Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Whenever I wake up my Power Mac G5 from sleep, it'll blow the circuit in my room. This morning, when I woke up and nothing was drawing power, I push the power button on the G5 and it blows the circuit. If I don't press the power button and release it extremely quickly, it'll blow the circuit. This room is rated at 15 amperes. Is there something wrong, or is the Power Mac a Power Hog?

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
Adre,

What else is on that circuit? An air conditioner, perhaps? A G5 by itself should not trip a 15A breaker. Another possibility is that the breaker itself is defective. You can verify that by trying it in another outlet, on another circuit. I hope there's nothing wrong with your G5. Good luck.

Marc

boz2004

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Indianapolis
definitely sounds like the circuit needs to be checked... how old's the building you live in? My (current) place was built in the 50's so we regularly have little brown-outs when the window AC kicks in...

while waiting to get the circuit checked, if you don't have a *GOOD* surge protector, get one... CYA

Adre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
This house isn't even a year old. The Mac's already plugged into a surge protector. I'll try moving it to another part of the house later tonight.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Out of curiosity, what kind of monitor do you have? A CRT kicking in draws far more power than a G5, but even then I've never even heard of one tripping a circuit breaker. Even a dual G5 2.0 only draws a little over 300W at maximum, so there's no way that alone should be doing anything to a 15A circuit.

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
Adre said:
Whenever I wake up my Power Mac G5 from sleep, it'll blow the circuit in my room. This morning, when I woke up and nothing was drawing power, I push the power button on the G5 and it blows the circuit. If I don't press the power button and release it extremely quickly, it'll blow the circuit. This room is rated at 15 amperes. Is there something wrong, or is the Power Mac a Power Hog?

I think the G5 has quite an initial surge. My UPS can maintain it in suspend mode for a long time, and even running for quite a while. But if I try to wake it up while in sleep mode on UPS power it blow's the UPS circuit.

Anyway, that being said no way it's pulling more then 15amps. You may have that circuit overloaded, or could even have a bad circuit breaker. I had one that would "flip" for no apparent reason was just too touchy.

Move it to different circuits and try it there. If your house is new, and you bought it new, call the electrician to check it out it's probably under warranty still.

I guess if it blows a circuit elsewere in your house take it to Apple ASAP. Might be a shorting power supply...

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Could try replacing the power lead / the fuse in the plug. If its blowing then it may be blowing for a reason, i.e. a faulty connection somewhere.

My G5 only has a 5amp fuse in the plug that goes into the wall so there is no way it could blow a 15amp fuse accidently. Is your earth wired up correctly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.