PDA

View Full Version : Random shutting down of my powerbook 15" 1.25 al

dhan
Jun 9, 2004, 12:25 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering if this was only happening to me...

when I close my powerbook and I open it again, occasionally, the pb doesn't come back from sleep. The glowing light turns off on the open/close button but the screen or the hd fails to resume. So i close it again, but now the glowing light on the open/close button doesn't turn on. So after mashing some keys and trying to press/hold the power button for a while finally I hear the hd start spinning again and this time the computer boots up as if it was shut down and osx starts to load. this has happened to me about 5 times so far in the span of about 2-3 months.

i own a 15" 1.25 ghz powerbook al

dan

Biker21098
Jun 9, 2004, 01:18 AM
I too experienced this, but only once. I know some people have been having wake from sleep problems associated with sidetrack. Do you have side track installed?

dhan
Jun 9, 2004, 01:41 AM
I too experienced this, but only once. I know some people have been having wake from sleep problems associated with sidetrack. Do you have side track installed?

actually, i do have sidetrack installed... you think thats the primary cause? cause i think once or twice this has happened to me even berfore i installed any modifications to the os

herrmill
Jun 9, 2004, 03:52 AM
I suffer the same problem on rare occasions & do not have side track. I normally just hold down my power button & restart.

mickr7an
Jun 9, 2004, 04:07 AM
Yes. I have this problem frequently. About once a month my 15" powerbook won't wake up. It's a known bug discussed on other websites and hasn't been fixed by the latest OS update.

I've been told it is a failure in the wake up process to send a message to the screen. That hasn't helped me much. i just want it fixed.

dhan
Jun 9, 2004, 04:16 AM
Yes. I have this problem frequently. About once a month my 15" powerbook won't wake up. It's a known bug discussed on other websites and hasn't been fixed by the latest OS update.

I've been told it is a failure in the wake up process to send a message to the screen. That hasn't helped me much. i just want it fixed.

hmm you would think apple has the sleep/wakeup process down on a 2000+ dollar machine. a little more reliability here...

one of my friends almost turned away from buying a mac after seeing my little wake up debacle :confused: not good at all :o

herrmill
Jun 9, 2004, 04:34 AM
yes, pretty poor service from the company that makes what I consider a very nice notebook.

wrldwzrd89
Jun 9, 2004, 04:40 AM
hmm you would think apple has the sleep/wakeup process down on a 2000+ dollar machine. a little more reliability here...

one of my friends almost turned away from buying a mac after seeing my little wake up debacle :confused: not good at all :o
Back when I had a 15" PowerBook I had this problem too. I was just as frustrated by it. Fortunately, my iMac has never given me this problem.