PDA

View Full Version : Possible pic of new iMac?

davester
Dec 14, 2001, 02:36 AM
YourDailyMac has posted this image of what they believe to be the new LCD iMac. I don't buy it.

[edit: image no longer available]

mymemory
Dec 14, 2001, 05:21 AM
It looks like made from applele.com, the same kind of rendering, the same texture, the same lighting. This is not the new iMac.

[Edited by mymemory on 12-15-2001 at 12:08 AM]

Falleron
Dec 14, 2001, 05:57 AM
What would be the difference between the picture and the iBook? (Design wise??) Nothing, its looks like an ibook! This is not the new iMac.

C_a_r_s_t_e_n
Dec 14, 2001, 06:50 AM
I have seen this before. Not an iMac. Definately not.

irmongoose
Dec 14, 2001, 07:31 AM
[b]Apple is not stupid enought to make such an ugly design and make it look so much like a product they already have!!![b]

I mean, just look at that steel rod thing..... UGLY!!!!

Ya, it does kinda look like an iBook.. the size... but the finish of it looks more like a Powerbook..... Apple would not make such a thing!!

But come to think of it....... what would the LCD iMac look like, if it would ever be released?

Falleron
Dec 14, 2001, 08:28 AM
It will have to have a fixed position screen with very limited mobility (unlike portables screens)

eyelikeart
Dec 14, 2001, 09:28 AM
looks like it would break so easily.

plus I think I've also seen this before...

jMc
Dec 14, 2001, 09:59 AM
The new iMac (if there ever is one) will be a DESKTOP computer. Although it may well be portable, and is most likely to be an all in one cpu/monitor unit, it will have a separate keyboard etc. Apple knows what a desktop computer is...
jx

jefhatfield
Dec 14, 2001, 08:53 PM
I SAW THIS PICTURE ON MACRUMORS LAST YEAR BEFORE THE DUAL USB IBOOK CAME OUT AND THE ONLY THING WHICH SEEMED ACCURATE WERE THE HEAVY DUTY HINGES AND THE COLORING (SOMEWHAT)

IT'S AN OLD PICTURE

ThlayliTheFierce
Dec 14, 2001, 11:36 PM
That is the fakest thing EVER!!! You can see distortion around the Apple logo, almost like it was pasted on...

Kid Red
Dec 15, 2001, 01:04 AM
Does the pic on YourDailyMac kinda look like this-

http://www.applele.com/powerfulbook2_a.jpg

Too Funny.

dantec
Dec 15, 2001, 01:34 AM
Have any of you seen the humor on appleinsider.com? I pasted a link below:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/0101/iCube.jpg

Ok, now the image should show up. Neat huh? If a cube like this existed for a low enough price I might have got one.

[Edited by dantec on 12-16-2001 at 08:37 AM]

Kid Red
Dec 15, 2001, 01:40 AM
For images do-

[IMG pic url here [/IMG]

That's it:)

halloo9
Dec 15, 2001, 05:29 AM
hi,

http://homepage.mac.com/mac009/imac2.jpg
found this pic in an internetmagazine
is this the new imac??

bye

Kethoticus
Dec 15, 2001, 06:42 AM
"http://homepage.mac.com/mac009/imac2.jpg
found this pic in an internetmagazine
is this the new imac??"

Lord I hope not.

irmongoose
Dec 15, 2001, 09:46 AM
Well.. this is ugly...

[edit: image no longer available]

but this is hilarious AND ugly

http://homepage.mac.com/mac009/imac2.jpg

If this waz the LCD iMac... i would gladly become the next anti-Steve Jobs clan member.... or better yet.. the next wiindoze user.....

!?!?

irmongoose

jefhatfield
Dec 15, 2001, 12:21 PM
...but it's overall footprint does not save that much more space than the original imac and that would be a selling point

Foocha
Dec 16, 2001, 12:25 PM
I kinda like the look of the curly iMac - although point taken about the space issue.

I think the big challenge in designing an LCD iMac is to make sure it still has a distinctive personality that will capture the consumer imagination in the way that the original iMac did. If the new iMac just looks like one of Apple's LCD monitors with the motherboard concealed round the back, then Apple will have failed.

The curve is a good attempt at making a reference to the original iMac and giving the new design a point of differentiation.

Remember with the original iMac, Apple were able to protect their design since is was distinctive - they successfully chased off the likes of eMachines who copied their design.

If Apple goes for a small footprint LCD monitor with concealed motherboard design in their bland white and chrome finish, their design will be so generic that anyone could follow it - if they wanted to!!

After the "medical" look of the iPod, I've no idea where Apple will go with the new iMac - it could be inspired, but I wouldn't be suprise if it's a disaster.

Foocha
Dec 16, 2001, 03:45 PM
That top picture is very plausible - it's exactly the kind of bland thing Apple has been designing recently. I just hope we get something more from Apple in January - something that keeps the spirit of the iMac alive.

ThlayliTheFierce
Dec 16, 2001, 11:16 PM
If you want to see bland, go buy a PC. You're calling the powerbook bland? Maybe you liked FlowerPower better. Apple has better designs than anyone in the business, excluding the occasional paint job.

jefhatfield
Dec 16, 2001, 11:49 PM
i am a little concerned with the lack of colors lately and the ibook does look a little like the fujitsu pc laptop which came out a year or two earlier

i like the distictive look of my original ibook even though i know the new ibook is a better machine on the inside

maybe apple is starting to get a little conservative in their approach because that is where the tastes are heading right now when it comes to computer design

i don't mind stock black laptops but i hope apple never starts making beige desktops again

the funny thing is when i see graphic design studios in homes and companies, i will see the sleek G4 on the floor and a giant beige sony trinitron CRT on the desk (this is the most common setup i have seen with professionals who make a living with graphic design)

i wish i would see the more attractive apple LCDs but too many graphics professionals i meet and i hear from in forums still don't accept the LCD for serious work even though a recent macworld issue said that LCDs are getting very close to being within the range of acceptability for color critical work for professionals

Foocha
Dec 17, 2001, 02:55 AM
Firstly - the G4 Powerbook is a fantastic piece of design - I'm using one right now to write this message & I love it. It's not flashy or all bright colours - it's lean, minimal & very stylish. I've yet to see any other portable match it in looks (Sharp has made a noble attempt recently, but they haven't got close).

BUT! The G4 Powerbook is a bright spot in anotherwise dull bunch of designs we've had from Apple of late. The Cube looked like a plastic tissue dispenser, the iPod looks like a stethascope, the iBook looks plasticky and cheap. They're all white and dull - like intruments from a mental assylum where the patients must not be overstimulated.

The clunky, rectangluar, angular form of the iPod does a dis-service to the great thinking behind the device.

I think it's critical Apple brings out an updated iMac, and it needs to be a little more than a fat silver LCD monitor!

On the subject of the way designers set up their workspace - from my experience they have only very limited understanding of the technology they're using, and frequently refer to their monitor as their "Mac" and their Mac as their "Hard Drive!"

iwantanewmac
Dec 17, 2001, 08:31 AM
I don't think those new designs are dull.
And the cube is VERY nice. (at least, that's what I think) If you don't like it, then don't buy 1. Tissue dispenser pffffff. Whatever.
U are using a powerbook G4, and I don't like the looks of it 1 bit. I sold mine after 3 weeks.
Accept that different people have different taste.

guys those so called "I-mac pics" are soooooooo old.

agreenster
Dec 17, 2001, 09:33 AM
Sure, everyone likes different things--thats accepted.

But I think you are in the minorty (and its fine, not a slam) if you dont like the design of the new TiBooks.

Oh, and if the above picture of the new iMacs are legit, (the one with the speaker setup on the front, and the clear, plastic look) Apple has another onehelluva computer.

iwantanewmac
Dec 17, 2001, 09:48 AM
There we go again.
I said "Accept that different people have different taste."
you don't have to repeat that again dummy.

And oh.
I just said that those pics were very old. I saw them on the net a year ago.

and again... YOU think apple has 1 "helluva" computer.

read other posts. Thank god not evry1 likes the same design. I'm glad that a lot of people i know don't own a mac.

Foocha
Dec 17, 2001, 10:34 AM
Aesthetics are of course subjective. Design is in part subjective since it is in part concerned with aesthetics. Equally, however, a large part of design is about problem solving, and as such, it's results and effectiveness can be quantified.

Where a product is designed to appeal to a target audience, as the iMac and the Cube were, its effectiveness can easily be measured by the volume of sales. In this respect, the figures speak for themselves - the Cube failed to find a market. This was largely due to it's high price. In product design, price is always a consideration, and in this respect the Cube was poorly conceived.

The iBook has performed very well, and has proved to be extremely popular, so whilst I don't personally like the way it looks, I would conceed that it is a very effective design. Who knows, however, how much more successful it might have been if it had been design with a little more imagination. ;-)