PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Break O2 iPhone Exclusivity in the UK, But Not for the 3GS?

MacRumors
Jul 15, 2009, 02:34 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/15/apple-to-break-o2-iphone-exclusivity-in-the-uk-but-not-for-the-3gs/)

Mobile reports (http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/Apple_to_break_iPhone_exclusivity.html) that Apple will begin offering the iPhone 3G to wireless carriers Orange and T-Mobile in the UK later this year, while retaining exclusivity for the new iPhone 3GS for longtime partner O2.The move is set for as early as September and will end Apple's two year exclusive deal with O2.

Crucially, the manufacturer will continue to give O2 exclusivity for the new, faster 3GS version, but will grant distribution of the older 3G handset to another network.

Orange and T-Mobile are known to have already begun pitching for the handset. T-Mobile's call centres have also started telling customers it may stock the iPhone.O2 is reportedly "furious" about the move and fears that new entrants to the iPhone market will undercut its prices for the older iPhone 3G.

T-Mobile and Orange both have existing relationships with Apple, as they offer the iPhone in a number of other countries.

Article Link: Apple to Break O2 iPhone Exclusivity in the UK, But Not for the 3GS? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/15/apple-to-break-o2-iphone-exclusivity-in-the-uk-but-not-for-the-3gs/)

Macjames
Jul 15, 2009, 02:38 PM
would not like to be o2 now :D

Steve Jobs=God
Jul 15, 2009, 02:43 PM

spillproof
Jul 15, 2009, 02:46 PM
Good for Apple. Competition is a good thing.

Compile 'em all
Jul 15, 2009, 02:47 PM
uhmm...how?

time to read the article :D

moabon.rob
Jul 15, 2009, 02:48 PM
Depends where you are I guess... o2 have nothing to worry about in Southampton, where T-Mobile signal is a bit hit-and-miss and Orange signal is sub-sub-par...:p

GezDaFez
Jul 15, 2009, 02:52 PM
O2 reception in my house is non existent, so going back to T mobile would be a major plus for me.

plus my contract runs out in November. good timing :D

alhasa
Jul 15, 2009, 02:54 PM
this is great news!

its about time some other carriers were given the chance to undercut o2's ridiculously high pricing on the iPhone.

BRING ON THE COMPETITION! :p

mike3410
Jul 15, 2009, 02:56 PM
My contract ended with vodafone a month ago and to try make me stay the guy on the phonesaid that they are likely to have the iphone in the next 6 months. I didn't believe it at the time but does sound likely even though vodafone weren't mentioned there.

Dagless
Jul 15, 2009, 03:01 PM
O2 is reportedly "furious" about the move and fears that new entrants to the iPhone market will undercut its prices for the older iPhone 3G.

Oh so you mean we won't be gouged for iPhone prices with other networks? Great! Bring it on. :)

What I don't understand is why O2 charge ~400 for a "pay as you go" iPhone yet you have to top up 10 per month. That isn't pay as you go. PAYG is letting me top up however much I friggin want. Hope these other networks let us do that.

yetanotherdave
Jul 15, 2009, 03:01 PM
Why oh why oh why would they miss off vodafone from that list. Dammit apple I want an iPHone on vodafone.

mcmonkiez
Jul 15, 2009, 03:05 PM
O2 is CRAP O2 3G speed is so slow i am using Orange Uk sim on iPhone 3G S campare with my mrs 3gs speed on o2 is so slow..

Orange is the best, paying 25 a month 1200 min, unlimited text, unlimited landline calls and unlimited internet usage. orks perfect on orange speed perfect 3g coverage perfect never see GPRS or E sign on iphone only 3G.. sound quality perfect plus u have music calling tones too lol

alexph
Jul 15, 2009, 03:06 PM
Given that where i live Vodafone is the only option, i really really hope that VF get a look in.

tiiim
Jul 15, 2009, 03:12 PM
bring on the competition and break the monopoly.

kas23
Jul 15, 2009, 03:17 PM
OK, we need something like this in the states. This is excellent news for Apple and their customers, bad news for O2.

djellison
Jul 15, 2009, 03:22 PM
It's about damn time.

Of course, the idiots who were happy to pay 30 for the crappest contracts in the country will start bleating and moaning when O2 are forced to improve their offerings once other suppliers undercut them.

windywoo
Jul 15, 2009, 03:24 PM
To be fair to O2 I get a decent service from them... on a different phone altogether. I won't pay their huge prices for an iPhone when I can get tethering and internet access much cheaper elsewhere.

Shookster
Jul 15, 2009, 03:38 PM
I wonder if they'll support features like Visual Voicemail.

moabon.rob
Jul 15, 2009, 03:43 PM
What I don't understand is why O2 charge ~400 for a "pay as you go" iPhone yet you have to top up 10 per month. That isn't pay as you go. PAYG is letting me top up however much I friggin want. Hope these other networks let us do that.

You don't have to top up... but if you don't, then you get charged for your internet usage...

Saying that, o2 PAYG on any iPhone (if you text a lot or call a lot, or both) is quite extortionate - one reason I'm planning to get a Simplicity SIM soon.

mogzieee
Jul 15, 2009, 03:43 PM
This is probably just Apple angry that O2 managed to secure exclusivity to the Palm Pre and a plethora of other smartphones.

Also, hasn't this multiple-carrier stuff happened in France or some other European country already? I seem to remember there was some case about it.

Bakey
Jul 15, 2009, 04:17 PM
Why oh why oh why would they miss off vodafone from that list. Dammit apple I want an iPHone on vodafone.

Because they're pap! Everyone I know who is on Voda can't wait to move on to other providers... Even considering the likes of 3 :rolleyes:

And as mogzieee has already mentioned; isn't this likely to be nothing more than Apple stamping their authority and reminding O2 that securing the Pre has consequences?

sibruk
Jul 15, 2009, 04:26 PM
I wonder if they'll support features like Visual Voicemail.
I really can't imagine Apple wanting to work with a carrier that does not support the "user experience" they strive for. Visual Voicemail, unlimited internet, and now newer stuff like MMS... I would say they are all required for Apple to be interested.

andysmith
Jul 15, 2009, 04:28 PM
O2 is CRAP O2 3G speed is so slow i am using Orange Uk sim on iPhone 3G S campare with my mrs 3gs speed on o2 is so slow..

When I tested tethering on my 3G, the download speeds I got were comparable with my Three and Vodafone mobile broadband dongles. I've never had an issue with speed on o2, just coverage.

Stig McNasty
Jul 15, 2009, 04:44 PM
Excellent news - and I've only just gone to O2 with the 3GS. Orange is the best for reception here (halfway between Worcester and Kidderminster), then it's a long way to O2. Voda and the rest are utter, utter pants.
At least it may kick O2 enough to *gasp* compete.

BlizzardBomb
Jul 15, 2009, 04:49 PM
O2 are furious. Oh boo hoo. The only reason to be furious is that you know you haven't been providing customers a good deal. Competition is a great thing.

ct2k7
Jul 15, 2009, 04:58 PM
Here in Dorset, both reception is as bad as each other, no 3G whatsoever!

mtvib
Jul 15, 2009, 05:18 PM
I have had an o2 phone for the last 15 years and reasonably happy, but i would agree that competition will be a good thing.
Im sure o2's 3G network could be a lot better and faster if they thought people had a choice.
My o2 dongle is nowhere near as fast as other friends vodafone.

Bevz
Jul 15, 2009, 05:24 PM
Good. Finally a small step in the right direction...

I'd like to see Apple take this one step further and issue unlock codes for all iPhone first gen phones... They don't even build or sell the bloody thing anymore and it's still locked to O2! Ok, you can jailbreak, but it's the principle.....!!

Queso
Jul 15, 2009, 05:25 PM
Good. The iPhone brought a lot of new subscribers to O2, but in doing so all those users discovered just how easy it is to move mobile provider. O2 will have to start upgrading the holes in their service if they want to keep all of those customers.

julianna1973
Jul 15, 2009, 05:26 PM
It is good news for it to be available on other networks but not so good that you cant get the 3GS!!!

Hopefully when the 2010 iphone is released it will mean at least 2 or 3 mobile networks will stock it!!

For now im stuck with a bad signal that just recently got bad on O2 !!! and they wont do anything about it!!

In the end, with that attitude towards customer satisfaction means they will lose the customers they have. I for one will walk away the first chance i get now but i think they will hold me to the 2 year contract i stupid enough to sign up for JUST to get the new 3GS!!

Funny that my signal was ok for 2 years then suddenly not!

mogzieee
Jul 15, 2009, 05:29 PM
According to this article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jul/14/tmobile-apple-iphone-02) at The Guardian, it would appear that Apple is in talks to change from O2 all the way to T-Mobile at some point. Interesting read.

yetanotherdave
Jul 15, 2009, 05:35 PM
According to this article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jul/14/tmobile-apple-iphone-02) at The Guardian, it would appear that Apple is in talks to change from O2 all the way to T-Mobile at some point. Interesting read.

Wow, talk about a steb backwards, aren't t-mobile the only one worse than o2 (3, tesco and virgin discounted because they aren't proper providers, just re-sellers)

julianna1973
Jul 15, 2009, 05:41 PM
Wow, talk about a steb backwards, aren't t-mobile the only one worse than o2 (3, tesco and virgin discounted because they aren't proper providers, just re-sellers)

I dont agree. I used to not think much of Tmobile but i took a contract around spring 2006 for 18 months, it was a good deal they offered & i was happy with the signal & would have stayed with them but they werent offering me a an incentive to stay!! So i went to O2 & then upgraded to the iphone when it was released!! O2 were fine until recently when the signal went bad in my home & area!!

I would love to go back to T Mobile for the iPhone!!

yetanotherdave
Jul 15, 2009, 05:44 PM
I dont agree. I used to not think much of Tmobile but i took a contract around spring 2006 for 18 months, it was a good deal they offered & i was happy with the signal & would have stayed with them but they werent offering me a an incentive to stay!! So i went to O2 & then upgraded to the iphone when it was released!! O2 were fine until recently when the signal went bad in my home & area!!

I would love to go back to T Mobile for the iPhone!!

Well, it varies area by area, it would be nice if o2 responded by allowing all iphones sold by them to be unlocked...

iphones4evry1
Jul 15, 2009, 06:34 PM
I hope Apple continues this trend with the United States next. The $99 8GB 3G should be offered on T-mobile also. Competition is a good thing for the consumer. Hopefully, it will bring monthly fees down.

Saladinos
Jul 15, 2009, 06:44 PM
O2 are furious. Oh boo hoo. The only reason to be furious is that you know you haven't been providing customers a good deal. Competition is a great thing.

Well, that's not the only reason, but O2's 'deals' are pretty lame. I'm over the moon about this.

Cardy
Jul 15, 2009, 06:53 PM
After a few heated debates around the time of the 3gs launch, there were several, smug posters on here who scoffed at the very idea of us current o2 customers being offered a reasonable deal by o2 for the new handset.

Well, a few weeks on, and I wonder how o2 and their supporters are feeling now. The customers who have been loyal to them for nearly 20 months are now nearing the end of their contracts, many feeling aggrieved at o2's decision to disregard their upgrade request.

I personally was going to hang until December and go onto a Simplicity tariff, saving myself, and depriving o2, of a further 16 per month, and not being tied into a contract. But today news has broken that Orange, and T-Mobile are in the iPhone market too, which should make for some interesting sim only deals on the horizon.

How o2 must be kicking themselves for not tying it's huge customer base into new contracts with the 3gs now.

Finally, to all the smug, condescending know it alls from the previous threads, stick to you day jobs. You clearly knew nothing about how businesses should look after their customers then, and probably still don't realise now.

Cloudane
Jul 15, 2009, 07:10 PM
They're "furious"? My heart.... it bleeeeeds :D

What goes around does come around then!

Been all the way up and down the country the past couple of weekends watching the signal on O2 (iPhone), 3 and Vodafone (dongles, but same basic technology). 3 and Voda were on 3G pretty much all the time. With O2 I VERY rarely had anything better than GPRS (not even EDGE) - going down the motorway for example was a case of "ooh look a 3G signal! OMG! No wait... it's gone..." and half the time I was lucky to have any signal at all. A 3 dongle led to Motorway Warcraft with about 2 disconnects in as many hours of movement. Practically uninterrupted service.
(Yes my iPhone's receiver works perfectly well)

That's before you even get started on their pricing.

Although their 3G signal is good I'm not desperate enough to see 3 get it (good gawd NO).. been there: I only have their dongle because it's PAYG and was free.. but Orange might not be too bad. I'd rather have seen it on Vodafone, as they have almost the 3G coverage of 3 but without the Customer Service Fail - but any choice is good.

sananda
Jul 15, 2009, 08:08 PM

You don't have to top up... but if you don't, then you get charged for your internet usage...

You don't have to top up at all; I haven't in all the months I had a 3G and now a 3GS.

Data is included for the first 12 months.

NinjaHERO
Jul 15, 2009, 08:57 PM
yay competition.

daneoni
Jul 15, 2009, 09:06 PM
Good. I still can't believe the 3G isn't free or cheaper on contract/PAYG i mean really? 96/350?

It's about time other carriers got a piece of that pie. As much as i kind of like O2 and probably won't switch carriers regardless, i still think competition is good as it'll force O2 to improve their offerings. Because currently they aren't good at all, which is why i moved to their simplicity tariff as its probably the only decent offering they have in their lineup

tullys
Jul 16, 2009, 01:33 AM

That's what I thought. Given VF are already in bed with the iPhone in other countries it's possible that they thought this wouldn't attract sufficient business (that's the only reason I can think that they wouldn't pick up an option on this (if it was available to them).

I seriously hope VF pickup the next generation (there's no way I'll be upgraing mid product cycle to the 3GS at the end of my o2 contract in January) so I'll be expecting to have to sign another 18month contract to get the NG phone with whoever in July '10.

cervaro
Jul 16, 2009, 02:04 AM
Really hope Vodafone come in for the next iPhone, as o2 hit and miss for me, plus T-Mobile have never been any good wherever I've lived in Kent :(

macmedal
Jul 16, 2009, 02:56 AM
I have been with Orange, T Mobile, O2 and Vodafone over the many years of owning a mobile phone. I still have a Vodafone 3G phone and 3G dongle for business use and I find the 3G coverage a lot more consistent than O2 in London and E Anglia area. Not been with Orange for many years but they were OK, not sure what their coverage is like now.

But I was with Virgin (T-Mobile network) for a couple of years and sure they were cheap, and had pretty decent customer service, but their coverage is lousy, no where near as good as Vodafone or O2.

If I had a choice I would go with Vodafone for coverage, although I will say their customer service is really hit and miss, sometimes I have had really good service from them, other times they have been really really bad. Alternatively I would probably stick with O2 if they offered a cheaper deal or maybe even try Orange again.

The main trouble I see in all of this is locked handsets. Will this mean that O2/Apple will be obliged to provide an unlocking service if there is official competition in the marketplace ?

Cloudane
Jul 16, 2009, 03:03 AM
The main trouble I see in all of this is locked handsets. Will this mean that O2/Apple will be obliged to provide an unlocking service if there is official competition in the marketplace ?

I very much doubt it. The agreement is between the carrier and yourself, with the phone being subsidised by the carrier - they'll just have locked-to-Orange versions etc.

Nevis8
Jul 16, 2009, 03:26 AM
OFCOM recently produced maps showing the 3G coverage for the UK. O2 provided the worst coverage of the 4 big providers.

Having said that will other providers have a similar tie up with The Cloud and BT Openzone - unlikely I'd imagine

Boblister
Jul 16, 2009, 03:43 AM
Having said that will other providers have a similar tie up with The Cloud and BT Openzone - unlikely I'd imagine

I have not found much use for The Cloud and BT Openzone. It's too few and far between where I am. When I do find one there is usually a 3G signal around that seems to do a better job.

The Phazer
Jul 16, 2009, 03:53 AM
O2 is reportedly "furious" about the move and fears that new entrants to the iPhone market will undercut its prices for the older iPhone 3G.

Would that be O2 admitting that they are price gouging then?

:-)

Phazer

instaxgirl
Jul 16, 2009, 04:32 AM

3 do have their own 3G network. They just fall back onto Orange and O2 2G when there's no 3G available (and drop the call every time they do it :mad:)

Tesco, at least when I was on it 2/3 years ago was O2 (and bloody brilliant)

Virgin is T-Mobile I think.

Although their 3G signal is good I'm not desperate enough to see 3 get it (good gawd NO).. been there

I've been there too. Was thoroughly ripped off, abused by CS and mistreated AND the signal was *****. They're the reason I will now only sign sim only 30 day rolling contracts.

I'd love to see someone other than O2 get the iPhone (and I am very fond of O2 - they're who I moved to after 3 and it was a breath of fresh air) simply 'cause the contracts are ridiculous. And the price of the 3G is a bloody joke. As is the fact that you can't unlock your payg phone (although that's probably Apple's fault)

As for Orange and T-Mobile. My boyfriend's with Orange, and they seem not bad although I get better signal on O2 and T-Mobile than he does. T-Mobile is definitely they cheapest and best value as far as sim only deals go, and my signal's a constant 5 bars with them, whereas with O2 would drop a bit sometimes.

O2's CS was outstanding though (and, unlike T-Mobile's, free), and they did lovely things like let me give 3 days notice instead of 30 when I stopped my contract - "oh, we'd never keep charging you once you'd moved your PAC" was music to my ears.

In Edinburgh though I think it's really Vodafone that gives the absolute best signal, even in dodgy black spots like my middle of nowhere university.

bigandy
Jul 16, 2009, 04:33 AM
While good from a line rental/phone cost point of view, everyone will probably be really pissed when it all sparks an iPhone price war.

So Orange (for example) offers 500 texts and 600 mins for 20, instead of O2's 35. The small print notes that doesn't include data, nobody reads it, gets locked in to contract. O2 sees their loss of custom, reduces contract cost and removes unlimited data offering. Other providers follow suit. Soon after, we have multiple providers offering cheap line rental for iPhone contracts, but all get screwed over because unlimited data is something of the past (unless you pay 30 a month).

I used to hate O2, after their 2003 screwing over teh bigandy. In the last 12 months I've been pleasantly surprised. Yeah, you pay a bit more, but you don't get screwed on data use. You don't have any problems getting through to customer services. They even do what you request of them!

All in all, couldn't care less - as long as I get to keep my unlimited data for a decent price. Bandwidth ain't cheap, so free is a good price - especially when landline providers are doing all they can to avoid unlimited plans and pass on their bandwidth costs to the end user.

Cloudane
Jul 16, 2009, 04:50 AM
O2's CS was outstanding though (and, unlike T-Mobile's, free), and they did lovely things like let me give 3 days notice instead of 30 when I stopped my contract - "oh, we'd never keep charging you once you'd moved your PAC" was music to my ears.

My experience as well.

Their coverage is poor and they can't really be bothered to roll out 3G at all, but I have to admit, some of the other carriers could learn a thing or two from their customer service. (Referring to their telephone support, not the retail stores: the retail drones are bloody hopeless)

Cancelling 3 was hell. 30 days notice is after you can even convince them to do that, after they've begged, pleaded and insisted that you get some crappy alternative to the iPhone with them. And after half an hour of arguing against that, that you give the contract to a family member. And then after half an hour of arguing against that, that you give the contract to a friend. Then a colleague. Then "OMG please, anybody, my job depends on it" (not in so many words). I ended up hanging up and writing a letter. If Apple went with 3, and there was no unlock ability (shady or not) then I'd get a Pre.

Thankfully the customer service of Apple and 3 are absolute polar opposites, so I can't see them choosing 3 in a million years :)

Griffter
Jul 16, 2009, 05:05 AM
I heard something on the grapevine a couple of weeks ago that this might happen. The guy who told me said that this is all a result of the Pre getting O2 exclusivity, which apparently breaks the contract with Apple. Anyway, I moved from Orange to O2 to get an iPhone, its actually cheaper than my old contract but the customer service isn't that great!

djellison
Jul 16, 2009, 05:16 AM
, I moved from Orange to O2 to get an iPhone, its actually cheaper than my old contract

WOW - how on EARTH did you get a contract worse than O2's offerings?

MagicBoy
Jul 16, 2009, 06:18 AM
About bloody time!

I was looking at leaving T-Mobile (after 11 years!) when my current contract expires and going to O2 for the 3GS. Problem was that I'm on a discounted plan as I have a friend who works for them, and really didn't want to lose it.

I'll quite happily compromise on a standard iPhone 3G on a proper network.

talkingfuture
Jul 16, 2009, 06:59 AM
Hopefully they'll offer it on PAYG at a decent price. I couldn't believe they kept the 3g PAYG at 342 when the 3gs was launched. I thought O2 would have tried to use the old model to get a load of people onto it.

If T-Mobile get the 3g it will be a bonus becasue I can get a 3g signal at home and work on them too.

uptherighttree
Jul 16, 2009, 07:22 AM
I'm due for an upgrade on Vodafone at the start of October so it would be nice if Voda had the iPhone too.

But if not I'd consider moving IF the deal was right, and to be honest...compared to O2's offerings, that's not going to be hard to beat!

fakiekid
Jul 16, 2009, 08:39 AM
O2 are furious eh!? BOUT BLOODY TIME! O2 RUIN the iPhone for me, insane prices for the upgrade to 3GS this time taking the bullet. Thank god someone like Orange may have it! Orange Wednesdays!

Porco
Jul 16, 2009, 09:03 AM
I wish the exclusivity would go away entirely, it's the last remaining thing that puts me off buying an iPhone.

talkingfuture
Jul 16, 2009, 09:07 AM
I wish the exclusivity would go away entirely, it's the last remaining thing that puts me off buying an iPhone.

I agree its time to let everyone sell it and open up some competition.

camperdown9
Jul 16, 2009, 09:10 AM
Hi

Ok Apple are only going to let T-Mobile and Orange sell the iPhone 3G (and not the 3Gs).

Ok as far as we know Vodafone are not getting the iPhone.

...but it has to be a good thing. let people pick what network they want to be with. It might even bring the tariff's down.

Alex

Sareth
Jul 16, 2009, 09:14 AM
It better bring the prices down, every time I think about the possibility of an iPhone I look at those tariffs and choke.

camperdown9
Jul 16, 2009, 09:23 AM
This is probably just Apple angry that O2 managed to secure exclusivity to the Palm Pre and a plethora of other smartphones.

Also, hasn't this multiple-carrier stuff happened in France or some other European country already? I seem to remember there was some case about it.

Do you think O2 might of know that Apple were in someway going to end their exclusive agreement, thats why the went for the Palm Pre? Maybe they thought we are never going to keep the Apple deal and we have made as much as we can selling the iphone 3g so let it go. Don't fight for it.

In France Orange had the exclusive deal for iPhone, now SFR and Bouygues Telecom also sell the iphone. However here they had to go to court to get the exclusive deal ended. (My view is that Orange were not very happy, but Apple might of been. More networks = more people buying iPhone)

mogzieee
Jul 16, 2009, 10:15 AM

I have been with Vodafone for 4 years now, and they've irritated me so much that when it comes to my upgrade this summer I will do anything to quit them and go with either O2 or Orange.

Do you think O2 might of know that Apple were in someway going to end their exclusive agreement, thats why the went for the Palm Pre? Maybe they thought we are never going to keep the Apple deal and we have made as much as we can selling the iphone 3g so let it go. Don't fight for it.

In France Orange had the exclusive deal for iPhone, now SFR and Bouygues Telecom also sell the iphone. However here they had to go to court to get the exclusive deal ended. (My view is that Orange were not very happy, but Apple might of been. More networks = more people buying iPhone)

Too true, nice thinking. And yes, this is the court case I was thinking about.

whooleytoo
Jul 16, 2009, 10:37 AM
Rumour has it, Vodafone Ireland believe they too are getting the iPhone 3G, and are actively pitching it to customers well in advance:

Boards.ie (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055622354)

babyj
Jul 16, 2009, 02:21 PM
Where are all these great deals that Orange and T-Mobile offer?

I just had a look at their websites and can't find any plans that are any better than the tariff I get from O2, at maximum it was about 5 a month saving but there was a catch with all of them. Orange don't offer more than 500Mb traffic a month, some plans didn't include voicemail and none of them included MMS as part of your SMS.

Can someone show me the talk plans on the Orange and T-Mobile websites that beat my O2 iPhone contract?

I'm on the 18 month, 44.05 for 1200 mins and 500 texts.

mcmonkiez
Jul 16, 2009, 02:36 PM
Where are all these great deals that Orange and T-Mobile offer?

I just had a look at their websites and can't find any plans that are any better than the tariff I get from O2, at maximum it was about 5 a month saving but there was a catch with all of them. Orange don't offer more than 500Mb traffic a month, some plans didn't include voicemail and none of them included MMS as part of your SMS.

Can someone show me the talk plans on the Orange and T-Mobile websites that beat my O2 iPhone contract?

I'm on the 18 month, 44.05 for 1200 mins and 500 texts.

Well I am on Orange paying Racoon 30 which is 30 a month with 1200 min and 500 text messages with unlimited internet usage and unlimited landline calls to any network anytime. 3G speed and coverage is far better then O2 i had o2 contract when first gen iphone released and really o2 3g speed was so slow and coverage its just not good as Orange.

Move back to Orange and really folks its great.. plus u get calling tones lol not a major stuff but just thought add that too..

there is another talk plan 29 a month 1600 min 500 text and unlimited text not bad.
MMS bundle is you got to add as a extra bolt on regardless which network you are on.

surferfromuk
Jul 16, 2009, 03:01 PM
O2 already know it's over which is exactly why they are gouging us for everything they can with this revision. This is the first 1st time I haven't upgraded, bet I'm not alone by a long way.

babyj
Jul 16, 2009, 05:31 PM
Well I am on Orange paying Racoon 30 which is 30 a month with 1200 min and 500 text messages with unlimited internet usage and unlimited landline calls to any network anytime.

MMS bundle is you got to add as a extra bolt on regardless which network you are on.

The Orange website lists Racoon 30 as having 400 mins, 300 texts, free landline calls and evening / weekend internet for 2 months @ 30. Plus Orange appear to define "unlimited" as 500Mb a month.

I'm guessing you've got a retention deal or have been with them a while, as they do give better deals for long term customers.

MMS isn't a bolt on with the O2 iPhone plans, they just count as 4 texts.

Anyone that thinks the iPhone will be massively cheaper with Orange or T-Mobile is likely to have a big shock, if they do get to supply them. They will charge just the same so they can make a decent profit, to pay Apple their healthy chunk and to cover the extra network usage costs that come with the iPhone.

The only thing that will change is that people will be complaining about Orange and T-Mobile as well as O2.

John T
Jul 16, 2009, 06:11 PM
Seems as if now, the iPhone 3G is just "another" 'phone. Like so many Nokias, Samsungs etc. etc.

Pagemakers
Jul 17, 2009, 07:07 AM
For me the worst thing about the iPhone is o2. I'd jump ship back to T-Mobile any day.

MattZani
Jul 17, 2009, 08:14 AM
Id always be with O2, i love them as a carrier, But i hope this brings a lower price to the iPhone.

neil1980
Jul 17, 2009, 08:53 AM
Excellent news - and I've only just gone to O2 with the 3GS. Orange is the best for reception here (halfway between Worcester and Kidderminster), then it's a long way to O2. Voda and the rest are utter, utter pants.
At least it may kick O2 enough to *gasp* compete.

I'm about 10 mile from Worcester and 10 from Kiddy and my signal is crap too, no 3G here... I'd have to seriously consider moving back to T-mobile after my contract is up

00146CB58122
Jul 17, 2009, 03:06 PM
The Orange website lists Racoon 30 as having 400 mins, 300 texts, free landline calls and evening / weekend internet for 2 months @ 30. Plus Orange appear to define "unlimited" as 500Mb a month.

I'm guessing you've got a retention deal or have been with them a while, as they do give better deals for long term customers.

There's also a SIM only Racoon 30 plan (http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/plans/simPlanList.jsp) that lists the following benefits: 1200 minutes + 500 texts + unlimited landline + 500mb/month data. As you need to provide your own phone with a SIM only plan they offer you more benefits as there's no phone to subsidise. Also the SIM only plan is a 1 month contract so you can get out at any time.

The SIM only plan does look a good deal for someone inheriting an old iPhone. They can unlock it and use it on their network of choice.

I hope this exclusivity ends, I've stuck with my old Nokia on Orange because I've seen how poor 3G coverage can be with O2 and I live in Central London. My phone is showing 3G where my friends iPhones are showing EDGE. Competition is good, the best network for one person is not the best for another.

Also can anyone remember how O2 botched the launch of the iPhone 3G last year? Their activation site (that had to be used in store) required IE and so the Apple stores had to install parallels (or was it vmware) on all the machines that they were using to set up O2 accounts. This had to be embarrassing for Apple, having to launch Windows to complete the setup of an Apple product. The whole process was slow and tedious that the first few weeks after launch the Regent Street store had roped off most of the laptops on display upstairs for use as extra activation points.

wowipod
Jul 18, 2009, 04:37 AM
Here in the land down under (Australia) we have 3 providers and then virgin who piggyback on another network, with the iPhone and let me tell you even with all major carriers having it doesn't make for great competition. We don't even get unlimited data. (I am originally from the UK and so know all about the carriers over there :rolleyes:) Was with O2 and I have to say I thought they were fine, nothing to fault compared to the carriers over here. Did you know PAYG credit expires. It's a joke. Anyway:

Telstra (like O2) (also like BT) - Worst deals best coverage
Vodafone (like......well der) - Bad deals poor coverage
Optus (T-mobile or Orange) - good deals average coverage (ME)
Virgin Mobile (Optus) - Fantastic deals very poor service

Basically even if the other carriers were to be let in one maybe two would decide to do good deals to get the customers in, presumable Orange and T-Mobile and then people like voda and O2 would sit tight and won't do badly out of it, mainly because they have customers who stick with them.

MagicWok
Jul 18, 2009, 06:21 PM
I think this is great news, and I couldn't give a damn about how O2 feel about their prices. ;)

just21
Jul 19, 2009, 04:53 PM
I am testing all five Uk networks on an unlocked Iphone in north London. The results are here http://bestiphonenetwork.blogspot.com

sananda
Jul 19, 2009, 04:55 PM
I am testing all five Uk networks on an unlocked Iphone in north London. The results are here http://bestiphonenetwork.blogspot.com

Well, those are pretty disappointing.

Gokhan
Jul 19, 2009, 06:17 PM
so will 02 reduce prices on their 45 tariff to be more inline with other
carriers ? (even to existing customers ?)

John T
Jul 20, 2009, 03:32 AM
In all fairness, those results are relevant to a specific location. As an example of results elseware in the Country, they are totally meaningless.

fabianjj
Jul 20, 2009, 09:04 AM

It has happend in almost every European country I believe.

chappy87
Jul 20, 2009, 09:08 AM
I really don't see what all the fuss is about with the price of the O2 iPhone tarriffs to be honest. It's hard to compare them against anything when we haven't ever really seen another example of an unlimited data plan that allows for as much useful functionality as the iPhone does. I for one have never felt ripped off by them.

zeeflyboy
Jul 20, 2009, 01:11 PM
I really don't see what all the fuss is about with the price of the O2 iPhone tarriffs to be honest. It's hard to compare them against anything when we haven't ever really seen another example of an unlimited data plan that allows for as much useful functionality as the iPhone does. I for one have never felt ripped off by them.

Ideal customer...

I routinely feel ripped off by them... mainly by the complete lack of cusomisation in the tariffs.

I have absolutely no need for 1200 or whatever minutes, but i'd like a few more texts than 500... and how about trading some voice minutes for data tethering?

All reasonable requests in my opinion, but on the current O2 iphone setup, no chance.

ajbrehm
Jul 21, 2009, 04:34 AM
I am beginning to hate Apple for their recent moves.

If Apple want exclusive contracts, why did they choose the worst phone company in o2? What's the point of annoying customers like that? I would happily pay more for the iPhone so that Apple can make their profit if only I wouldn't have to be on o2. I am serious. Service is that bad.

Here in Ireland we are already paying paddy tax (o2 charges us more than in the UK for some reason; don't tell me that running a cell network in Northern Ireland is more economical than in the south).

And to top it off, o2 don't even have the iPhone 3GS. I tried to buy one, but they cannot even be ordered or pre-ordered. O2 just don't have any.

I have an insurance for my current iPhone (first generation). If it breaks, o2 are meant to replace it for free with a current model. How could they do this now?

No, Apple have screwed up. They made an exclusive deal with a phone company not up to the task and somehow fail to sell iPhones now even though there are willing customers.

ajbrehm
Jul 21, 2009, 04:36 AM
Ideal customer...

I routinely feel ripped off by them... mainly by the complete lack of cusomisation in the tariffs.

I have absolutely no need for 1200 or whatever minutes, but i'd like a few more texts than 500... and how about trading some voice minutes for data tethering?

All reasonable requests in my opinion, but on the current O2 iphone setup, no chance.

If we had the plan you describe in Ireland (and could buy the new phones), I wouldn't complain.

I _wish_ that I had your problems. Sounds like paradise to me.

kitenski
Jul 21, 2009, 05:41 AM
I certainly hope this rumour is true, competition can only drive the price down!

randystand
Jul 21, 2009, 06:47 AM
Will be good. I'm with O2 with my iPhone 3G at the moment and that runs out in January. I would like the 3GS when i upgrade but i don't really want to pay for phone at start. So if another one of these companies gets the 3G i may leave O2 and grab another 3G through Orange or T-Mobile. I don't really want to change from iPhone. The Palm Pre looks horrendous.

Revival Cr8tive
Jul 21, 2009, 10:42 AM
I hope that Orange get the contract. I have never been a fan of T-Mobile.

Currently I'm on o2 but refuse to get an iphone contract because of the cost... It works out at least 626 a year to run an iphone.. Thats like.... 52.00 a month and thats for the cheapest deal with No Call Time.... What are people going to do with 75mins? thats nothing!!!!! GRRRRR :mad:
I mean seriously what is that? 75mins? ....

Whats even worst is there's no internet tethering with out some ridiculous fee.... Breakthrough device my butt! No one can use it cos o2 are so expensive!

Seems like Orange have the right network capacity also according to those speed tests. According to friend o2 compress the data on the 3G network so much its virtually pointless having it...

Finally...
I would like to agree with about 99% of the people on this thread. o2 are systematically ripping people off and I for one will be glad when competition comes in.

Thanks for letting me rant! Comments welcome!

ajbrehm
Jul 23, 2009, 08:06 AM
Currently I'm on o2 but refuse to get an iphone contract because of the cost... It works out at least 626 a year to run an iphone.. Thats like.... 52.00 a month and thats for the cheapest deal with No Call Time.... What are people going to do with 75mins? thats nothing!!!!! GRRRRR :mad:
I mean seriously what is that? 75mins? ....

Are you in the UK?

I wish we here in Ireland would have your plans.

600 minutes for 35 pounds a month all over Great Britain and Northern Ireland? Sounds like a dream to me.

jayo1971
Jul 23, 2009, 08:55 AM

I agree, im on the 35 per month deal and its just what im after. Infact, i used to be on orange and had an average bill of nearly 50 per month. Plus the network is better.:D

daveamerican
Jul 26, 2009, 04:38 AM
Seems as if now, the iPhone 3G is just "another" 'phone. Like so many Nokias, Samsungs etc. etc.

This is true. Although I am happy with the competition, a part of me feels disappointed. Lower prices would only mean any other person walkin down the street will have an iphone. Currently, when i travel on tube or bus, i can certainly expect a few stares at my cool iPhone 3G. Not that I am a show off, but i kind of enjoy that feeling. :rolleyes:

rcarranza
Jul 26, 2009, 04:52 AM
I'm in the 45 tariff and have never gone over.

Not enough texts? Send email, use Facebook, twitter, anything really. The unlimited data plan rocks!

Usually people who complain about contracts being too expensive, or that they always pay twice their line rental are the ones who went for the wrong contract for their usage or they shopped at Phones 4 U. ;)

I love it how people complain about the price of the iPhone over here. People seem to forget that
1. Its a premium device and,
2. The UK is one of the cheapest places in the world to get an iPhone. In fact its one of the cheapest places to get electronics generally!

I don't particularly want the iPhone to be on Orange. Rubbish signal in most places. If its going to go on another network it should be Vodafone.

On the other hand...Apple and Orange? What a pear! :D:D

rcarranza
Jul 26, 2009, 05:19 AM

Probably not going to happen. There are talks of Vodafone buying T-Mobile because it's in so much trouble! Also, T-Mobile have stopped selling connections this quarter as the network can't handle it. Imagine if it did get the iPhone! :rolleyes:

On the other hand, when I had an N95 on T-Mobile I frequently got an amazing 3.5G signal!