Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GedBlue

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Leeds, UK
Hey everyone, I'm after some advice.

When I use my mac, at no particular time, the fan speed just shoots up to over 6000rpm (according to iStat pro): and I can hear the difference from the laptop, it's very loud compared to normal fan speeds.

It lasts about 5 minutes before returning to a normal 1800rpm (ish).

I took it to a genius to ask them, they ran diagnostics on all the hardware and said there was nothing wrong with it - however there obviously is!

The screenshot below shows the dashboard displaying fan speed, it also shows that I only had Firefox, iTunes, preview and google desktop open!

picture1xpg.png

The fan speed is only around 2000 if I have parallels, skype, office, cyberduck, vlc, adium, ichat, evernote open etc!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Kat King123

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
firefox is using alot of cpu it from facebook when im on it usually using about 50% cpu so if uve been on for a while the fans should spin up remember your macbook only has one tiny fan to cool it you shouldnt be worried at all :)

GedBlue

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Leeds, UK
It really doesn't seem right that it's due to facebook on firefox. Let me elaborate.

I've had parallels and lots of other CPU intensive processes going together for hours at a time and never exceeded a fan speed of 3000rpm.

This sudden increase to 6000rpm (double that maximum with intensive usage) happens at very random times, with barely anything open, possibly after ten minutes of usage, even in a very cool environment.

There is no correlation between the sudden increase in fan speed for a short time, and the intensity of usage/time using the macbook.

Does anybody else get anything near 6000rpm? Even a genius said it was very unusually high!

Thanks

Benny-

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
My fan speed (white Macbook) also shoots up and becomes loud when I'm on a website containing plug-ins.
Flash seems to be the worse watching videos on BBC iPlayer or Youtube always increase my fan speed even if Safari is the only program running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.