Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i2m

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Berlin
With the 11th of July the App Store is now one year up and running.
After one year they report 1,5 bn downloads, 65.000 apps and 100.000 developers.
(see press release)
To me the ratio of apps and developers is very interesting as most of the developers pusblishing in the store have more than one app.
This means, that only a little part of the developers are active at the moment. With an average of 2 apps per developer it is around 30.000 with a app/developer ratio of 3 it is 20.000.
Maybe these are all new developers which are about to release their first app, but the question remains, what are these developers doing if not publishing apps?

any idea?

applemumba

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
You will probably find it was a large amount of people wanted pre-release of iPhone 3.0 months before it came out.

Am sure there was a large number of people paying the $99 to get this months earlier. Probably shows apple that there are some people who would pay silly money to get release earlier.

Am not saying apple must charge, as they give us iPhone owners a great deal with free updates but am sure it also shows if some want it early even though they not developing they will pay the amount for it!

Maybe am wrong but might be the huge ratio difference in developers to apps out there!

Phormic

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
I think you'll find it's actually 100,000 downloads of the SDK, not 100,000 developers.

Many downloads were by tyre kickers just to have a play, with no application built from it.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Developers doesn't necessarily mean contributing software to the App Store. I myself have the SDK, but have only fiddled around with it nominally. I'm sure there's a lot of folks like that.

You also have to figure that, sure, there's 65k apps but there's tons of apps made by the same developers as the OP says.

i2m

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Berlin
good comments, thank you.
Working in team and "SDK testers" explain it quite well I think.
Does anybody know the average app number by developer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.