Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Never had on my my previous 3G and it did get 1 scratch that was visible-deep.
Have had plenty of my BB and Nokia phones.

1st screen protector (clarivue) - similar to PS crystal on my iPhone.

Maybe I'm used to the smooth naked feel of the screen but sofar mixed feedback on the *feel* of having a screen protector on it. I'm sure the benefits of scratches will outweigh it for those who do use it...but it depends because the screen IMO is relatively scratchproof (or more prone to less scratching due to the material being glass)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I use them on my iPhone and iPod touch not just for scratch protection but because they seem to repel fingerprints better than the glass.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
In the unlikely event of a scratch situation I would rather replace a $7 protector than a $200 display. I figured that out all by myself and I wasn't even a math major.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I go to the beach often and sand gets in my pockets somehow.
The sand has scratched things in the past so I know it can happen again.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
Yeah i planned on going naked with the 3GS screen, but i have been a little careless so a scratch wouldn't be a surprise. Then i heard about excess scratching with this new iPhone screen, so i picked up a pack of DLO Surface Shields today, all is well. It makes the screen a little grainy, but i mean i'd rather have that with no fingerprints and a scratchless screen :)

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
To protect my screen. :cool:

:D Sorry, I had to.

Like someone else said, its just not worth the chance. I use the bodyguardz front on mine and actually like the slightly tacky feel. It also doesn't show fingerprints anywhere near as bad as the phone itself, even with the "oleophobic coating."

Xanderprime

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
My plan was not to use a screen protector with my 3gs but then I ended up with a micro scratch on the black part of the glass. Not sure how I got it but I didn't want anymore scratches so I slapped on a steinheil anti glare and have been happy ever since.

Alexwithad

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
USA
So my screen looks pretty :) And I got a really sick mirror screen protecter from iSkin solo FX it's awesome.

billy99

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
3GS scratched too

My 2G never scratched in over 2 years. 3GS has a scratch already, less than 1 mm, but still, it's there and I can't help but to resent it. Slapped an anti-glare film on my phone today because I don't want any more scratches.

I guess I just feel sort of cheated...why is Apple touting the benefits of an oleophobic screen if they just expect you to cover it up anyway? In my humble opinion, no way the oleophobic screen on the 3GS is as scratch resistant as the glass on the 2G.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I'm using it
  • to prevent the screen from getting scratched
  • to prevent fingerprints
  • to prevent unwanted smudges
  • to prevent the screen from looking dirty

UltraZ33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I just took my Inivisi-shield off. I usually put a protector on just because I want everything to be mint, but since apple is talking up their new screen im gonna put them up to it, if something happens, off to the apple store and a call to apple care. LOL

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I just took my Inivisi-shield off. I usually put a protector on just because I want everything to be mint, but since apple is talking up their new screen im gonna put them up to it, if something happens, off to the apple store and a call to apple care. LOL

So if you scratch your screen your going to return your phone? That's pretty pathetic.

Apple is talking about the ability to repel finger prints, not the ability to repel scratches.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Glass is hardly a scratchproof surface. It's a 7 on the mohs scale of hardness, a grain of sand, ie. quartz, can scratch glass. If you've ever been into high end watches you'll know a lot of the budget brands use mineral crystal or tempered glass for the watch crystal, which will almost certainly scratch in time, if you really want a nearly scratchproof iPhone screen, it'll have to be synthetic sapphire like a decent watch has, too expensive and unlikely to happen.

So, the screenprotectors are really the only game in town if you don't want scratches on your screen. The PS anti glares seem to do a surprisingly good job of protecting the screen.

If apple put out something like an iPhone elite model, with a sapphire screen, ceramic bezel, and maybe a pvd type body, the entire phone would be almost scratchproof, I'd gladly pay a few hundred more for something like that, but I just dont see it happening. :)

theITGuy

macrumors 6502a
After a Crystal Film saved my first gen...i'll never go naked again...i dropped the phone on my night table and the screen struck a corner flush...the protector had a huge dent...but it absorbed it and saved the screen :D

Cheers.

-J.-

gg4

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
MD
I really like my anti-glare protector and I don't like scratches... :p
Less visible fingerprints is a nice bonus, for me.

MediaDevil

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
While this is also a shameless plug of our own product, I say this with 100% sincerity:

I use a screen protector because no matter how much apple claim the screen is 'scratch resistant', we all know its not really. Give me a screen and i'll give you a scratch.

Secondly I use a privacy screen protector, because it drives me crazy when people on the tube (subway) look at my phone screen like they own a timeshare in it. I get a hell of a lot of satisfaction seeing them trying to figure out why they can't see the screen and then giving up.

...according to a 'close' friend of mine, it's also great for playing games in boring meetings ;P

potdude

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
Duh! Why use a screen protector? It's obvious!

Hello,

I had the original iPhone for a year and a half and put on a screen protector when I purchased it. I never changed the protector during the entire time and by the end the protector was full of small scratches but when I removed the protector the screen was like new and scratch free.

Now let's fast forward to my new iPhone, which I had for less than 24 hours and kept it in a free pocket with no other items other than the iPhone, and the screen somehow ended up with a small 1/4 inch scratch in the corner.

Thankfully for me, this same iPhone, however, ended up being defective within that 24 hours period with none of the outer buttons or volume slider functioned functioning and I was able to return that iPhone for a new one.

Needless to say I put a screen protector on the new iPhone right away, as it is much easier and cheaper to protect the phone and change the relatively cheap screen protector, than replace the iPhone itself.

Would you rather take the risk and go without a protector and end up with a permanent scratch that may annoy you that you can't remove? or would you rather buy the protector and if it becomes scratched you can always replace it with a new one and live happily ever after?

The end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.