO ethernet out port
NO printer sharing port
range 50 feet

m

I read that Express has a range of 150 ft also. Go to Apple and look at the tech specs ;)

:rolleyes:

JOD8FY

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 7, 2004, 09:38 PM
50-foot range from the base station in typical use at 54 Mbps data rate (range depends on building construction) (1)

150-foot range from the base station in typical use at 11 Mbps data rate (range depends on building construction)

That is from the apple website from the techspecs, you guys are both correct.

Amani
Jun 7, 2004, 11:12 PM
I can't wait to get my hands on Express, but the July edition of MacWorld has reviews and references to a few other third party routers. Doesn't seem like they'll compete with Express--both in style and price. HomePod is the one that gets reviewed.http://macsense.com/

abhishekit
Jun 7, 2004, 11:50 PM
its f**kin great, the airtunes function!!! and only for 129!!!
i got a ****ty netgear 802.11b for 80 bucks.. :rolleyes:

cheers

ronald
Jun 8, 2004, 03:33 AM
just a recap for me to base my decision on; if i'm a user who simply wants to connect a PB wireless to the internet and who wants to make a wireless connection with only one printer the airport express is the way to go? I'm using a normal broadband internet connection.

Are there any other differences? And by the way, with the airport express, would it be possible to use it as a wireless connection between your PB and eventually your tv so you can watch movies and/of clips from your PB? I mean, if you have your stereo connected to the tv and you have your stereo connected to your PB (wireless) woudl it be possible to also send moviefiles to your stereo and then tv instead of just musicfiles? Recap: send movie from PB to airport express, from aiport express to the stereo en then from stereo to tv? Or am i very much so wrong? I probably want a little bit too much huh! :D

winwintoo
Jun 8, 2004, 06:19 AM
just a recap for me to base my decision on; if i'm a user who simply wants to connect a PB wireless to the internet and who wants to make a wireless connection with only one printer the airport express is the way to go? I'm using a normal broadband internet connection.
:D

The Express doesn't look like it has the printer port on it. The Extreme is the one with the printer port.

M

ftaok
Jun 8, 2004, 06:25 AM
The Express doesn't look like it has the printer port on it. The Extreme is the one with the printer port.

MThey both have a USB port for a printer.

winwintoo
Jun 8, 2004, 06:34 AM
They both have a USB port for a printer.

Sorry about that. I thought I read that in the specs yesterday.

It's looking better and better!!

m

Abstract
Jun 8, 2004, 06:52 AM
Geez, guys, all the features are clearly on the Specs page at the Apple website.

And yes, if you want wireless at home, you get Airport Express. Unless you have 49 brothers and sisters, you don't need 50 connected users on one wireless station. Business may need it, though.

Anyway, Airport Extreme is a wireless router, while the Airport Express isn't necessarily a router, although more than one person can connect to the internet using it. It may not assign each user of Airport Express their own IP. I believe a router is treated like a single computer connected to the internet would be treated --- it's given an IP. If the router is given an IP, then all the computers on it are given similar IPs, but slightly different so that each computer using the router is known. However, I don't think that's what happens with Airport Express.

I don't know much about networking and stuff, so I hope that someone can clarify and tell me if what I said makes a lick of sense. ;)

stoid
Jun 8, 2004, 07:33 AM
This device is utterly freaking perfect for my apartment! I can't wait to get my hands on one!

1macker1
Jun 8, 2004, 09:48 AM
Amen! 150ft for a wireless connection and Airtunes is idea for an apartment. Cant wait til i move to my new apt.
This device is utterly freaking perfect for my apartment! I can't wait to get my hands on one!

mactastic
Jun 8, 2004, 11:33 AM
People with wireless cards already in their computers will be happy with this device for their home networks. If you have to pay $129 for the AE PLUS you have to buy wireless cards for all your computers then it might be better to pay the $199 for the AEBS and have the ability to create a wired network and a wireless network with the same piece of hardwear. Also I would expect the range to be better on the AEBS, but we won't know that for sure until some of us get our hands on an AE.

Here's my question though... Will the AE work just as nicely if I plug it into one of the ports on a 4 port Lynksis? IOW, can it function as a wireless gateway on a pre-existing network also, or does it need to be the router?

legion
Jun 8, 2004, 12:14 PM
Geez, guys, all the features are clearly on the Specs page at the Apple website.

And yes, if you want wireless at home, you get Airport Express. Unless you have 49 brothers and sisters, you don't need 50 connected users on one wireless station. Business may need it, though.

Anyway, Airport Extreme is a wireless router, while the Airport Express isn't necessarily a router, although more than one person can connect to the internet using it. It may not assign each user of Airport Express their own IP. I believe a router is treated like a single computer connected to the internet would be treated --- it's given an IP. If the router is given an IP, then all the computers on it are given similar IPs, but slightly different so that each computer using the router is known. However, I don't think that's what happens with Airport Express.

I don't know much about networking and stuff, so I hope that someone can clarify and tell me if what I said makes a lick of sense. ;)
Yes, you don't know about "networking and stuff" :rolleyes:

They are both routers. All routers work the same way, they either dynamically assign ip addresses or you assign each computer static addresses. The router itself also has an address. Networking, in any form, is about a pathway to get to a computer. That's why a router has to have an address (it's like telling someone at what intersection to turn.) The router usually dynamically gives ip addresses to all the attached devices. You can instruct routers how to name the systems or you can let it create its own subnet (for instance, start naming computers from 10.10.1.01 and increment for every computer attached or let it create a subset and start from anywhere--though it usually starts at a class D submask)

mainstreetmark
Jun 8, 2004, 12:30 PM
another point worth mentioning is that in all these claims of distance (150 feet, and so on) are all probably measured in a football field or open meadow or something.

In practice lots of stuff attenuates the signal, such as a fireplace chimney, metal wall framings, and most significantly to the Express, electrical wiring.

If you plug your Express into the powerstrip in the floor below your metal computer desk with an aquarium on it, you're just not going to get much more than a room or two away.

Extreme can live up on a bookshelf, with an optional external antenna. I'd wager they have identical internal antenna, however.

redAPPLE
Jun 8, 2004, 12:32 PM

Are there any other differences? And by the way, with the airport express, would it be possible to use it as a wireless connection between your PB and eventually your tv so you can watch movies and/of clips from your PB? I mean, if you have your stereo connected to the tv and you have your stereo connected to your PB (wireless) woudl it be possible to also send moviefiles to your stereo and then tv instead of just musicfiles? Recap: send movie from PB to airport express, from aiport express to the stereo en then from stereo to tv? Or am i very much so wrong? I probably want a little bit too much huh! :D

if you only have one computer, and have a small home or apartment, then the AEBS is the better bet. if you want to connect a couple of computers, especially one which will be wired, then the extreme base station is the one for you.

if you want to watch movies or clips on your tv, then you should get the eyetv from elgato systems. i think it has already a wireless thingy that would work to send movies wirelessly (but read about the elgato system if you're interested).

edit: sorry it is called "eyehome" and not eyetv.

redAPPLE
Jun 8, 2004, 12:37 PM
i just hope Apple will have a lot of this in stock. i haven't ordered any yet. i am not sure why not. because i'd like to pick it up personally in an Apple Store?

please let not this be another iPod Mini fiasco.

Ensoniq
Jun 8, 2004, 12:44 PM
Every single question being asked here about what's different between Airport Extreme and Airport Express is clearly explained in a chart at:

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html

For those that don't want to make the extra click, the answers are:

1 - They have the same range.
2 - They are both full routers.
3 - They both have printer ports.
4 - Express: WAN Port Only (*), Extreme: Separate WAN/LAN Ports
5 - Express: 10 Users Max., Extreme: 50 Users Max.
6 - Express: Audio Out Jack, Extreme: No Audio Out
7 - Express: No Modem, Extreme: Modem OR Power Over Ethernet
8 - Express: No External Antenna Port, Extreme: External Antenna Port

(*) = When used in Wireless Bridge Mode, the WAN port CAN be used as a LAN port to connect wired devices. (Computer, Video Game, or Hub) But that requires an ADDITIONAL wireless router.

Essentially, the simple answer is that unless you need more than 10 simultaneous users to connect at once, or a modem connection to the Internet, the Airport Express for $129 kicks the AE Extreme Basestation's butt now, in both price and features. :)

JLaFrance
Jun 9, 2004, 04:41 PM
so if airport express doesnt have an ethernet port then i cant connect to roadrunner?? :( :mad:

davecuse
Jun 9, 2004, 04:56 PM
Every single question being asked here about what's different between Airport Extreme and Airport Express is clearly explained in a chart at:

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html

For those that don't want to make the extra click, the answers are:

4 - Express: WAN Port Only (*), Extreme: Separate WAN/LAN Ports

(*) = When used in Wireless Bridge Mode, the WAN port CAN be used as a LAN port to connect wired devices. (Computer, Video Game, or Hub) But that requires an ADDITIONAL wireless router.

I don't know what page you think you were looking at, but the tech specs page says nothing like that. It is strictly a WAN port, it cannot be magically changed to a LAN port...

kuyu
Jun 9, 2004, 05:23 PM
Here's my question though... Will the AE work just as nicely if I plug it into one of the ports on a 4 port Lynksis? IOW, can it function as a wireless gateway on a pre-existing network also, or does it need to be the router?

I need to know this as well. I have my office upstairs, but the videogames are downstairs on the opposite end of the house. Could I hook my stuff up like this?

Cable into modem
Ethernet into router (D-Link 604)
LAN ethernet into AExpress
Xbox, PS2 into router
computers use AExpress

Will this work? IOW, can I rout the connection BEFORE hooking up the AExpress, or will the computers be too slow?

johng723
Jun 9, 2004, 09:29 PM
Actually, at my parent's house I set up the network in a similar way. I have the cable modem connecting to a D-Link router and then I have a linksys wireless access point connected to the LAN router and it just work without having to set it up. I only did it this way because I was too lazy to disconnect the d-link router and just use the linksys one by itself. :p

osprey76
Jun 9, 2004, 09:46 PM
i just hope Apple will have a lot of this in stock. i haven't ordered any yet. i am not sure why not. because i'd like to pick it up personally in an Apple Store?

please let not this be another iPod Mini fiasco.

Apple probably doesn't have any in stock since they said they won't ship them until next month. This gadget is not exclusively tied to one novelty component like the mini is with its diminutive hard drive. I don't see why there'd be a problem. Apple is using a new form factor with the addition of the audio hardware. Different, but not exclusive. It probably shares some of its guts with the AE base station and the iPod.

aswitcher
Jun 9, 2004, 10:20 PM
Apple probably doesn't have any in stock since they said they won't ship them until next month. This gadget is not exclusively tied to one novelty component like the mini is with its diminutive hard drive. I don't see why there'd be a problem. Apple is using a new form factor with the addition of the audio hardware. Different, but not exclusive. It probably shares some of its guts with the AE base station and the iPod.

There are already warning remarks on Apple Australia's site which suggest to me that stock may not be available when its released in the US...

aussie_geek
Jun 9, 2004, 11:37 PM
From the specs I can see that it has a ethernet port on it. I have an APX basestation downstairs and I want to connect it to a Playstation2 upstairs. Will I be able to connect an ethernet cable from the Airport extreme into the back of the Playstation for internet access??

aussie_geek

johng723
Jun 11, 2004, 01:24 AM
does it say anywhere whether or not the print server part of the express will work with any existing wireless network, apple or not?