Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Why not? It just randomly boots with whatever it feels like. Isn't it supposed to ask you which OS you want to boot with? Also, it gave me a blinking folder with a question mark one of the times it rebooted. I wish I could give more info, but I'm clueless.

Example: I use boot camp to install, do so with my ISO DVD I made of Windows 7. Once it gets to where I need to NOT boot from the DVD, it just goes straight to OSX. I reboot again, it goes back to Windows. It's a crap shoot. Then when in windows, I download all of the updates, and it prompts me to reboot. I do so, and it goes to a folder with a blinking question mark. ?? I reboot again, and it goes straight to OSX. Never prompted me.

What's going on?

EDIT: Also, I can't even shut down in OSX. There's nothing in the upper right corner besides spotlight. ...yet my airport card still works I guess. This is jacked up.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
The restart is in the top left hand corner under the apple. Second...you hold down option as previously stated.

EDIT: I think I misread your post about shutting down...nvm on the restart thing

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
The restart is in the top left hand corner under the apple. Second...you hold down option as previously stated.

EDIT: I think I misread your post about shutting down...nvm on the restart thing

I know..it wouldn't work. I had to ctrl-cmd-powerbutton to get it to restart. Weird.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
I know..it wouldn't work. I had to ctrl-cmd-powerbutton to get it to restart. Weird.

Yea sorry I realized you probably knew where the shutdown button was lol...Boot Camp can do some crazy stuff I guess. Check your disk permissions to make sure they are all alright. Also under system preferences you can choose your default boot drive (if you haven't tried that already).

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Sorry for the double post...the question mark means that the computer cannot find any OS to boot into so that is not good, could signal hard drive failure is eminent. Take it to apple if under apple care.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Sorry for the double post...the question mark means that the computer cannot find any OS to boot into so that is not good, could signal hard drive failure is eminent. Take it to apple if under apple care.

Yeah that freaked me out. Seems to be working ok now...but I didn't "do" anything. Just works.

Weird. Anyway, sorry for the hassle, but thanks for the advice. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.