PDA

View Full Version : Apple Plugs Into 802.11g

MacBytes
Jun 8, 2004, 09:17 AM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Apple Plugs Into 802.11g (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040608101711)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Jun 8, 2004, 09:18 AM
I think we are truly seeing the emergence of a new Apple, one that has less and less to do with Apple PCs and more and more to do with the Apple experience on whatever platform you chose.

I checked - Rob Enderle didn't write this... but he was quoted in it... (ugh)
Overall a positive article in favor of the Airport Express, but those last few lines are stupid.

smorr
Jun 8, 2004, 11:15 AM
I felt the article had some definite bias -- it implies that Apple was behind the curve on 802.11g (headline: Apple plugs into 802.11g) and behind the curve on mobile base stations ("the company's first 802.11g mobile base station) as opposed the the world's first (and only) 802.11g mobilie base station/audio streaming system. It isn't until about 5th paragraph that they include a quote from apple that portraits thee real situation. Basically the author of the article doesn't get it.

unoriginl
Jun 8, 2004, 11:42 AM
What I'd really like to see is a similar concept for the iPod Dock. Imagine an iPod Dock that acts just like the Airport Express... syncs your iPod wirelessly and can let you also control the music playing from the iPod instead of iTunes if you want. I'm all for anything that eliminates a cable from my PowerBook. :-)

iBook
Jun 8, 2004, 02:43 PM
I felt the article had some definite bias -- it implies that Apple was behind the curve on 802.11g (headline: Apple plugs into 802.11g) and behind the curve on mobile base stations ("the company's first 802.11g mobile base station) as opposed the the world's first (and only) 802.11g mobilie base station/audio streaming system. It isn't until about 5th paragraph that they include a quote from apple that portraits thee real situation. Basically the author of the article doesn't get it.

You might want to re-read the article. The article is a puff piece and, if anything, the "bias" is very positive. It quotes Steve Jobs and an analyst who is favorable to Apple and the new offering.

"Plugs into 802.11g" is a word play based on the fact that unit plugs directly into the wall without the use of an intervening electrical cord. There is no implication whatsoever about Apple's position in supporting the 802.11g standard.

With respect to the statement you quoted, you didn't quote the whole sentence. This, btw, is the 2nd paragraph and articulates all of the uses for the device.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based computer maker unveiled its AirPort Express, the company's first 802.11g mobile base station that can be plugged directly into the wall for wireless Internet connections, USB printing, or streaming content through a network.

Basically, the reporter got it just fine.