Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikaelrules

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
I used to have an Snow Airport Base Station (802.11b) and have since replaced it with a Linksys 802.11g router. I have a few questions about the new ones since I am looking at an Airport Express when it comes out.

In my old base station, whenever I changed settings such as port forwarding, etc. The base station needed to restart every time. Does the Extreme still do this?

Have you tried using the WDS (bridging) with routers of other brands such as Buffalo, linksys, etc? Did it work? Or is the Bridging standard on the Airport base stations proprietary to Apple Base Stations only?

Thanks

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
mikaelrules said:
Have you tried using the WDS (bridging) with routers of other brands such as Buffalo, linksys, etc? Did it work? Or is the Bridging standard on the Airport base stations proprietary to Apple Base Stations only?

Thanks
According to Apple, for bridging to work, all the base stations involved must be Airport Extreme or Airport Express.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Yes, the AEBS needs to be restarted after changing the settings. But hey, my computer needs to be restarted after a software update, it's not really that big a deal.

As for wireless bridging, I can't really help you there. I was debating buying a 3rd party gadget to help improve my range, either a second base station or an antenna, but now I'm just going to wait to get my hands on an AE.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
You can bridge with other brands. We do it at work (3 Airport ExtremeBS and 4 Linksys and 1 Netgear)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.