Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SSD's in it's own forum ?

• Total voters

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I see no need

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I vote no but I refuse to use the poll because I am unsure what "whatfore" is.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'd recomment a storage sub-forum

SSD is too narrow.

A storage forum would be used for discussion about RAID, SSD, Optical (Blu-ray etc) and more.

That would be better IMO.

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
UK
I don't think the subject is common enough to demand it's own forum. Also I think it is better for people to use the hardware forums for machine-specific problems/questions about SSDs.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Op I don't understand why you think it would stand on its own? As of now its mentioned in conjunction with their respective parent topics (i.e. in the forum relating to the hardware group).

SSD's are still a bit too expensive (for the good ones) so the mass won't have adopted them yet. Most of the people using things like x25-m's in their MBP's and Mac Pros are used to solving their own problems.

musiklov3r

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Seems like a reasonable suggestion to me. Although I haven't contributed much to these forums, I did experience the process of searching through them extensively before I made the transition to SSD drives.

There are a lot of minor issues for those of us who are interested in making the ssd switch to research such as:

Which drives/controllers have stutter issues?
What adaptors will work in a Mac Pro?
What's the best way to clone the existing operating system drive without losing authorizations of installed apps (I still haven't figured this one out yet)?

Plus there are questions like the following:

When will the next generation be released driving current prices significantly lower and providing options for improved performance?
Does it make sense to raid a system drive with a pair of ssd's or just use one?
What firmware updates are available and what positive or negative impacts will they make?

Finally, I wonder what kind of performance difference streaming samples off of a ssd drive would make for music software or other applications that are disk intensive. Is this just one of many questions those interested in SSD's might have?

Would others have the same types of questions as SSD prices become more reasonable? Would it make sense to have all of these topics in one easy to find location?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
What was there before Hard Drives, floppy disks?

Well, when Hard Drives came out, was there (in any forum) a different section just for Hard Drives?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.