PDA

View Full Version : "Comcast Mobile App" Hits the App Store

MacRumors
Jul 16, 2009, 11:04 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/16/comcast-mobile-app-hits-the-app-store/)

U.S. cable TV and Internet provider Comcast has released Comcast Mobile App [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=320788270&mt=8), Free], offering integrated access to the company's Digital Voice, Digital Cable, and High-Speed Internet services on the iPhone. Macworld provides an overview (http://www.macworld.com/article/141583/2009/07/comcast_mobile_app.html) of the application's package of features.

The Comcast Mobile App lets you access your Comcast e-mail, manage your Digital Voice account, peruse Comcast's TV listings, and watch trailers for movies on Comcast On-Demand. The opening interface can be viewed as a list, a grid, or in a CoverFlow-like icon rotation. Shaking the iPhone switches between these three views.

The application offers a "SmartZone" inbox that displays both e-mails and voicemails for Comcast subscribers, viewable either in a combined feed or in separate lists. The application also allows for management of the subscriber's Digital Voice account, providing such features as call logs and call forwarding settings.

Comcast Mobile App also offers television listings, providing the ability to mark shows as favorites, share program descriptions over e-mail, and set reminder alerts for shows. Unfortunately, the application does not offer a DVR interface that would allow subscribers to remotely schedule recordings. Finally, the application offers on-demand viewing of movie trailers. Comcast is reportedly looking at ways to offer additional content beyond trailers, but there is no word on when new content might be deployed.

Article Link: "Comcast Mobile App" Hits the App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/16/comcast-mobile-app-hits-the-app-store/)

Eddyisgreat
Jul 16, 2009, 11:17 AM
Pretty cool. I like the TV listings. Now I don't have to roach titan tv every time I need to know what the next show is about.

Speedracer04
Jul 16, 2009, 11:31 AM
I wish they included a way to pay your bill from the app...

Fafafoooey
Jul 16, 2009, 12:15 PM
Why can't Cablevision offer an app like this?

JDawg76
Jul 16, 2009, 12:18 PM
I wish they included a way to pay your bill from the app...

or program your DVR :)

deannnnn
Jul 16, 2009, 12:37 PM
Comcast doesn't allow us to set our DVR from anywhere but the DVR itself. No mobile services, no setting it online. I just don't understand why TiVo & DirecTV can do it no problem, but Comcast neglects to give us the feature. Do other cable providers like Time Warner allow remote DVR setting abilities?

rdowns
Jul 16, 2009, 01:30 PM
Why can't Cablevision offer an app like this?

+1

Contact them and tell them you want it. I did.

http://optimum.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/optimum.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

MarkAK
Jul 16, 2009, 01:30 PM
By default it is set to look for messages every 5 min.
I had to go into setting and turn it to manual.

itsjustmeee
Jul 16, 2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah, without being able to program your DVR from this program, it's mostly useless in my opinion. We can answer our comcast emails already and there are various free tv guide apps out there. The On Demand is nice, but if you're not in front of your tv set, what good is it? And if you are in front of your tv set, do you really need this app??!!

SFStateStudent
Jul 16, 2009, 01:41 PM
Comcast HD isn't available with this new app; and it only displays so many channels. They need to include HD or it's useless to those with Comcast HD....:(:(:(

80s Fan
Jul 16, 2009, 02:10 PM
By default it is set to look for messages every 5 min.
I had to go into setting and turn it to manual.

How does this work? Doesn't this check your e-mail ONLY when you are already in the app? I can't imagine Comcast would be able get this to check e-mail while you are in other apps or not using the phone.

MarkAK
Jul 16, 2009, 02:31 PM
Comcast HD isn't available with this new app; and it only displays so many channels. They need to include HD or it's useless to those with Comcast HD....:(:(:(

It shows HD in the 700 range of listings.

MarkAK
Jul 16, 2009, 02:32 PM
How does this work? Doesn't this check your e-mail ONLY when you are already in the app? I can't imagine Comcast would be able get this to check e-mail while you are in other apps or not using the phone.

Good quesiton.....

I dont know.

It is checking every 5 or 10 or manualy on there server and then sending an alert ot your phone when it needs to?

Speedracer04
Jul 16, 2009, 03:04 PM
Good quesiton.....

I dont know.

It is checking every 5 or 10 or manualy on there server and then sending an alert ot your phone when it needs to?

or just set up your comcast email to go to the email app already on the iPhone? why go to two places to check email?

SFStateStudent
Jul 16, 2009, 03:39 PM
It shows HD in the 700 range of listings.

Ok, I'll check it out; thanks.....

UPDATE: Yup, I like the app except for the DVR options....

Excellerator
Jul 16, 2009, 04:02 PM
Comcast doesn't allow us to set our DVR from anywhere but the DVR itself. No mobile services, no setting it online. I just don't understand why TiVo & DirecTV can do it no problem, but Comcast neglects to give us the feature. Do other cable providers like Time Warner allow remote DVR setting abilities?

Time Warner doesn't allow remote setting either. I wish they did. Looks like only Tivo and DirectTV do.

pacmantech
Jul 16, 2009, 04:28 PM
The app is fairly useless without DVR recording. I'd pay good money if I could remotely program my DVR.

I'm guessing it's close to impossible because Comcast utilizes different boxes in different markets, and a lot of the DVR boxes aren't even close to being able to offer that technology.

longofest
Jul 16, 2009, 07:12 PM
Time Warner doesn't allow remote setting either. I wish they did. Looks like only Tivo and DirectTV do.

Verizon does with fios, but we'll never see an iPhone fios app (unless the iPhone makes it over to Verizon, which i highly doubt despite the occasional trickle of rumors).

OneMike
Jul 16, 2009, 08:13 PM
it's not a bad app but I don't really see any advantage to this over i.tv other then the on demand

somedcmacguy
Jul 16, 2009, 09:49 PM
The app is fairly useless without DVR recording. I'd pay good money if I could remotely program my DVR.

I'm guessing it's close to impossible because Comcast utilizes different boxes in different markets, and a lot of the DVR boxes aren't even close to being able to offer that technology.

I've seen some of the early proof-of-concept work. It works, and it's coming. Probably to comcast.net initially but other apps over time. You're spot on about the different boxes being a challenge, but I think there's a plan to address that (not sure what it is). But remote programming of DVRs is high on the list of new features to roll out. So is multi-room viewing, etc (first iteration will have the same program only one unit that FiOS has). There's a lot of new features they're trying to roll out in the next 18 months. The release schedule is moving from glacial to a more aggressive approach.

Basically they're going to start leveraging a lot of the companies they've been acquiring over the past 3 years like thePlatform and Plaxo. There's rumors of them writing an API as well, which would allow 3rd party developers to write apps as well, although I'd bet they'll restrict the hell out of it ala-VZW.

<can't use my real name>

somedcmacguy
Jul 16, 2009, 09:52 PM
I've seen some of the early proof-of-concept work. It works, and it's coming. Probably to comcast.net initially but other apps over time. You're spot on about the different boxes being a challenge, but I think there's a plan to address that (not sure what it is). But remote programming of DVRs is high on the list of new features to roll out. So is multi-room viewing, etc (first iteration will have the same program only one unit that FiOS has). There's a lot of new features they're trying to roll out in the next 18 months. The release schedule is moving from glacial to a more aggressive approach.

Basically they're going to start leveraging a lot of the companies they've been acquiring over the past 3 years like thePlatform and Plaxo. There's rumors of them writing an API as well, which would allow 3rd party developers to write apps as well, although I'd bet they'll restrict the hell out of it ala-VZW.

<can't use my real name>

Oh, almost forgot one of the coolest things I saw demoed: Change the channel via web service... So a future iPhone app 'should' be able to program the DVR (right from the channel guide) AND be used as a basic remote to change channels. Not sure if that one will make it out of the lab but It was pretty damn cool to see...

deannnnn
Jul 17, 2009, 12:30 AM

<can't use my real name>

That's such good news.
I'm not going to ask how you know this... but do you have any idea of a time frame until remote DVR settings rolls out?
In the Miami market where I live, we use the same Motorola boxes that FiOS uses and I'm sure they are perfectly capable of remote DVR support. If differences in boxes in different markets are a problem, you'd think they would universalize the boxes across the entire comcast network or at least just offer advanced services in the markets that are capable of handling them.
What ever happened to the whole Comcast integrating TiVo menus and services into the Comcast set top boxes? Did that ever deploy? Is that ever going to go network wide?

ChefJayPeek
Jul 17, 2009, 12:52 AM
Looks like only Tivo and DirectTV do.

Dish Network says they do, but as my DishDVR isn't online yet, I have not been able to test it yet. I think it is only from a webpage so far, and not an app.

Chef Jay

paul100
Jul 17, 2009, 02:04 AM
Comcast has given a wonderful iPhone app. Where you see the TV programs listings. Watch movie trailers on demand and many more. We would be happy if they would have provided even movies on demand too.

prairiefire
Jul 17, 2009, 05:29 AM
To use this, it appears that you need a Comcast.net account. I have a Comcast.com account -- although Comcast delivers my email, I use Earthlink.

I can't get this app to work because it requires an "account" with a .net ending. Mine has .com.

Anyone with .com making it work? Obviously, I don't expect (or need) email support. I just want the TV side.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

sjh

phillipjfry
Jul 17, 2009, 06:05 AM
comcast epic fails again :(
AT&T uverse looks sweeter every day

wacky4alanis
Jul 17, 2009, 08:38 AM
I like that you can listen to Comcast voicemail on it. Other than that, I probably won't be using it. I could already view my e-mail on the iPhone, and I already use Tivo mobile to control my DVR and check listings.

cs123456
Jul 17, 2009, 08:43 AM
No DVR from app...FAILED

deannnnn
Jul 17, 2009, 09:33 AM
comcast epic fails again :(
AT&T uverse looks sweeter every day

Yeah I ask myself that a lot... but in terms of internet, Comcast > AT&T

comcaster
Jul 18, 2009, 10:34 PM
Comcast is now on the iPhone bandwagon. On Thursday, Comcast, the largest cable operator in the U.S. by subscribers, announced a free application for the Apple device that lets customers check their Comcast email and home voice mail as well as surf their TV schedules.

The new Comcast iPhone app

the application has gotten largely positive reviews in the blogosphere. Gizmodo calls it a “surprisingly nice little app,” while MobileCrunch says it’s “a good, solid offering.

Download the app : http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=320788270&mt=8

comcaster
Jul 18, 2009, 10:35 PM
This feature is coming in next release.. and it will be better than DirecTVs DVR which doesn't do conlflict management

Che Castro
Jul 18, 2009, 10:40 PM
this is the worst app ever

ok first who the hell uses there comcast.net account
it took me forever on the phone with comcast for them to reset my password and tell me my email address

you cant pay your bill or view your account

the tv guide sucks

i.TV is better

this app is only good for people with a comcast phone service to check voicemail & even then you can check your home voicemail from any phone just by entering your pin

worst app ever :(

celticpride678
Jul 18, 2009, 10:44 PM
RIGHT ON THE MACRUMORS HOMEPAGE!

Please do not start duplicate thread!

Here is the link

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/16/comcast-mobile-app-hits-the-app-store/

Slip Jigs
Jul 19, 2009, 08:15 AM
I recently dumped Comcast for WoW so when I saw this app I felt that maybe I made a huge mistake. Then I saw that the app doesn't provide the one feature that would be the coolest and most useful- programming the DVR!

comcaster
Jul 19, 2009, 01:28 PM
with all due respect close to 14 million users use comcast.net ..and if you don;t know what all smartZone lets you do ,,, you are in for a surprise.. I saw this app in the to 20 free entertainment apps on iTunes.

DVR is coming in the next release as reported by people who are working on it..and it will not be the normal DVR function but much better than anyone has ever offered..

00146CB58122
Jul 19, 2009, 03:31 PM
In the UK there's the Sky+ app that allows users to set recordings on their Sky+ DVR.

As far as I know Sky (satellite) is the most popular pay TV service in the UK with significantly more customers than Virgin Media (cable). I'm not sure if Virgin are working on an app as they also have their own DVR product.

Che Castro
Jul 19, 2009, 04:17 PM
with all due respect close to 14 million users use comcast.net ..and if you don;t know what all smartZone lets you do ,,, you are in for a surprise.. I saw this app in the to 20 free entertainment apps on iTunes.

DVR is coming in the next release as reported by people who are working on it..and it will not be the normal DVR function but much better than anyone has ever offered..

in what year will this be available?

Rot'nApple
Jul 21, 2009, 11:30 PM
When is Cox Communications cable service gonna follow suite?! :rolleyes:

TroyBoy30
Jul 22, 2009, 10:08 AM
this is the worst app ever

ok first who the hell uses there comcast.net account

I do

genetic
Jul 22, 2009, 12:18 PM
I do

as do i. quite a few people do actually :p . and thank GOD comcast will be adding in dvr control, ive been waiting and wanting this for some time now.

TroyBoy30
Jul 22, 2009, 07:56 PM
I'd love dvr control!

hchavarria
Jul 22, 2009, 11:01 PM
I hope the DVR functionality truly becomes available, I just switched from DirecTV to Comcast and this is one thing I will be missing. I would have chosen UVerse but it's not available in my area yet.

SFStateStudent
Jul 23, 2009, 04:17 AM
Anyone with .com making it work? Obviously, I don't expect (or need) email support. I just want the TV side. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. sjh

Sorry, but my Comcast email ends in .net....:(:(:(

Why not check with customer service (be careful you could be on the phone for quite awhile).

nws0291
Jul 28, 2009, 10:13 AM
It would be sweet if this app could turn off their sandvine throttle software for my internet service. It cuts out once an hour and I need to reset my router because they send the fake reset packets. I don't even download bittorrent files. This is just surfing the web :(