Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KidFresh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
NYC
Does Apple offer replacement for the cable which came along with my 3GS? Genius appt. needed? It's starting to rip at the iPhone plug end under normal usage.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I think it fall under wear 'n tear. However, this early and already tearing itself. Try the Genius and see what they say. I mean, my data cable from my 1st Gen has been squashed, flattened, and pretty much every no-no handling for a cable, and it still works and is still intact (its very dirty though).

w3cum

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2008
I have had to do this 5 times now... 4 with my 3g and 1 with my 3gs.... They are aware that the rubber seperates and they just give you a new cable

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I have had to do this 5 times now... 4 with my 3g and 1 with my 3gs.... They are aware that the rubber seperates and they just give you a new cable

I went a while ago for this same reason and the "genius" said that it is "normal" and that if it still works he won't replace it. He also pointed to the wall with all the expensive accessories. :(

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008

I just taped mine up. Maybe I will phone Apple and see what they can do. I really don't think it'll matter - it's a design flaw. If you compare the 4th gen iPod Classic USB cable to the iPhone's cable, you can see where they cheaped out. This also explains why my iPod cable is still perfect, and my iPhone cable is literally falling apart (after 1/3rd the use).

HarrisonB

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
god what do you guys do to your cables? I have tons of USB and few firewire ones and have not broken or even torn one. LOL

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
god what do you guys do to your cables? I have tons of USB and few firewire ones and have not broken or even torn one. LOL

It's not us it just the way the cable was made. My cable is coming off at the ends and it hasn't moved from my nightstand. However the cables from my 4+ year old nano is fine.

HarrisonB

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Yea I know. If you feel what the new cable is made of and what the old one is made of you can tell that it is made of different things. It almost feels like the new cable is made of the same thing the headphone cables are made of. That soft rubber.

Ya, I have like 3 of the new cables and 4 of the old ones.

KidFresh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
NYC
I just taped mine up. Maybe I will phone Apple and see what they can do. I really don't think it'll matter - it's a design flaw. If you compare the 4th gen iPod Classic USB cable to the iPhone's cable, you can see where they cheaped out. This also explains why my iPod cable is still perfect, and my iPhone cable is literally falling apart (after 1/3rd the use).
Well I now have a rubber band around the exposed wiring. A drop of liquid in it will probably fry my phone while charging.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I had the exact same priblem got it exchanged without a question asked, which is hard to do here in Sweden.

Apple seems to know they have a problem with the cable.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Same thing happened to me (my cable is about 9 months old). I just grabbed some super glue and glued it a little bit, and went about my business. Not worth it for me to drive all the way to the apple store for a $20 cord. It was a 30 second fix.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Same thing happened to me (my cable is about 9 months old). I just grabbed some super glue and glued it a little bit, and went about my business. Not worth it for me to drive all the way to the apple store for a $20 cord. It was a 30 second fix.

But it's good for Apple to get to replace them, it costs them money and then they might do something about it!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
OP! I must admit I'm astounded at your post! You say you USB cable that came with your 3GS is "coming apart". This means the cable has been in use for, say, no more than a couple of weeks?

Properly handled, these cables should pretty well last a lifetime. How on earth did you manage to destroy it?

In all fairness this treatment does not warrant a new free one!!

Sorry to be so blunt but I'm astounded on the way some people look after their possessions.

Prospekt

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
OP! I must admit I'm astounded at your post! You say you USB cable that came with your 3GS is "coming apart". This means the cable has been in use for, say, no more than a couple of weeks?

Properly handled, these cables should pretty well last a lifetime. How on earth did you manage to destroy it?

Sorry to be so blunt but I'm astounded on the way some people look after their possessions.

I know my cable hasn't moved from my nightstand and it is coming apart at the end. These cables are cheap

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
But it's good for Apple to get to replace them, it costs them money and then they might do something about it!

The thing is, they won't. Apple used to use strain reliefs on the cords which helped them to last a long time. They have since decided to use these newer style ones because they look nicer. I don't see them going back to the uglier, yet better cables any time soon.

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

What are you talking about? It has very little to do with the way you use it. They just suck all together! Why cable started doing that about 2 months after i go it and it never moved from my nightstand.

You can tell that it is a different material than the older USB cables that are tough.

And i dont really see how it is "uglier" like the poster above said. I think they look the same.

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
hmmm i noticed the cable that came with my 3g is torn after doing nothing more than nighttime charging, maybe ill try for an exchange. The cable that came with my rather old 30 gb ipod is running strong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.