Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delfs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Hi -

I've had this white 2Ghz MacBook for little over 2 years.

After I replaced the harddisk, and especially recently, the MacBook's started to get really warm, and if I run anything CPU intensive for like half and hour, it often shuts down.

Right now, I have Thunderbird (doing nothing) and Safari (on MacRumors only) running. I've noticed that the windowserver process is using about 13% of CPU occationally, but nothing else is using any resources.
The fan runs at 6192rpm and the laptop is really hot.

I've attached a screen dump of iStar Pro.

Would anyone know what the problem might be, and how to solve it?
The harddisk itself isn't hot at all.

Thanks in advance!

jonas

Attachments

• istatpro.png
    istatpro.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 94

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
UK
I'd reset your SMC.

This sounds like it would work straight away. But can I ask did this start happening to you after installing 10.5.7? I installed 10.5.7 and mine were constantly at 6000RPM. I fixed it by installing the 10.5.7 Combo Update.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
This sounds like it would work straight away. But can I ask did this start happening to you after installing 10.5.7? I installed 10.5.7 and mine were constantly at 6000RPM. I fixed it by installing the 10.5.7 Combo Update.
10.5.7 seems to be full of bugs across many notebook lines.

It's probably something to do with the kernel extensions that interact with the SMC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.