PDA

View Full Version : Crazy guy puts iPhone 3Gs on RC plane

MacBytes
Jul 16, 2009, 08:44 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Videos
Link: Crazy guy puts iPhone 3Gs on RC plane (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090716094456)
Description:: Probably the most overlooked feature of the new iPhone 3Gs is its ability to take aerial video. In fact, I could find no mention at all of it on Apple’s website. But there’s no denying that this video, taken from an iPhone taped to a remote control airplane, is pretty damn impressive. (Oh, and thanks to the wind noise, you might think it was strapped to a 747, so we recommend you turn down the audio).

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Kilamite
Jul 16, 2009, 08:49 AM
Shows off the good recording quality.

Pity it couldn't have been strapped on a better location.

steve jr.
Jul 16, 2009, 09:47 AM
This is completely and totally awesome! I want to try it! ...now to just get a remote controlled airplane, and an iPhone 3GS...

mygoldens
Jul 16, 2009, 10:08 AM
IT IS A PHONE!

IT IS ONLY A PHONE!

REPEAT IT OVER AND OVER!

I can think of at least 10 video recorders that would do a lot better job!

:eek:

NinjaHERO
Jul 16, 2009, 10:12 AM
"Probably the most overlooked feature of the new iPhone 3Gs is its ability to take aerial video."

LMAO

That is fantastic.

sushi
Jul 16, 2009, 10:17 AM
Interesting video and use of the iPhone 3Gs.

However, the location of the camera (iPhone) could have been much better. It should have been facing forward. And if too much resistance, put in a clear aerodynamic shell. Second, they should have mounted the camera (iPhone) horizontally instead of vertically so the video would look normal instead of the way they did it.

nagromme
Jul 16, 2009, 01:20 PM
IT IS A PHONE!

IT IS ONLY A PHONE!

REPEAT IT OVER AND OVER!

The best (and cheapest) video recorder is the one you already have :)

But he really ought to be controlling the plane via a laptop, 3G, and a custom dock connector.

Rot'nApple
Jul 16, 2009, 04:50 PM
So for about $500.00 we get arial recon... Wonder what the military spends on theirs?! :D

MegaMillions
Jul 16, 2009, 05:09 PM
Why is this any different than taping any video camera to a flying object?

GabooN
Jul 16, 2009, 05:49 PM
should just buy a GoPro camera :D

armoguy94
Jul 16, 2009, 06:45 PM
IT IS A PHONE!

IT IS ONLY A PHONE!

REPEAT IT OVER AND OVER!

lol +1. The only thing I learned from this video was that the resolution that the iPhone 3G S records at is incredibly annoying and awkward.

SnowLeopard2008
Jul 16, 2009, 06:52 PM
IT IS A PHONE!

IT IS ONLY A PHONE!

REPEAT IT OVER AND OVER!

WE DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK

WE REALLY REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK

REPEAT IT OVER AND OVER

I don't understand your point. I could buy a PC and say a more expensive one can encode video or render 3D objects better. That's true. So what?!?!?! There's always something better.

Tenebrous
Jul 17, 2009, 07:56 AM
WE DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK

WE REALLY REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK

REPEAT IT OVER AND OVER

I don't understand your point. I could buy a PC and say a more expensive one can encode video or render 3D objects better. That's true. So what?!?!?! There's always something better.

I agree. There are so many whiners who will complain about WHATEVER they see instead of enjoying what's before them. I don't know if they're perfectionists, professional buzzkills, or what their problem is, but I sure wish I could flag threads on MacRumors as whiny and if enough people voted a post as whiny, it would be purged from the system.

pilotError
Jul 17, 2009, 08:18 AM
If any of you have ever flown RC, the prevailing attitude is...

"Hey, check out my new phone, it records video"

"Cool, lets get some rubber bands and put it on the plane and see what happens"

Then you see the results on Youtube. There's really no fore thought there...

This was something fun to do. I was actually surprised at how sensitive the Audio is on the 3GS. That was an electric plane, which are reasonably quiet and the Video made it sound really loud.

Kilamite
Jul 17, 2009, 08:23 AM
This was something fun to do. I was actually surprised at how sensitive the Audio is on the 3GS. That was an electric plane, which are reasonably quiet and the Video made it sound really loud.

You've obviously never heard a scale model 747 RC plane, nevermind taking into account the wind..

curly14
Jul 17, 2009, 10:17 AM
Faster than a speeding pre palm.
More powerful than a crackberry.
Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Look! Up in the sky!
It's a bird. It's a plane. It's Super iPhone

SFStateStudent
Jul 17, 2009, 10:31 AM
Pretty amazing feat; but I would just use the Maps feature in hybrid mode if I wanted to get an aerial view of my HOUSE.....:eek::eek::eek:

Shasterball
Jul 17, 2009, 11:12 AM
OK, that was damn cool! And the phone seemed unharmed -- pretty good piloting.