Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisbes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Is there any way i can rip ISOs from my Xbox 360 DVDs using the Macbooks superdrive?

FOR Legal Purposes BTW.

armoguy94

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Yes, and it's quite easy to as well. I believe the way to do it is:

1. Pop the disc in
2. Open Disk Utility
3. Select the mounted DVD in the side panel of Disk Utility (to the left)
4. In Disk Utility, go to File > New.. > Disk Image From

Save the image and you now have a clone of the DVD.

Chrisbes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Yes, and it's quite easy to as well. I believe the way to do it is:

1. Pop the disc in
2. Open Disk Utility
3. Select the mounted DVD in the side panel of Disk Utility (to the left)
4. In Disk Utility, go to File > New.. > Disk Image From

Save the image and you now have a clone of the DVD.

Nope. That just creates a copy of the files that the drive is able to 'see' on the disk.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Are you sure you're not breaking the EULA by backing up Xbox 360 iso's?
As they as say in the internets 'inb4close'?

Chrisbes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Are you sure you're not breaking the EULA by backing up Xbox 360 iso's?
As they as say in the internets 'inb4close'?

In the UK your allowed 1 backup of each game you own.

And whys this been moved here? I wanted to know if it was possible with the macbook drive :s

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
In the UK your allowed 1 backup of each game you own.

They may be allowed by UK law to own a backup.

However any discussion which could allow the piracy of materials / breach of copyrighted material on these forums is not ;)

https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
They may be allowed by UK law to own a backup.

However any discussion which could allow the piracy of materials / breach of copyrighted material on these forums is not ;)

https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Okay, and your point is?

He's not breaking any laws, and he's not pirating anything.

OP, I'd use a DVD ripping software to rip a .ISO off the game, and then use a ISO burner to burn it.

In Windows, I used DVD Shrink to rip ISOs off DVD's (Legal DVDS, that I owned, not games or anything). I forgot the name of the ISO burner I used, but there are plenty of ISO burners.

I'd try a trial before buying any programs though.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Problem is, "backing up" games would then require a hacked 360 in order to play them. One has to wonder why you would do such a thing (inb4 disc rings, irresponsible children, crazy ex-girlfriends, dogs, etc.)

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Problem is, "backing up" games would then require a hacked 360 in order to play them. One has to wonder why you would do such a thing (inb4 disc rings, irresponsible children, crazy ex-girlfriends, dogs, etc.)

Because ...

nah, this isn't leading anywhere good ...

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
One does not need a "hacked" Xbox to play games on it - you may call it a "hack", but all that really needs to happen is that the optical drive needs flashing.

Not to mention there are consequences for playing two copies of the same game. On XLive, it get you banned. There are such things as "Stealth ISOs" on which one still needs a flashed drive to play; but personally I do not have the guts to void my warrentee to even start on that sort of a project, in addition to downloadable ISOs not exactly making me feel ethical in any sense of the term.

Although it seems like a good idea in the long run; just recently one of my friend's drives went faulty and ate a couple of his games, so to speak.

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
So far I've chipped every console I've owned (that can be chipped) except for the 360 and PS3. Haven't done the PS3 because there is nothing out there, and one can install linux as one desires. Didn't do the 360 because I am on my 5th one. I have no desire to void my warranty on a product that has failed me so very often.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Okay, and your point is?

He's not breaking any laws, and he's not pirating anything.

Your missing the point.

Information/discussion which may be used to enable others - regardless if its the OP's intent or not - to pirate or procure software that breechs copyright / law is generally prohibited on this site.

Posting solutions as to the query of how to burn Xbox 360 software - regardless of intentions of the OP - could assist in procurement of illegal software by others.

If you have a problem with this - then please take the matter up with the GODS or ADMINISTRATORS.

Again please read the MacRumors RULES.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Your missing the point.

Information/discussion which may be used to enable others - regardless if its the OP's intent or not - to pirate or procure software that breechs copyright / law is generally prohibited on this site.

Posting solutions as to the query of how to burn Xbox 360 software - regardless of intentions of the OP - could assist in procurement of illegal software by others.

If you have a problem with this - then please take the matter up with the GODS or ADMINISTRATORS.

Again please read the MacRumors RULES.

Ah, that makes more sense...

My fault, I wasn't trying to start a fight or anything, I was just wondering how that related to this conversation. But, yeah, I guess that's true if somebody else see's it, then they can use it to copyright

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.