Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mobile reports that Apple will begin offering the iPhone 3G to wireless carriers Orange and T-Mobile in the UK later this year, while retaining exclusivity for the new iPhone 3GS for longtime partner O2.
The move is set for as early as September and will end Apple's two year exclusive deal with O2.

Crucially, the manufacturer will continue to give O2 exclusivity for the new, faster 3GS version, but will grant distribution of the older 3G handset to another network.

Orange and T-Mobile are known to have already begun pitching for the handset. T-Mobile's call centres have also started telling customers it may stock the iPhone.
O2 is reportedly "furious" about the move and fears that new entrants to the iPhone market will undercut its prices for the older iPhone 3G.

T-Mobile and Orange both have existing relationships with Apple, as they offer the iPhone in a number of other countries.

Article Link: Apple to Break O2 iPhone Exclusivity in the UK, But Not for the 3GS?

moabon.rob

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Depends where you are I guess... o2 have nothing to worry about in Southampton, where T-Mobile signal is a bit hit-and-miss and Orange signal is sub-sub-par...:p

GezDaFez

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
O2 reception in my house is non existent, so going back to T mobile would be a major plus for me.

plus my contract runs out in November. good timing :D

alhasa

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
this is great news!

its about time some other carriers were given the chance to undercut o2's ridiculously high pricing on the iPhone.

BRING ON THE COMPETITION! :p

mike3410

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Leamington Spa, UK
My contract ended with vodafone a month ago and to try make me stay the guy on the phonesaid that they are likely to have the iphone in the next 6 months. I didn't believe it at the time but does sound likely even though vodafone weren't mentioned there.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
O2 is reportedly "furious" about the move and fears that new entrants to the iPhone market will undercut its prices for the older iPhone 3G.

Oh so you mean we won't be gouged for iPhone prices with other networks? Great! Bring it on. :)

What I don't understand is why O2 charge ~£400 for a "pay as you go" iPhone yet you have to top up £10 per month. That isn't pay as you go. PAYG is letting me top up however much I friggin want. Hope these other networks let us do that.

mcmonkiez

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
O2 is CRAP O2 3G speed is so slow i am using Orange Uk sim on iPhone 3G S campare with my mrs 3gs speed on o2 is so slow..

Orange is the best, paying 25 a month 1200 min, unlimited text, unlimited landline calls and unlimited internet usage. orks perfect on orange speed perfect 3g coverage perfect never see GPRS or E sign on iphone only 3G.. sound quality perfect plus u have music calling tones too lol

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
OK, we need something like this in the states. This is excellent news for Apple and their customers, bad news for O2.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
It's about damn time.

Of course, the idiots who were happy to pay £30 for the crappest contracts in the country will start bleating and moaning when O2 are forced to improve their offerings once other suppliers undercut them.

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
To be fair to O2 I get a decent service from them... on a different phone altogether. I won't pay their huge prices for an iPhone when I can get tethering and internet access much cheaper elsewhere.

moabon.rob

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Cardiff, UK
What I don't understand is why O2 charge ~£400 for a "pay as you go" iPhone yet you have to top up £10 per month. That isn't pay as you go. PAYG is letting me top up however much I friggin want. Hope these other networks let us do that.

You don't have to top up... but if you don't, then you get charged for your internet usage...

Saying that, o2 PAYG on any iPhone (if you text a lot or call a lot, or both) is quite extortionate - one reason I'm planning to get a Simplicity SIM soon.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
This is probably just Apple angry that O2 managed to secure exclusivity to the Palm Pre and a plethora of other smartphones.

Also, hasn't this multiple-carrier stuff happened in France or some other European country already? I seem to remember there was some case about it.

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
Why oh why oh why would they miss off vodafone from that list. Dammit apple I want an iPHone on vodafone.

Because they're pap! Everyone I know who is on Voda can't wait to move on to other providers... Even considering the likes of 3 :rolleyes:

And as mogzieee has already mentioned; isn't this likely to be nothing more than Apple stamping their authority and reminding O2 that securing the Pre has consequences?

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
I wonder if they'll support features like Visual Voicemail.
I really can't imagine Apple wanting to work with a carrier that does not support the "user experience" they strive for. Visual Voicemail, unlimited internet, and now newer stuff like MMS... I would say they are all required for Apple to be interested.

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
O2 is CRAP O2 3G speed is so slow i am using Orange Uk sim on iPhone 3G S campare with my mrs 3gs speed on o2 is so slow..

When I tested tethering on my 3G, the download speeds I got were comparable with my Three and Vodafone mobile broadband dongles. I've never had an issue with speed on o2, just coverage.

Stig McNasty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Excellent news - and I've only just gone to O2 with the 3GS. Orange is the best for reception here (halfway between Worcester and Kidderminster), then it's a long way to O2. Voda and the rest are utter, utter pants.
At least it may kick O2 enough to *gasp* compete.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
O2 are furious. Oh boo hoo. The only reason to be furious is that you know you haven't been providing customers a good deal. Competition is a great thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.