PDA

View Full Version : Mac 'now enterprise contender'

MacBytes
Jun 8, 2004, 08:45 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Mac \'now enterprise contender\' (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040608094510)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

mainstreetmark
Jun 8, 2004, 10:09 AM
80 per cent targeted Linux, 12 per cent Windows and 3 per cent OS X Server and BSD.

Really? 80% to Linux??

unoriginl
Jun 8, 2004, 10:21 AM
Of the attacks, 80 per cent targeted Linux, 12 per cent Windows and 3 per cent OS X Server and BSD. When breaches occurred, half involved Linux machines and one-third Windows. Macintosh OS X Server was unscathed.

I think those statistics are very interesting. I wonder what percentage of their machines each comprises. Still more surprising is that more Linux attempts were successful than Windows attempts!

JV

macridah
Jun 8, 2004, 10:54 AM
I think those statistics are very interesting. I wonder what percentage of their machines each comprises. Still more surprising is that more Linux attempts were successful than Windows attempts!

JV

I agree. Maybe it all started when Larry Ellison of Oracle said that Oracle for Linux was unbreakable.

But this sounds good for Mac OS X. I think well definitely see more Mac's in the enterprise in the future.

eazyway
Jun 8, 2004, 11:29 AM

JV

Not all that surprising .. If the data is factual it indicates a much greater breach success rate for Windows than Linux . Linux 80/12 or 6.7 times as many attacks but only (1/2) / (1/3) or 1.5 times as many breaches. Which shows that Windows is a much easier to breach by a factor of more than 4x. But you are right what is the success rate of the attacks.

unoriginl
Jun 8, 2004, 01:51 PM
Not all that surprising .. If the data is factual it indicates a much greater breach success rate for Windows than Linux . Linux 80/12 or 6.7 times as many attacks but only (1/2) / (1/3) or 1.5 times as many breaches. Which shows that Windows is a much easier to breach by a factor of more than 4x. But you are right what is the success rate of the attacks.
I guess I didn't look at it that way, but now that I read more carefully (and break out my calculator) I notice that 5% of attacks are unaccounted for but about 17% of breaches are unaccounted for. I wonder what that other system is... or am I missing something?

TomSmithMacEd
Jun 8, 2004, 02:19 PM
Maybe not Mac computers, but I could see airport express taking over in many businesses. Especially ones with business travelers.

Stella
Jun 8, 2004, 03:42 PM
The majority businesses won't switch from their windows machines... far too afraid of change, even if it lowers costs, improves productivity.

Managers are clueless and think Macs are just toys and have no software, and think there is no alternative to microsoft, just as many PC owners think.

Microsoft could just keep on increasing prices to absolute skyhigh prices, and these managers will complain and whine, but still pay the prices.

They wouldn't by a car without looking at the offerings.. shame they don't do the same with computers.

Complete ****wits

dopefiend
Jun 8, 2004, 03:44 PM
The majority businesses won't switch from their windows machines... far too afraid of change, even if it lowers costs, improves productivity.

Or...it could be the fact that the software they use isn't on a mac....Nothing to do with being afraid.

iBook
Jun 8, 2004, 04:16 PM
To be objective, the cost of the hardware is a major issue. As is the availability of an IT staff that is trained to manage a Macintosh infrastructure.

Unless enterprises are prepared to deploy eMacs at every employee workstation, Apple doesn't offer a product that competes $ to $ with any other PC manufacturer.

Rower_CPU
Jun 8, 2004, 04:29 PM
To be objective, the cost of the hardware is a major issue. As is the availability of an IT staff that is trained to manage a Macintosh infrastructure.

Unless enterprises are prepared to deploy eMacs at every employee workstation, Apple doesn't offer a product that competes $ to $ with any other PC manufacturer.

ROI tends to favor Macs in the long run. Fewer IT staff can manage more Macs compared to PCs.

Apple is not targeted at budget PCs and doesn't even try to compete "$ to $" with low-end machines. They are, however, very competitively priced in the server and workstation arena.

Stella
Jun 8, 2004, 04:58 PM
Partly that.. and I have found the fear / igorance factor also comes into it, greatly.

Or...it could be the fact that the software they use isn't on a mac....Nothing to do with being afraid.

Rower_CPU
Jun 8, 2004, 10:27 PM
Try to stay on topic, folks. Thanks :)